New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Hi guys, I'm here again to ask for some advice. This time its for a project car, I'm looking at a base price around 100-150k (repairs/retuning +30k) and right now I'm keen on getting the Civic hatch from circa 1992 and up. In the past few days I had been viewing on online markets like sulit, tsikot and philmotors for some deals. I found some interesting cars on sale.

Please give me your input on this one.

1998 Honda Civic VTEC for sale | Manual transmission - Cars Unlimited

I believe its an EK model, should be a converted RHD to LHD.

Salamat~

2. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Project car lang ba for resing-resing?

Try mo Toyota Starlet.

Rear wheel drive, pwede rin pang drift.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2011
    *lowslowbenz: project car boss, secondary car na rin pang opisina.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    If you're looking for a project car, I'd suggest you get something stock and not something that's already been someone else's project. We don't know if the modifications (especially the engine swaps) were properly done, or if you will have numerous headaches in the future. It also kinda diminishes the fun of having a project car, if everything's done already. If it's something that's also gonna be used for work, I'd suggest you get something practical, reliable, and has excellent parts supply.

I don't think that EG hatch in your link is a converted unit, what with it's T-plate which indicates that it is a circa-1993 unit. It does have a swapped VTEC engine. D16, I think. Unless you're very passionate about getting the EG hatch, I'd suggest you get something newer. An SX8 City or B14 Sentra are good alternatives. I've driven the SX8 and it's actually really good. Very light body, fast even with the stock 1.3L engine, has excellent handling and gives great gas mileage even with a rather heavy foot (around 9.5km/L pure city driving in my case).

5. Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Wow thanks for the response GTi. I just thought that it was an EK model based on his title 1998 Civic LOL though I have some doubts upon viewing the picture as it looks like an EG to me.

I like the looks of the Civic hatch, so I am contemplated to get one for myself. The thing with the Civic Hatch is its still very much expensive even for the models that are 20years old, so I'm not really sure what my 150k can buy. Anyhow I'm still trying to look for a better deal, yup I'll try to look for much newer and at least stock condition. I appreciate your help.

6. Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Just an update I asked my wife to call the seller on the above ad. To our surprise the price of the car jumps to 250k from 130k as stated on his ad. LOL Really~~ I'm still looking for other deals. I will be glad if anyone can recommend or forward me a Civic Hatch within my budget. Thanks

7. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    At 150k, you can already buy an EK Civic. EG hatches are ridiculously expensive in the 2nd hand market, even the very bare ones since they are very sought after as project cars. Not practical IMHO.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

8. Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Thanks GTi you been very helpful. I'm actually looking into Cagayan or Subic however I came across with this article.

LTO, Customs to strictly enforce EO 156 ban on 'surplus cars' - News

Is this currently implemented by the government? I mean plate numbers starting with B(from Cagayan) and R(from Subic) will not be renewed by the LTO? Thanks.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    hello, i used it before with Manual transmission. it gives me a good driving experience. but i don't think it is worth convert RHD to LHD.

10. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by brian_t View Post
    Thanks GTi you been very helpful. I'm actually looking into Cagayan or Subic however I came across with this article.

LTO, Customs to strictly enforce EO 156 ban on 'surplus cars' - News

Is this currently implemented by the government? I mean plate numbers starting with B(from Cagayan) and R(from Subic) will not be renewed by the LTO? Thanks.
    As of now, I don't think so. I'm not really sure what the status is right now but people I know who have surplus cars with B and R plates were all able to renew their registration as of late.

It is quite a risk though, in getting a converted vehicle, unless you can be sure of the quality of the conversion and the condition of the car. There is the possibility that you'll be getting many headaches in the future. If you're into JDM, I'd suggest you get a local vehicle and swap in JDM parts instead.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2