New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    I wouldn't say there is no such thing as investing in a car. Yes, a majority of modern cars will not retain or gain any value for the simple reason that they are mass produced. If you drive a Civic, Corolla or any modern car don't expect it to gain value. However, there are exceptions to the rule such as American muscle cars made in the 60's and early 70's. A lot were sold for $3k-$5K brand new and now some of them in stock condition with the proper papers can sell for 10X their brand new price with some going as far as six figures. Taking into consideration that the owners used them and changed oil, bought gas, etc. it may not seem like an investment that hadn't gained anything. But the owners also enjoyed those vehicles when they used them and if there is one with low mileage then the cost of maintenance would also be low. So in essence the owner would have a car that appreciated in value but also had the chance to enjoy their vehicle(which to me is priceless). There are not many things that you can enjoy using and still gain value as it ages. An investor can't drive or enjoy a stock or mutual fund and even a house and lot really doesn't gain value if you take into the account the cost of maintence and taxes.
    Last edited by redorange; March 14th, 2009 at 02:07 PM.

2. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    We normally hold on our cars for 8 years... Mga barat kasi kami dito eh hehehehe But since light duties lang naman kami our cars last long. Hell, I still have a 1999 Accord mag 10 years na sa May. We have a Landcruiser also celebrating 10 years this year.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    is it possible to maintain a car forever? The better question is, do you have the passion, dedication, time and money to do so? heck ,if you have all the money in the world, you can get someone to custom build you whatever parts you need.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by redorange View Post
    I wouldn't say there is no such thing as investing in a car. Yes, a majority of modern cars will not retain or gain any value for the simple reason that they are mass produced. If you drive a Civic, Corolla or any modern car don't expect it to gain value. However, there are exceptions to the rule such as American muscle cars made in the 60's and early 70's. A lot were sold for $3k-$5K brand new and now some of them in stock condition with the proper papers can sell for 10X their brand new price with some going as far as six figures. Taking into consideration that the owners used them and changed oil, bought gas, etc. it may not seem like an investment that hadn't gained anything. But the owners also enjoyed those vehicles when they used them and if there is one with low mileage then the cost of maintenance would also be low. So in essence the owner would have a car that appreciated in value but also had the chance to enjoy their vehicle(which to me is priceless). There are not many things that you can enjoy using and still gain value as it ages. An investor can't drive or enjoy a stock or mutual fund and even a house and lot really doesn't gain value if you take into the account the cost of maintence and taxes.
    hey readers! who among you would exchange your hard-earned monies for a 40 year old, 50,000 dollar car that you'll have to construct a garage for, that you won't dare drive in the rain, and whose spare parts are about as common as a tasmanian tiger?
    like i said. all bets are off. vanity. for it hath many faces. the driving force behind the exhilirating prices of these "highly sought-after" cars, is not economics, but vanity! the "i want to own it - look what i have" syndrome! for without vanity, no one will fork out large sums of money for these old cars...
    and i won't expound on the economics of how much money you can get when you invest 5,000 simoleons over a 40 year spread. suffice to say, i would sue my banker if all i got was 50,000 clams...

5. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    4-5 years, 100K miles, or until the warranty expires. i don't get attach to my cars. i enjoy them while i have them.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Oldest is a 1994 Lancer GLXi, 115T km.

It's pristine, not prestine.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Nakakamatayan na namin ang mga sasakan dito. I guess that's long enough... But for daily drivers, usually nothing more than 20 years old.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by badkuk View Post
    is it possible to maintain a car forever? The better question is, do you have the passion, dedication, time and money to do so? heck ,if you have all the money in the world, you can get someone to custom build you whatever parts you need.
    Its possible as long as spare parts can be found or made for the car. Older cars with less electronics are easier to maintain forever because electronics do have a limited lifetime. Classic american muscle cars are examples of what is worth maintaining. There are even a few Ford Model T cars still in running condition.

9. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    kung ako, hanggang tumatakbo at mahal ko ang auto ko, sige lang! lalo na pag may sentimental value ang auto, mahirap pakawalan

10. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    it really depends. pero statistics show most guys let go of their old cars after they attend a party with most guests having brand new cars at the claim valet.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
How many years can you hold on to a particular car model?