New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Hi,

I would like to seek the advise of everyone, also a few questions for enlightenment, and as to guide me in purchasing my first car. (2nd hand vehicle).

I've been recently browsing a few units, mostly from dealers/reseller since there is plenty from where I'm working.

one conversation I had with a seller during my check, I asked regarding the history of the vehicle / registration / their procurement of the cars.

the seller mentioned that:

a. the vehicle was from the province and it had been transported here in manila, paperwork's been settled to get PROPER transition from the point of origin to here.

b. the vehicle was bank repossessed. (auctioned / bough by the lot)

here are some of my questions.

1. what are the possible problems of a vehicle being transported from the province?
    2. would there be any issues that would hamper this transition?
    3. does the text inquiry of LTO return accurate results? (plate# / make / model / year / last registration / apprehensions and alarms.
    4. is buying repossessed vehicles better than buying from resellers?

I was not able to follow most of the seller's terminologies since it is my first time, I've no exposure in this kind of stuff yet.
    but I do understand that, a-lot happens to things when they are bought of and sold again. (repair/replace on gadgets/laptop/phones/game consoles).

In case it matters,
    the vehicle that I'm probing is the suzuki apv, my budget plays around 300k-350k, and I've seen quite a few floating around in olx already. showrooms rarely have them parked.

any other things I might have missed, or important stuff that should be put into consideration, will gladly appreciate for all the tips and clarifications. most stuff I look into during my search is, mileage, year, sound and feel of engine, interior, ext., c.r, service records. etc.

Thank you.

2. Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Buying repossessed cars are both a hit or miss, but surely you'll get both.
    - bank repossessed, you'll have little to no problem with papers
    - mechnical/electrical issues with the unit? - expect the worst, better yet bring your tools and a trusted mechanic before buying the unit.
    - cars are sold as is where is condition. DO NOT believe "not flooded" as 60% it might have been flooded. (from experience)

from my experience, bought 2009 foton blizzard from a direct lot buyer of repossessed cars. It was advertised not flooded but upon checking under the floor cover, behind break and head lights its confirmed to have been flooded. Spent 50k to have it checked, repaired and repainted. until now the thing runs excellent no complaints. Travelled manila - laoag - tuguegarao - isabela on a full tank 50 ltrs with more to spare.
    For me its a very good buy. 2009 Foton Blizzard is almost = to 2003 Isuzu Fuego non turbo.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Important read and understand the unit's history and record. Mine was bought by orig owner december 2009. Repossessed by bank dec 2011. Unit was not voluntarily surrendered. Posted by bank for sale jan 2014. Online seller bought from bank sept 2014, got it sept 2014. Waited for 2 weeks as it took that much time before the bank was able to release the papers to the online seller in turn i could study it.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    i

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

if i may suggest... look for actual car owners who are selling their cars.
    they will probably give you a better price..
    some of these are selling their otherwise perfectly-good cars, because the new car is arriving next week, and they do not have space for it..
    yes, it takes more effort, but that may be worth it in the end.
    if you have an adventurous spirit and you like to talk to people, this may be the thing for you.

the advantage of going to the car dealer, is that you can look over several units in the same place, saving you time and effort.

have fun.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Thanks so much!

I read all your replies the past months, I totally forgot to comment back!

anyway, points well noted and advise were taken seriously.

I was able to get a 2011 avanza for a lot less than my budget, mil was below 50k, and RFS was the owner was "getting a new car". I'm so happy for the purchase TYSVM

6. Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Thanks so much!

I read all your replies the past months, I totally forgot to comment back!

anyway, points well noted and advise were taken seriously.

I was able to get a 2011 avanza for a lot less than my budget, mil was below 50k, and RFS was the owner was "getting a new car". I'm so happy for the purchase TYSVM