The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    yeah.
    the hyundai kona and the kia stonic...
    relatively new cars.
    any long-ish term reviews from actual users-owners?
    We own a Hyundai Kona for almost 3 years now. No issues aside from the tire pressure monitor system acting up sometimes. Other than that, it's a solid car. A bit boring but its fuel efficient and comfortable.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by beachbum View Post
    mine is 2005 lancer gls cvt 130T km. first owner. planning to keep it as long as it last.
    i used to drive a 2003 lancer mx with cvt.
    very roomy interior. very nice driving comfort.
    i got rid of it when "something better came up".
    fuel-wise kasi, it thought it was a camry...
    how's your gls fuel picture, sir beach?

3. Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ice15 View Post
    I'm a "car guy"

the seating position, the ergonomics and the handling.

Hence, voting for the Corolla Altis.

Note: I didn't check the specs of the Altis... But a car without the following in 2022 is definitely a no-go for me.
    -reverse camera
    -reverse sensor
    -CarPlay
    -DRL
    Reverse camera and sensor can be installed easily for a small amount.
    Yung android auto and apple carplay, I dunno but I feel like buying a phone mount and sticking the usual modern oversized phones in there produces similar results.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    I'm a "car guy"

Note: I didn't check the specs of the Altis... But a car without the following in 2022 is definitely a no-go for me.
    -reverse camera
    -reverse sensor
    -CarPlay
    -DRL
    i have both an altis and an innova.
    there are days, when i couldn't decide what car to use. each has its pros and cons, kasi.
    no sooner after i spend the week driving one,
    that i get the yen to drive the other, the following week.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I'm a "car guy"

-reverse camera
    -reverse sensor
    -CarPlay
    -DRL
    I’d still pick a Civic over the Altis unless I will get the Altis for free or maybe a car plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    i used to drive a 2003 lancer mx with cvt.
    very roomy interior. very nice driving comfort.
    i got rid of it when "something better came up".
    fuel-wise kasi, it thought it was a camry...
    how's your gls fuel picture, sir beach?
    it is on the high side when city driving, highway driving is much tolerable. as it is an old engine and old technology, i expect it on the high fuel consumption. about 12km/l on highways, 7-8km/l in city. i just like the simplicity of old cars. new technology for me seems gimmicky.

7. Join Date
    May 2018
    Buying a vehicle is a major financial decision, let alone your 1st car purchase pa. Based on your original post, I've summarized in bullet points so I can understand your specific needs.

Quote Originally Posted by janjanjan View Post
    Asking for your opinions to help me choose my first car to buy
    - Usual drive routes will be from QC to bgc/taguig/makati/ortigas/eastwood
    - I will be daily driving it, also pang out of town during long weekends. Usually me and gf lang ang sakay.
    - I've been longing in driving a mazda car.
    - Toyota badge for reliability.
    - Ang pinaka concern ko lang dito is yung ground clearance
    - best value for the price depende sa nashare kong details, and also practicality.
    - Planning to use the car long term so reliability is a must.
    My first take away, you said you'll drive it daily around the metropolis. So I'd put emphasis on reliability, driving experience, and practicality (gas consumption, traffic, parking, maintenance).

Because of your bad experiences in 2 out of town trips, ground clearance became a consideration, hence the addition of Corolla Cross in your choices. My suggestion is you narrow down the choice between Mazda 2 vs. Corolla Altis.

I think your heart says Mazda, but your head says Toyota. So I'd test drive both Mazda 2 and Corolla Altis. When you're on the driver seat of each car, ask yourself: Is this the car I'd like to drive almost daily to work, to out of town trips? Which car would you rather spend a big chunk of time & money?

If being on the driver seat of Mazda2 satisfies that longing, then game over. One may argue about reliability of a Toyota badge. If you're up to date with PMS schedule and drive responsibly, you'll be fine with Mazda just the same.

But if you're leaning towards Corolla Altis, remove Mazda2 out of the equation and test drive Corolla Cross next. Then ask yourself the same thing, which of the two Toyotas would you rather spend time & money?

Since you're in no hurry to buy, you have the luxury of time. You're doing the right thing: asking questions and researching. Good luck on your buying adventure!

8. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by hardwang View Post
    The CVT of the "ipis" honda city though...
    Hahahha I secretly agree

9. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    I'm a "car guy"

-reverse camera
    -reverse sensor
    -CarPlay
    -DRL
    Not really a car guy but I do have Same sentiments/requirements. I'll just add a bigger cabin for my 7ft imaginary height and brake assist.

Those mazda3 and mazda2 are so small inside

10. Join Date
    Oct 2021
    Quote Originally Posted by rico_yan View Post
    My first take away, you said you'll drive it daily around the metropolis. So I'd put emphasis on reliability, driving experience, and practicality (gas consumption, traffic, parking, maintenance).

Because of your bad experiences in 2 out of town trips, ground clearance became a consideration, hence the addition of Corolla Cross in your choices. My suggestion is you narrow down the choice between Mazda 2 vs. Corolla Altis.

I think your heart says Mazda, but your head says Toyota. So I'd test drive both Mazda 2 and Corolla Altis. When you're on the driver seat of each car, ask yourself: Is this the car I'd like to drive almost daily to work, to out of town trips? Which car would you rather spend a big chunk of time & money?

If being on the driver seat of Mazda2 satisfies that longing, then game over. One may argue about reliability of a Toyota badge. If you're up to date with PMS schedule and drive responsibly, you'll be fine with Mazda just the same.

But if you're leaning towards Corolla Altis, remove Mazda2 out of the equation and test drive Corolla Cross next. Then ask yourself the same thing, which of the two Toyotas would you rather spend time & money?

Since you're in no hurry to buy, you have the luxury of time. You're doing the right thing: asking questions and researching. Good luck on your buying adventure!
    You certainly got it right, sir! Thank you for that. I'll narrow down my choices between the Mazda2 and Corolla Altis.
    I am thinking na baka pwede naman muna ako makipag swap ng kotse sa dad ko kung kinakailangan sa out of town trips hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by hardwang View Post
    It's a left field option but would you consider a Hyundai Kona?

Decent engine performance, slightly above average ground clearance (180mm ata?), fuel efficient, no fancy complex direct injection that gets the intake valves fouled up eventually, no CVT, pretty simple and reliable since not much can go wrong. However it's a bit barebones similar to the corolla cross.
    I also think that Hyundai Kona is also a solid choice. Pero mas tiwala lang ako sa known reliable brands like Toyota, Honda, and Mazda.
    Although malaki na rin improvements nila compared noong bago bago pa lang sila sa PH.

As for the CVT transmission naman, isa sa videos ni Scotty Kilmer na napanood ko ay sinasabi niyang most reliable CVT kay Toyota at Honda compared sa other brands. Hindi ko lang mahanap yung video for reference kasi ang dami na niyang uploads..

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast