New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Hey guys,

I need your help. I am a newbie when it comes to cars. I never had a car before and right now I am planning to buy a 2nd hand car. What should I keep in mind when buying 2nd hand cars? My budget is between P100,000 to P150,000 only. I hope you can help me. Thanks a lot.;)

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ae92 or if you're lucky, ae101 corollas ang mabibili mo... pwede rin mga lancer itlog

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Factors.... Interior, Exterior and Engine. You should really scrutinize the car youre buying... once youve chosen a model of course.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    For starters, you could edit the size to smaller fonts. We are not that old enough yet to notice it.

Entry level models will be your choices, Lancer, Corolla or Sentra. Most of them should be in their 7-9 year of service. Don't bother to look at the odometer reading, most 2nd hand vehicles sold are probably tricked. Check for emmissions, this is probably the good source to see if engine is still fine. Interior wise, sterring wheel and shift knob check, shiny leather or plastics indicate excessive use. Driver seat inspection also is a give-away, you can easily compare if the seats have sagged comparing it with the passenger seat.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    some hints pa (from a first-time, 2nd-hand car owner)

1) reserve 20k or 30k (better!) for repairs and maintenance; yes i know masakit ito pero walang magawa; if you max out your budget to buy a car tapos it's broken somewhere.. iyak ka when you can't use it

2) better to stick to cars with cheap parts, like toyotas and mitsu's

3) siguro mas OK ang carb-type na engine. EFI cars tend to have expensive diseases, pag nasira computer or some sensors, it will put you in the poorhouse (example: a new distributor/ignitor module for my car costs 25k)

i guess that means.. with 150k budget and put aside 20k for your repairs, you can get a nissan sentra series II, corolla 1989-1992 (AE92), maybe a mitsu lancer itlog (if you're really lucky..) or a boxtype mazda 323.

it really depends on what you need the car for -- transportation, or a "luho." para sakin luho yun eh, it costs more to maintain a car than take the taxi. pero kung transportation, and important to you, you have to choose reliability and cheap maintenance over everything else. translation: AE92 toyota corolla. :P
    Last edited by orly_andico; March 22nd, 2004 at 07:22 PM.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    u may opt for an ae92 for that budget, but go for the GL 1.6 with all power

preferably from first owner, better yet from someone you know...

if u come into choosing bet 2 cars with all others things almost equal, consider din knowing kung san ang daily routine nung tsikot (home to office), as example kung along edsa na rough road, mas laspag yan compared sa dina drive along south super hi-way na smooth road...

goodluck sir

7. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    thanks a lot for the reply guys. i will take note of that. it will be basically for transportation with my family.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    you could try checking buy and sell online:

http://www.buyandsellph.com/buysell/...search=corolla

it'll give you an idea of what the going price is. last i checked, in the 130k range all you really have are AE92 Corolla's, Mazda 323's (box-types), and Sentra Series II's. All are good choices in my opinion.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    thank you again for your suggestions. it's giving me a clear picture of what to buy given my budget and purpose.

i have another question. my wife prefers that we buy an automatic car so that she can bring it herself when i am not around. she prefers automatic because it will not put much pressure on her left foot. she had polio by the way. is it advisable to have an automatic transmission car or the manual for a starter like me? what are the pros and cons? thanks again and more power.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    It doesnt really matter. ATs consume a bit more fuel and puts more wear on the brakepads. But the convenience is worth it. YUn lang nga nakakabobo ang AT. Its always nice to know how to drive a stick-shift, but in your case an AT would be perfect.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Factors to consider when buying a 2nd hand car