New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Hi. First time to post here but I’ve been reading the previous posts for quite some time now. I used to laugh at an office mate for spending so much time on this site a few years back when he was buying his car. Now I find myself in the same situation. Buti na lang di ko na kasama sa work ngayon. ☺

It’s my own family’s first time to buy a car. I’ve been using a hand me down from my parents, mid 90’s Honda civic for quite some time now, casa maintained, 125k odo. Their other car which I get to drive often too is a Honda crv. I am very satisfied with both despite their age now. I also am satisfied with Honda’s aftersales (despite their infamous price – but they get things done and fast, even call you after a month or so if all is well). Given a choice I would buy Honda but we’re currently looking for a mid size diesel SUV – which unfortunately Honda Phil doesn’t have one in their lineup now. Their nearest thing is the new CRV which in my opinion is so Ugly ☺

So now we’re faced with a dilemma and wanted to get the opinion of you guys. Looking for a mid size SUV diesel, 5-7 seats, large cargo space, my stuff and that of my toddler alone fills up the present car’s cargo) preferably MT (never used an AT before but willing to give it a shot) budget is 1.3-1.5M, would prefer one with a back up camera. I would prefer a model which won’t be replaced with an all new generation one by next year or so – I wouldn’t like to be still be paying monthly installments for a car which will be referred as lumang model na. haha. Facelifts fine but an all new one no. Had a friend kasi who bought a Tucson then in less than a year the gorgeous new model was released. Will be used for work – 100km a day half expressway, half city/town – medyo masikip roads.

Some choices:
    1. Montero sport – on its 2 or 3rd year? So ok lang. I can wait for the 2011 with the new engines, but wifey really hates the Montero’s butt. We saw some front and rear bumper mods in one dealer, though which improves the looks and the wifey is willing to accept. Not too much toys/equipment inside though. Medyo madami monty’s on the road though but the good thing though is that we will be assured that parts will be available.
    2. Fortunner – too old, too many
    3. Everest – we like the brown one. Despite the boxy look still is proportional. But I knew someone who had so much trouble with the technical repairs of his 2 big fords.
    4. Sta Fe – if only the Tucson had a big enough space, I wouldn’t be writing this but would have gotten it already. Sta fe – looks good, not too many on the roads as the MS and fortunner but not rare either. Nice interior and amenities inside. I would have preferred it already but I saw the Hyundai America video where the CEO stated that they will be releasing a new not facelifted one by end of 2011 and this got me worried.
    5. Sorrento – the best in terms of looks IMO but most expensive at 1.7-1.8 M But when I went to the dealer, the diesel wasn’t available. They were offering a gas 5 seater for 1.5M though.

I posted a similar query in another forum. What do you guys think?

2. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Yeah tama ka the Santa Fe is getting old, though maganda naman. Kahit Fortuner maganda pa kahit luma na. Fresh parin ang looks.

Pero dun palang sa sinabi mong kelangan may backup camera, Santa Fe agad ang panalo diyan, hindi mo na kailangan magpakabit.

Ang Montero Sport nasa mid-life na kaya ilalabas na yung minor model change (New VGTurbo + Paddle shifters + 5 speed auto + honeycomb grille).

Kung gusto mo ng fresh, Kia Sorento. Medyo mahal pero galante naman mamigay ng discount at freebies ang dealerships ng KIA. At kung hindi pa naman talaga kailangan, baka makapag intay ka pa sa 7-seater CRDi kung sakali.

Kung gusto mo talaga ng M/T, Montero Sport GLX 4X2 M/T / GLS 4X4 M/T or Fortuner 2.5 G M/T.

Ikaw rin, kung ano talaga gusto mo, yun ang sundin mo. Test drive mo lahat yan. Pakiramdaman mo kung ano talaga pinaka comfortable ka at ang family mo. Huwag mo sila kalimutan isama sa test drive.

Satisfied owner of a 2010 Tucson CRDi & Santa Fe CRDi here. We just sold our 2009 Montero Sport..
    Last edited by Starex_Gold; January 24th, 2011 at 11:32 PM.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2010
    bumili ka na lang ng silky bronze na tucson crdi premium

4. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by hondaboot View Post
    bumili ka na lang ng silky bronze na tucson crdi premium
    Out of the budget, OB.. Kami nila denki may afford nun :hysterical: Kahit di kami fit naka "Premium" naman at hindi na pala Premium tawag sa Tucson namin. Ha ha ha!

Sooooo OB
    Last edited by Starex_Gold; January 25th, 2011 at 01:14 AM.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Starex_Gold, hondaboot

Sirs, thank you for the replies. Yun bang silky bronze na Tucson available lang for the premium? (1.78M)

Ok naman for me to shift to AT but kailangan diesel talaga. Sayang lang yung inoffer na KIA kasi gas. BTW, di po ba mahirap and matagal antay parts ng KIA if for example we need to have it repaired in the future?

Mukhang kailangan talagang mag-antay. Na excite kasi ako masyado nung nagbigay na ng go signal the wife

6. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ka-chow! View Post
    Starex_Gold, hondaboot

Sirs, thank you for the replies. Yun bang silky bronze na Tucson available lang for the premium? (1.78M)

Ok naman for me to shift to AT but kailangan diesel talaga. Sayang lang yung inoffer na KIA kasi gas. BTW, di po ba mahirap and matagal antay parts ng KIA if for example we need to have it repaired in the future?

Mukhang kailangan talagang mag-antay. Na excite kasi ako masyado nung nagbigay na ng go signal the wife
    Nope. Available for all variants yung Silky Bronze sir. Nang-aasar lang si hondaboot kasi inggit siya sa'kin. Di niya afford e

Yung parts ng Kia, siguro ok na ngayon. Though mas mabilis ang parts ng Hyundai kasi mas malaki ang company nila dito.. Pero you can ask the Sorento owners here:
    Kia Sorento Group

Kia Sorento Pictures

IMHO ok naman yung gas na Sorento, pero better parin yung diesel for more power. Pero you'll end up spending more on the maintenance sir.

HELP - in deciding which suv to buy