New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    Ticking time bomb daw yung CVT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    They've gotten better daw... But they also say CVT's will cost more to maintain w/ closer pricey periodic fluid swaps than conventional & the timer will continue ticking....daw.Help me choose a brand new car for 2022: Mazda2 / Corolla Altis / Corolla Cross

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

2. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by travajante View Post
    They've gotten better daw...
    if the vehicle i like gives me a choice between CVT and AT,
    i'll probably choose the AT.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    if the vehicle i like gives me a choice between CVT and AT,
    i'll probably choose the AT.
    Don’t bother buying a new Vios or Altis or Corolla Cross. They all have CVT trannies. The same with most Honda’s - Brio, City, Jazz, Civic, Mobilio, BRV, HRV, and CRV gas.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Don’t bother buying a new Vios or Altis or Corolla Cross. They all have CVT trannies. The same with most Honda’s - Brio, City, Jazz, Civic, Mobilio, BRV, HRV, and CRV gas.

alas! you are correct...

5. Join Date
    Jan 2015

Not like there aren't any worthy nonCVT options.Help me choose a brand new car for 2022: Mazda2 / Corolla Altis / Corolla Cross The electrics are coming....won't be for keeps, but cleaner, simpler. Hopefully, they'd get more affordable.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2021
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    152 - 140 = 12 mm difference in ground clearance. that's a shade less than half an inch. that's the diameter of our little pinky.
    i do not think that amount will amount to much of a difference, in general driving.

but if ground clearance is a big issue for you,
    go corolla cross.
    read the reviews, po.
    a reviewer says the cross is too expensive for what the car offers. not many toys, daw.

test-drive the vehicles, po.
    get the more comfortable drive.

good luck.
    Hehe oo nga po ano. The 12mm difference is just small. Thank you for pointing that out.
    I'm planning to test drive din po. Just asking for others' opinions din po baka may mga hindi pa ako narerealize before purchasing one.

Quote Originally Posted by hardwang View Post
    Out of those choices, corolla cross is the winner. Most practical because of the bigger space and versatile cargo space. It's also pretty rare for a Toyota, meaning hindi pa nakaka umay tignan.
    Thank you for your inputs po.
    I agree, kokonti pa lang din nakikita kong corolla cross and I wonder why. Not sure kung dahil sa ka-kumpetensya na chinese brands at dahil mahal lang din presyuhan niya. Para sa akin naman, kaya ko cinoconsider kasi konti na lang difference sa Altis.

Kung compact sedan, get a Civic and be done with it. Decent interior space coupled with decent handling.

If opting for a crossover, I suggest you stretch your budget a bit and aim for the likes of a CX5 or Forester. For the smaller crossovers, the Geely Coolray and Ford Territory are solid options.

The CX5 is my dream car. Pero set aside ko muna sa priorities. After na lang siguro kapag may sarili ng bahay at pamilya.

Subcompacts, like the 2DJ Hatch we have, are a good 2nd car. We got it coz we needed a smaller 1 for heavy traffic use. The 2: Easy, fun drive, tuneable & very reliable. Non-CVT means lesser care, no ticking timebomb & better for longterm ownership. It's my go-to over the larger vehicles we have if I don't need to haul stuff or passengers. If Mazda manners are on top of your wishlist, the slightly larger & taller option would be the CX3. 2liter Skyactiv w/o iStop. Even more fun than the 2, but priced above your budget. Check offers as its about to be cancelled. And....Yojin5 means nothing out of pocket for maintenance the 1st 5years.
    Another good nonCVT small car that can get you anywhere is the Jimny. A real 4x4. I'd put this atop those 3 on your list. Just don't expect it to be economical. And the mods, if you're into them, will be constant temptations.Help me choose a brand new car for 2022: Mazda2 / Corolla Altis / Corolla Cross
    For a lone car, more space would be more practical. Cost-per-cubic-meter-wise, they'd give you more bang4buck.

Thank you sir for sharing. I guess we have the same purpose when considering the Mazda2 kasi most of the time, sa city ko ito gagamitin. If I only have the money, I'd skip the CX3 and CX30, and go for CX5.
    As for the Jimny, tempting siya considering na sanay ako sa SUVs. But I think not practical siya para sa first car ko.

Quote Originally Posted by EQAddict View Post
    How about the chinese crossovers? Geely or MG? If you are looking for value for money, performance, features, etc...those have it in spades and are within your budget. Also they have large dealership networks already so service should be okay.

Or the city 5 door hatch?

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
    I'll pass po muna sa chinese brands unless proven na good for long term siya. I myself is using a chinese phone.
    Actually, I was considering also of the City hatch. Only concern ko dito is yung ground clearance. 2 of my out of town trips, hindi ako makakadaan unless mataas yung ground clearance ng gamit ko.
    1st is yung sa Zambales (The Glamp). Rainy season ako pumunta at may baha na dadaanan. Hanggang kalahati ng gulong yung baha. If I was driving a sedan, no choice siguro ako daanan kasi malapit na yun sa place at bayad na yung tutuluyan namin..
    2nd naman yung sa Rizal (Ridges and Clouds nature camp) na hindi talaga passable ng sedans dahil walang kalsada. Na-test ko offroad capabilities ng Ranger dito.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    All these CVTs and so many failures in the news... ..... Wait for it.... Wala Naman...

8. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by StockEngine View Post
    All these CVTs and so many failures in the news... ..... Wait for it.... Wala Naman...
    They're fine bought new & sold after a while. USED w/o care/use history or for keeps?...nevermind.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by StockEngine View Post
    The CVT of the "ipis" honda city though...

10. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    They're fine bought new. USED w/o care & use history?...nevermind.

this caveat is also useful for...
    anything used!
    ... not only cars and car parts..

my first car was an ex-taxi.
    i learned many things, repairing her.
    yung headlight bulbs lang yata ang hindi ko pinalitan.
    heh heh.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast