New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Hi Sirs/Madams,

Need your expert opinions on the following choices for our new car.
    Ford Fiesta Sport Sedan, Toyota Vios G MT, Honda City 1.5 ENC
    1. Easy to maintain - don't know much about cars
    2. Fuel consumption - daily commute from Cavite to Makati (on a night shift though so less traffic) + hatid sa school ng mga kids
    3. Fun and comfortable ride - got 2 kids

And my wife is hesitant on automatic transmissions so she's leaning more on the Vios. I like the Fiesta because of the looks, technology and seems fun to drive. Honda because of its reliability and looks too.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by donseeland View Post
    Hi Sirs/Madams,

Need your expert opinions on the following choices for our new car.
    Ford Fiesta Sport Sedan, Toyota Vios G MT, Honda City 1.5 ENC
    1. Easy to maintain - don't know much about cars
    2. Fuel consumption - daily commute from Cavite to Makati (on a night shift though so less traffic) + hatid sa school ng mga kids
    3. Fun and comfortable ride - got 2 kids

And my wife is hesitant on automatic transmissions so she's leaning more on the Vios. I like the Fiesta because of the looks, technology and seems fun to drive. Honda because of its reliability and looks too.

There is no Fiesta Sport sedan, the top-of-the-line sedan is called Titanium, it is only available with a dual-clutch Powershift transmission with +/- manual shift function.
    If you want a manual transmission Fiesta, you'd have to move down to the mid-level Trend model (P748K) which has the same 112PS 1.5 liter Ti-VCT engine as the high-end Sport and Titanium model.

My personal choice is still the Fiesta, this German-engineered car is not only one of the best handling in its calss (fun to drive), it's also one of the safest in its class.

"the total package is a compelling argument for anyone looking for a well-built, solid-feeling car that's actually fun to drive."
    -Top Gear Philippines, September 2013 issue

Maintenance/ PMS(Preventive Maintenance Service ) of ASEAN assembled Fords are almost the same as those of Japanese-branded cars, this was pointed out by a forum member here who owns both a (pre-facelift) Fiesta and a Toyota Yaris.
    I agree with him based on my experience with our Mk2 Focus.
    There are also stores in Banawe that carry Ford parts like Mazford, Fordland, Thunder etc.

This is how a MT Fiesta 1.5 Trend sedan(P748K) looks like.

At the end, you and your wife should still test drive all three cars, if possible try to schedule them close to each other so you can make a clear comparison based on your needs or the features you prioritize.
    Last edited by AG4; October 6th, 2013 at 07:32 AM.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Thanks Sir AG4. We visited Toyota and Ford dealerships last week and chose the Fiesta over the Vios' interior. We scheduled a test drive on Friday so my wife can have a feel of the Sport's AT transmission. I also like a manual tranny but I love the extras on the TOTL variant.
    Just when we found our winner in the Fiesta, a friend suggested the Honda 1.8 S MT (which is almost of the same price after the discount) and made us rethink our options again. It's confusing when there are lots of factors to consider. Is it fair to compare TOTL sub-compact against an entry level compact? Is the Civic a gas guzzler? Or is it better getting a bigger car? Sorry for the tons of questions. We really appreciate your help. More power to this forum.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    A manual transmission 1.8 should be close to an automatic 1.5 in terms of fuel economy. Should, but there are other factors.

It's cheaper to own and maintain the smaller car, but I don't know by how much... haven't seen replacement parts prices for the new Civic, yet. FD parts were kind of on the expensive side.... but since the new car uses some of the same parts, prices might have gone down already.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Apr 2013
    go for the fiesta!

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by donseeland View Post
    Thanks Sir AG4. We visited Toyota and Ford dealerships last week and chose the Fiesta over the Vios' interior. We scheduled a test drive on Friday so my wife can have a feel of the Sport's AT transmission. I also like a manual tranny but I love the extras on the TOTL variant.
    Just when we found our winner in the Fiesta, a friend suggested the Honda 1.8 S MT (which is almost of the same price after the discount) and made us rethink our options again. It's confusing when there are lots of factors to consider. Is it fair to compare TOTL sub-compact against an entry level compact? Is the Civic a gas guzzler? Or is it better getting a bigger car? Sorry for the tons of questions. We really appreciate your help. More power to this forum.
    If you need the extra space, go for the bigger car.
    What you will miss out on when you get the bigger base trim car vs the TOTL Fiestas are some features like ESP (Electronic Stability Program), front fog lights, voice-activated Sync system, 16 inch alloy wheels etc

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Assuming the cost of those TOTL subcompacts are equal or near a mid-level compact, I guess the bigger car will be a better option specially if used as a family car.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    Assuming the cost of those TOTL subcompacts are equal or near a mid-level compact, I guess the bigger car will be a better option specially if used as a family car.
    I guess it's really a choice between a larger vehicle with less features and a smaller TOTL vehicle that is better equipped with more features/ safety features.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    I have a fiesta sport. My cousin has a city-E. We got our cars around the same time in 2010. Now, both our cars are in the 30-40k kms mark. We use the same stretch of route since were practically neighbors. My fiesta's nvh has held up pretty well while that of my cousin's city is really noisy na. The tire noise, engine noise and vibrations really penetrate the cabin. My point is, the fiesta aged more gracefully than the city.

Only issue with my fiesta is the r&p which the casa replaced under warranty. The powershift issue i dont notice anymore 9 out of 10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by dcph172; October 9th, 2013 at 04:26 AM.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Thanks po sa mga expert advice. We don't need the extra space right now but having a bigger 2nd row and trunk would come in handy when needed. Hopefully, pag test drive ng Fiesta would seal the deal for us. First time kasi namin sa AT tranny kaya medyo maraming apprehensions lalo na sa maintenance.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast