New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Hello Tsikot Experts,

I'm a new user here and I've been browsing the forums for a couple of days now.

First off, I have ZERO knowledge about cars. In fact, I'm embarrassed to say it, but I'm a 35 years old guy that doesn't even know how to drive yet. THAT'S how ZERO knowledgeable I am about cars. I'm a late bloomer, I know. I like to justify to myself that I've been too busy at work saving up money to actually go buy a car, LOL.

Having said that, I am in need of your expert advise.

I'm buying my FIRST CAR in the next few months (I guess at my age, it's about effin' time). My BUDGET is less than 1 million.

My un-educated OPTIONS are (in order of priority) :

1. Hyundai Elantra 1.8 L GL A/T - Php 958,000.00
    2. Honda Jazz 1.5 EX AT (Special Edition) - Php 899,000.00
    3. Ford Focus 2.0L Sport AT 5Dr - Php 934,000.00
    4. CHEVROLET CRUZE (4-Door Compact Sedan) 1.8 Liter DCVCP and VVT ECOTEC DOHC LS, 6-Speed Automatic Transmission with Triptronic Feature - Php Php 963,888.00

I'll be using the car for :
    1. Office use. Daily travel from Sta.Rosa, Laguna to Alabang
    2. Weekend getaways or long roadtrips, i.e. Tagaytay, Baguio, Batangas, even Mindanao if it's planned.
    3. Basically, just a daily ride for a single, 5'10", overworked, overweight office guy.

I just want a BRAND NEW, reliable, fuel-efficient, comfortable ride with good legroom. If it has a good stock sound system that can crank out my old Razorback and Wolfgang CDs to my satisfaction, then all the better. And NO, I don't want to get a PRE-OWNED car for "practice".

I also don't mind about the resale value because I have no plans of selling it (personal preference).

Any other MODEL suggestions? It doesn't have to be a "normal car". You can suggest any other brand new vehicle as long as it fits my budget and requirements.

One more thing, I have a tendency to ask a lot of questions before I buy something. My questions may spill over to some threads or websites. So please, BE PATIENT WITH ME. I just don't want to have any regrets when I make my purchase. Money doesn't grow on trees, unfortunately.

Thank you for your time,
    RazorWolf
    Frustrated Rock Star

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    First off, toss out the Chevy Cruze 1.8L A/T from your list. It's slow to accelerate and pretty much "dead" to drive. Aside from that, it's a decent car but you can get the same from other brands.

The Ford Focus 2.0L might be normally a great choice BUT it is overdue for a model change real soon. So your brand new car will be last year's model in a matter of months.

Honda Jazz 1.5 "Special Edition" is a good choice with more toys and accessories fitted as standard on the JDM sourced car. Because of this, it's actually an in-demand car. Downside is the relatively high price (for a small car), pretty much priced at the same levels of cars a level higher like the Corolla and Lancer EX.

I don't know if you have considered these other cars...
    - Honda City 1.5L
    - Mitsubishi Lancer EX
    - Toyota Corolla

3. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    IIRC, the Ford Focus 2.0 TDCi is now under 1 million after discounts (originally at 1.126M).

Even with the new model coming up, I still think it's a good buy, because the new model doesn't come with a diesel yet. No final word on when the updated Duratorq diesel will reach the new Focus, but I'm betting it'll take at least a year.

Reliable?
    Well, no widespread complaints over the course of half a decade, so I'd say it is.

Fuel efficient?
    Definitely. No other compact car can consistently get 9 km/L in moderate to heavy city driving. 20 km/L on the highway is possible too, if you're up for it.

Comfortable?
    Er, not the most comfortable in its class, but you wouldn't call it awful. The ride is on the firm side but you won't be juddering around bumps and humps. Seats aren't hard (unlike the awful FD Civic seats) so long drives shouldn't be all too tiring.

Good legroom?
    Again, not the class leader, but definitely not tight.

Overall, the Focus TDCi's trump card is still the fact that it's one of the best handling cars in the segment, and it's one of the only cars that you can drive around like a maniac all day yet still end up using little fuel.

Oh, I like its rather timeless design too:

4. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    IIRC, the Ford Focus 2.0 TDCi is now under 1 million after discounts (originally at 1.126M).

Even with the new model coming up, I still think it's a good buy, because the new model doesn't come with a diesel yet. No final word on when the updated Duratorq diesel will reach the new Focus, but I'm betting it'll take at least a year.

Reliable?
    Well, no widespread complaints over the course of half a decade, so I'd say it is.

Fuel efficient?
    Definitely. No other compact car can consistently get 9 km/L in moderate to heavy city driving. 20 km/L on the highway is possible too, if you're up for it.

Comfortable?
    Er, not the most comfortable in its class, but you wouldn't call it awful. The ride is on the firm side but you won't be juddering around bumps and humps. Seats aren't hard (unlike the awful FD Civic seats) so long drives shouldn't be all too tiring.

Good legroom?
    Again, not the class leader, but definitely not tight.

Overall, the Focus TDCi's trump card is still the fact that it's one of the best handling cars in the segment, and it's one of the only cars that you can drive around like a maniac all day yet still end up using little fuel.

Oh, I like its rather timeless design too:

Well said I couldn't agree more. I'm also looking at Focus, Fiesta or Jazz as my 2nd Car, but not having enough budget for my 2nd car i was thinking that Focus TDCI is just pricey compared to Fiesta 1.6 or Jazz.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Hi RazorWolf! Welcome to Tsikot forums.

Anyway here are my opinions and experiences on both the Elantra and the Jazz. Take note that i'm no expert as well with regards to cars maybe average to below average on knowledge regarding this.

I've tried both the Elantra (from my friend's) and Jazz (i own one) both the latest model (2012). Also i am very familiar with your daily route since i'm from the area of Alabang and studied before at Lasalle Canlubang.

Jazz
    - Better Fuel Consumption (FC) in short trips (Alabang - Sta. Rosa)
    - More Fun to drive
    - Ride is more on the stiff side but still comfortable
    - Kinda expensive for a subcompact car at 899k (Japan CBU) (857k for the Thai)
    - Have the punch for a 1.5L engine
    - Lots of cargo space especially when rear seats are folded
    - Head room is not a problem because of high ceiling
    - Hard to get discounts from dealers since it is already standard (but can still squeeze in some freebies depends on how you talk to your SA)
    - No problem on parts

Elantra
    - Huge body
    - Good legroom
    - Have those sound system goodies
    - Softer ride compared to the Jazz
    - Also have a punch for a 1.8L
    - Better for long driving because it is more comfortable

Depends on really on what you need and priorities. Personally i'm still not sold with Korean Cars but dont get me wrong, they have been really improving for the past generations that it is already a close competitors of the Japanese branded cars.

I'd say if you are more on the comfort and a luxury feel, i'd go for the Elantra. If you are looking for a machine that is fun to drive and a "utility like" vehicle, go with the Jazz.

If you will be going for the Focus, i'd say go for the diesel variant already hands down. Also you may want to take a look on the Altis

My dilemma before was choosing between the Jazz, Elantra and the Altis. But due to my needs and wants, i chose the Jazz.

HTH! Cheers!

6. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Have you considered a Soul or Sportage? You seem like a big guy who goes out of town a lot so I think you may need a car with higher ground clearance and bigger space.

Looking at your planned destinations, a sedan probably won't cut it. Especially on road trips where roads could get a little rough.
    Last edited by Verbl Kint; June 28th, 2012 at 02:14 AM.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    *RazorWolf,
    Try to include from your list the Toyota Corolla Altis 1.6L. At less than 1M pesos, this is your safest choice and suits most of your needs.

Leg room and comfort? You mentioned that you're 5'10 and overweight (no offense) so you need a full size compact sedan. I don't think you'll find it comfortable to drive the sub-compacts especially on long drive.

Not for resale? You want a car for keeps. Toyota Corolla can easily last for 10 to 15 years or even longer. Toyota car parts can easily be found everywhere. Quality and reliability = Toyota.

Fuel consumption? The Corolla Altis has 1.6 liter engine. However, fuel efficiency really depends on the driving style.

At the end of the day, there's no better car but you need to find a car that fits you the most. This is your first car and you have no plans of selling it. I suggest that you have to invest time and effort to study the cars available in the market. The best showroom is the road. Try to observe the cars around you during your commute. Search the internet, go to the dealer's website, read some forums and test drive as much as you can. Goodluck on your purchase.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorWolf View Post

First off, I have ZERO knowledge about cars. In fact, I'm embarrassed to say it, but I'm a 35 years old guy that doesn't even know how to drive yet. THAT'S how ZERO knowledgeable I am about cars. I'm a late bloomer, I know. I like to justify to myself that I've been too busy at work saving up money to actually go buy a car, LOL.
    Kung zero knowledge ka sa cars stay away sa hyundai na brand. Hindi ko sinasabi may problem ang elantra pero baka ang maging problem mo mga unprofessional, madugas na service ng hyundai casa. Check mo yung mga thread kung ano brand marami reklamo. Para sa isang baguhan nakakastress yan.

Doon ka muna sa mga subok na like jazz at sa honda spa or honda quezon avenue ka magpaservie para less ang kaba. (Wag sa honda alabang)

Pag umayos na hyundai casa doon ka na lang bumili. For now hindi ka magiging masaya.
    Last edited by tomboy; June 28th, 2012 at 03:21 AM.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Thank you for the quick responses! I feel that I've chosen the right car forum.

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    First off, toss out the Chevy Cruze 1.8L A/T from your list. It's slow to accelerate and pretty much "dead" to drive....

The Ford Focus 2.0L ...your brand new car will be last year's model in a matter of months.

Honda Jazz 1.5 "Special Edition" is a good choice.... Downside is the relatively high price ...
    *ghosthunter
    - Thanks for the Chevy Cruze and Ford Focus comment. If you didn't let me know, I wouldn't have had any idea that the Cruze was like that. I'll check out the Honda City 1.5L, Mitsubishi Lancer EX and Toyota Corolla as well. I actually created my un-educated list based on the threads I read here. Now I'm a little more enlightened.

Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    IIRC, the Ford Focus 2.0 TDCi is now under 1 million after discounts (originally at 1.126M)....

.... No final word on when the updated Duratorq diesel will reach the new Focus, but I'm betting it'll take at least a year.

... Reliable?
    ... it is.

... Fuel efficient?
    Definitely....

Comfortable?
    ... not the most comfortable in its class, but you wouldn't call it awful....

... Good legroom?
    ... not the class leader, but definitely not tight....

... the Focus TDCi's trump card is still the fact that it's one of the best handling cars in the segment, and it's one of the only cars that you can drive around like a maniac all day yet still end up using little fuel....

Oh, I like its rather timeless design too: ...
    *jut703
    - Wow! Less than 1M for the Ford Focus Diesel variant. Do I have to "ask" Ford to get discounts or is it automatic? I mean, are there qualifications to get the discounts?

- Quick question, what's a "Duratorq" Diesel? Is that an engine or the name of the model?

Quote Originally Posted by sabawballs View Post
    Hi RazorWolf! Welcome to Tsikot forums....

.... i am very familiar with your daily route since i'm from the area of Alabang and studied before at Lasalle Canlubang....

Jazz
    - Better Fuel Consumption (FC) in short trips (Alabang - Sta. Rosa)
    - More Fun to drive
    - Ride is more on the stiff side but still comfortable
    - Kinda expensive for a subcompact car at 899k (Japan CBU) (857k for the Thai)
    - Have the punch for a 1.5L engine
    - Lots of cargo space especially when rear seats are folded
    - Head room is not a problem because of high ceiling
    - Hard to get discounts from dealers since it is already standard (but can still squeeze in some freebies depends on how you talk to your SA)
    - No problem on parts...

...Elantra
    - Huge body
    - Good legroom
    - Have those sound system goodies
    - Softer ride compared to the Jazz
    - Also have a punch for a 1.8L
    - Better for long driving because it is more comfortable...

.... i'm still not sold with Korean Cars but dont get me wrong, they have been really improving for the past generations that it is already a close competitors of the Japanese branded cars.

I'd say if you are more on the comfort and a luxury feel, i'd go for the Elantra. If you are looking for a machine that is fun to drive and a "utility like" vehicle, go with the Jazz....

... Also you may want to take a look on the Altis ...

... due to my needs and wants, i chose the Jazz....

HTH! Cheers!
    *sabawballs
    - Thank you for the welcome, Sir. I'm feeling overwhelmed by the suggestions and info I need to absorb. But I know it's worth it. And I'm pretty much an everyday Alabang/Laguna traveller. Cheers! to you as well!!

- About the Thai and Japan JAZZ, aside from the country, is there a major difference? I added the Jazz to the list because it was suggested to me by one of my officemates. He absolutely loves that car as I'm pretty sure you are as well.

- The Elantra, I mainly put at the top of my list because of the CAR OF THE YEAR awards it got in Europe, America and here in the Philippines. To be honest, since I'm a newbie to cars, the Hyundai brand is not really one of those brands that I initially aspired to buy. The usual suggestions are Japan cars so I do know how you feel about you Korean Cars comment. But after reading the posts and suggestions from this forum, boy, was I wrong about judging before first asking people in-the-know. I'm still considering this, but hopefully, I will get more info from the resident CAR EXPERTS here before I take the plunge.

Quote Originally Posted by Verbl Kint View Post
    Have you considered a Soul or Sportage? You seem like a big guy who goes out of town a lot so I think you may need a car with higher ground clearance and bigger space.

Looking at your planned destinations, a sedan probably won't cut it. Especially on road trips where roads could get a little rough.
    *Verbl Kint
    - I'm not that into going out of town, although I want to have that as an option. Mostly, I'll be using the car for my daily office/home route of Alabang to Sta.Rosa.

- I actually read the Kia Soul and it is a practical ride. Especially for 5'10", "big boned" () men like me. And being a practical person, I'm not really biased on the design as long as it will meet my commuting needs.

- The Sportage? When I looked around, the Automatic versions are over 1 Million, so it's a little out of my budget unless there are discounts to make it less the 1 M. I'm a little hesitatant to get Manual versions because, I'm still going to learn how to drive (yeah, yeah, pathetic, I know). So, I'm afraid that I'll wreck the thing before the warranty is done.

10. Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jigs_xix View Post
    *RazorWolf,
    Try to include from your list the Toyota Corolla Altis 1.6L. At less than 1M pesos, this is your safest choice and suits most of your needs. ...

... You mentioned that you're 5'10 and overweight (no offense) so you need a full size compact sedan....

... At the end of the day, there's no better car but you need to find a car that fits you the most. This is your first car and you have no plans of selling it. I suggest that you have to invest time and effort to study the cars available in the market. The best showroom is the road. Try to observe the cars around you during your commute. Search the internet, go to the dealer's website, read some forums and test drive as much as you can. Goodluck on your purchase...
    *jigs_xix
    - Thanks for the Altis suggestion. I'll add it to my cars to look into list.

- About the overweight comment, no offense taken, Sir. There's a lot of us out there and we buy cars too, haha.

- Dealer's websites (checked), Internet research (doing that), observing cars on the road (check). I'm making my first purchase research as thorough as possible. Hopefully, TSIKOT will be my main resource of good, sound, unbiased advised. And so far, I'm quite happy. Thanks!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast