New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Mga bossing, I plan to replace my ever reliable stock '95 Toyota Corolla GLI with a more fuel efficient car. I'm currently getting 7.5 - 8 km/liter with my ride in city driving, which I think is normal.

I only usually have my wife & my 2 year old daughter as passengers. We do have some of my daughter's baby stuff to lug around to the in laws every week which fit well in my current car's trunk.

I would be spending a maximum of 200K (nagtabi nako for repairs) on the purchase after I've sold my Corolla.

Would a Picanto (2005?) be better than a City Z (2000-2001 model) since its relatively newer? The city would have a cargo trunk though. I've considered the Getz, but they seem have a higher resale value than the Picanto & City. Or should I consider other cars? I would like to get a max of a 1.3 engine to save on fuel. Gaano sila katipid sa gas compared sa Corolla? Is it worth changing my car?

My priorities in order are:
    1. fuel efficiency
    2. parts availability
    3. reliability & ease of service
    4. just enough space for some groceries/ babies stuff

Your advices are highly appreciated.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    I'd go with the City Type Z on this one, after all the Picanto wasn't that efficient. It's frugal to maintain and more spacious than the Picanto, too. Making dumping groceries in better, no matter how plenty are they, compared to the Picanto which has a tiny luggage space.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Since may pamilya ka na, get the bigger car. You might not have enough space to put you and your family's stuff if you get the Picanto. Meager engine performance may take some getting used to if you're coming from an AE101 GLi. Is your primary reason for selling your car wanting to have better gas mileage?

I agree with bro renzo here. The City Type-Z would be a great car to have. As compared to other 1.3L cars during that time, it was one of the few, if not the only one to have EFI. Which makes it much more powerful but still retaining its low fuel consumption. I would still suggest you get the City Type-Z 1.5VTi M/T though. You get a lot more performance, but fuel efficiency would still be reasonable.

The City in this ad here (Sulit ID 4888283) shows what seems to me to be a very well maintained City Type-Z VTi. Price would still be a bit over 200k after negotiation but I believe it's a worthwhile purchase since you most probably would not need to spend much, if any, for further repairs.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Hard to find a City at a decent price. If you can, it's a good car. Only major thing to look out for is rust.

The old Picanto MT is relatively efficient, but I wouldn't recommend it, because of the tiny back seat and trunk. A Getz 1.1 is a very good buy if you can find one at the right price. Very good passenger space, decent cargo space, and a small 1.1 liter engine that gets pretty good economy... at least out here in the provinces.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Yes GTi, my priority would be fuel economy. I could live with a 1.3l engine. I did live with a Kia Pride 1.0 before I had the AE101 .

Alright I'd probably go with the City as most of you guys have suggested.

Anyways, what are the differences between the LXI and EXI models aside from the engine?

Are there any differences between the 2000-2001-2002 versions?

Any other inherent "weaknesses" of the City aside from rusting I should look out for?

Thanks guys and more power!

6. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by arcane101 View Post

Anyways, what are the differences between the LXI and EXI models aside from the engine?

Are there any differences between the 2000-2001-2002 versions?

Any other inherent "weaknesses" of the City aside from rusting I should look out for?

Thanks guys and more power!
    1. Lxi is 1.3cc black door handles and side mirrors. Exi is 1.5cc same body color handles, side mirrors and chrome sidings on the doors and trunk plate area.

2. No difference, only the upholstery design of the seats and side doors.

3. Check the suspension components and probable leaks from the engine bay.

Good luck on your car shopping. Btw I know a seller of a type z if you are interested.

7. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    You'll find the complete specs here. motioncars.com | Honda City (1997 - 2003) EXi was phased out halfway though so its not there. EXi uses a 105hp 1.5L non-VTEC engine. If you're getting that, might as well get the 115hp VTi which uses the same engine with VTEC, getting better performance and fuel economy. Also if you get the VTi, you most probably won't be missing the power of your old AE101 when you hit the highway.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Your comments & suggestions are appreciated guys.

BTW, what do you guys think about a NISSAN SENTRA GX 2003 model? I saw one kasi for 220,000, still negotiable. Just curious.

9. Join Date
    Apr 2008

BTW, what do you guys think about a NISSAN SENTRA GX 2003 model? I saw one kasi for 220,000, still negotiable. Just curious.
    Bro, medyo malakas sa gas yan dahil underpowered. 1.3L engine hirap sa ganon kabigat na kotse. I suggest you avoid.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002

considering the quality of nissans. this is a good buy, imho.
    just make sure na good condition pa yung oto.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Honda City Type Z or Kia Picanto