New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    May titignan akong 2nd hand 1997 Isuzu fuego 4x2 sa saturday. Hingi lang ako sirs ng inputs on how to check the roadworthiness ng sasakyan.Konting tulong lang po mga diesel masters. Sensya na wala talaga ako alam sa diesel and first time buyer ako ng 2nd hand unit. And also, which do you prefer to buy from: private owner/seller or 2nd hand car dealers?

2. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Test drive it to a gas station and have it checked by a mechanic with the approval of the owner

3. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Thanks for the input Oceanrider88! but can a mechanic really help in determining the flaws of the unit? I read somewhere here sa isa sa mga threads that they used the services of a mechanic still he wasn't able to pinpoint what the problems were so they ended up forking out quite a lot for repairs. I remember it was also a fuego 4x4 unit that was sent to the provinces. The owner lives there and the unit was bought here in Manila or something like that. Will it be enough if I just test drive the unit? right now my concern is the diesel consumption, considering the age of the vehicle, it is already ten years old with about 100k mileage. Do diesel engines increase diesel consumption as they get older?

4. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    I think a mechanic is better trained than us. Best to bring to the nearest calibration center - those mechanics are diesel experts. They will be able to spot any problems better than us. The only concern is if the owner will allow you to bring the vehicle to the calibration shop. Or get a calibration mechanic from a nearby shop and bring him to the pickup location.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    personally i go for private seller..

6. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    I too prefer private sellers. Its like what you see is what you get. Pag sa dealers malinis na yung unit,both inside and out, although some vehicles in the display smell like those really old cinema houses. I'll follow your advice oceanrider88 and if the mechanic spots a problem I'll use it as basis para makatawad. thanks

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ravenclaw View Post
    May titignan akong 2nd hand 1997 Isuzu fuego 4x2 sa saturday. Hingi lang ako sirs ng inputs on how to check the roadworthiness ng sasakyan.Konting tulong lang po mga diesel masters. Sensya na wala talaga ako alam sa diesel and first time buyer ako ng 2nd hand unit. And also, which do you prefer to buy from: private owner/seller or 2nd hand car dealers?

Sir, before anything else kindly check the papers. (OR and CR ) its natural pag may sira sa 2nd hand car. money lang po ang katapat niyan goodluck and happy driving

8. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Got the 4x2 isuzu fuego. Its 98 model pala. Newly painted. Taka lang ako kasi yung plaka sa likod e brand new yung condition (the plates mismo) yung sa harap luma na. 71k ang mileage. Di kaya inatras lang ito?. Lahat ng nasa loob di gumagana speedometer, radio power windows etc. Thanks sa inputs!

Help! Procedure on checking out a 2nd hand unit