New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Guys,

Can mileage readings be tampered to make the car look it hasn't been used a lot to increase resale value?

Are some guys honest about this thing?

How can we tell which mileage reading is true?

appreciate any comments...

thanks

city

2. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Mileage readings can be tampered.

Some things you can check are the condition of the tires, seats, handbrake lever, gearshift lever, carpet, foot pedals and steering wheel. Usually you can see the material/plastic worn out in places...

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The odometer can be tampered. Madami gumagawa nito.

Tip: Try to get cars na may complete record sa casa.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by chris_d
    Mileage readings can be tampered.

Some things you can check are the condition of the tires, seats, handbrake lever, gearshift lever, carpet, foot pedals and steering wheel. Usually you can see the material/plastic worn out in places...
    Yup that's where I usually base it, sa interior pieces. Siguradong di makakalusot ang pagkakalbo ng steering, gas/brake pedal, carpet (where the heel rests sa gas pedal), shifter, door handle and driver's seat (where the thighs rub) kung mataas na mileage.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Even the digital odo readings can be tampered.

Do the math also; get the average yearly distance travelled by the car then try to fish from the owner/seller what the usual daily route is (work distance, school, etc). Usually less than 10K-12K a year and the car is 2nd owner or being sold by a "buy and sell", medyo duda na ako. IMO (this is just based sa observations ko), a typical car averages around 15K a year more or less.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Avoid getting sa mga "buy and sell". As much as possible kuha ka sa mga direct sa owner. Or pwede din sa mga pre-owned na hawak ng casa, like Ford and BMW. May six (6) month warranty pa.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    With the mileage thing din, kung direct owner yan, tignan mo nadin kung ilang oto nila hehe, kung 3 oto nila tapos 2 lang nagdridrive sa household, malaki chance na low mileage nga yan.

Like what Vinj suggested, simple questions like where you live and where your work location is will give you a good hint of mileage.

Although di sya given, of course.

Like in my case, when my wife was still working her office is 3km from our house and my office is 6km from our house only, so average travel a day is between 10-12km/day lang. Multiply that by 6 (usually may coding day diba tapos weekends usually di ganun kadalas labasan) you get around 60-72km/week x 4 = 280km/mo+/- x 12 = 3500km/year +/-... Give or take we travel to Batangas around 6x a year you add around 1200km on top of that so less than 5K/year lang mileage namin... hehe

Ngayon mas malupit, i use the car 3x a week lang (including weekends), mga 150km/mo lang kami ngayon... or less :P

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Theveed: Hehe ayos tipid sa gas ah! Ako pag hindi malakas ang sikat ng araw I walk to the office.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Mas ayus yan Bry hehe... Sarap ng ganun...

Iniisip din namin lumipat sa malapit sa office ko, pero ganun din coz mga malalapit na condos may bayad parking...

Commute lang ako usually, P40 balikan hehe.

thnaks for your comments guyz...at least i know i shouldn't trust odometer readings when buying a used car.....first time ko kasi.....i'm still trying to decide which to buy....hehehe..singit ko na to sa thread na ito a..thanks!

alin kaya?

1994 toyota gli m/t= 210K
    1997 vtec m/t (yung kay spider_67)=250K
    1998 mitsubishi glxi=220k
    1997 mistsubshi glxi ltd edition ni marlo=270K
    1993 toyota xl =140k
    1996 Honda accord exi = 240K
    1997 toyota gli = 255k

appreciate your suggestions!

thanks,

city

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast