New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Hello!

Newbie here! I've been learning a lot from this great site (Thank you!) as a lurker and this is the first time I'm posting. I hope someone can help me with my question:

We're planning to trade / sell our '96 Accord and get a more compact second-hand car. Based on affordability, fuel efficiency, and overall performance, which car would you recommend?

And saan po ba may ok na dealership near QC?

Thank you!

2. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    That's a nice car you have! We used to have a '97 Accord too! If you sell that, that'll mean you get around 200-250k depending on the condition of the car. Now, how much are you willing to add up? That'll be important for us to help you decide on which car will be the best buy for a particular budget.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Thanks GTI!

Our budget would probably not exceed P300k. But we'd really prefer it if we could get something for P250k, or maybe nothing more than what we'd get for the Accord if we sell it.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    If you don't mind downgrading, I suggest the 2000 Civic VTi. It has a great engine that's fast and fuel efficient coupled with a very willing chassis. Performance parts are very easy to find too. What do you want and/or need in the car? What are your priorities?

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    It might be possible to get a five or six year old Nissan Sentra on that budget.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Thanks Sirs!

My sister will primarily be using it for work. She needs to travel an average of 10-15km per day. So maybe the car doesn't have to be too big.

What do you think of subcompact cars like the Hyundai Getz? Can we get an old Swift of Jazz on that budget?

7. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Ah sister at hindi ikaw! Kapag ganun, you're better off with the N16 Sentra Exalta as it is very much loaded as compared to the rather barebones Civic VTi. It is quite a slouch though, one with quite poor handling as well especially if compared to the Civic. Swift or Jazz? No, you need to add more and I think the same's true with the Getz as well. And I'd rather get a compact sedan than a subcompact. Who wants to drive an econobox when he can get something better?

8. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Thanks Sirs!

Haha opo, sa Ate ko. Well she finds the subcompact cars cute and we figure that it must be more fuel efficient than the compact cars. But thanks Sirs, we'll look into the cars you mentioned.

Out of curiosity - what's the cheapest 2nd hand small car (is it accurate to say "kei car"?) in the market nowadays?

9. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Kei cars are those that have engines of 600cc and below. So, there are no kei cars in the Philippine market aside from the reconditioned ones from Norkis. The Getz CRDi is a very good subcompact although I doubt you'd be able to get one for 300k.You will be able to get converted Cagayan Jazz units though. Its a very nice car, with great performance and fuel economy but with bad resale value due to being a converted unit. Its your call. I'd suggest a converted Jazz VTEC or a Nissan Exalta for your budget.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Thanks again Sir!

Sobrang helpful so far. I'm also reading the other thread by Pasterlei because it looks like we have the same budget. And maybe even the same taste as my sister haha. So far all the comments have been very helpful.

We're seriously considering a sub-subcompact car for its fuel efficiency. Sobrang mahal ng gas lately and we're trying to cut down on costs. But we'll talk about the Exalta also. Pero di gusto ng Ate ko iyong itsura haha.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Getting a compact car