New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Help! Losing sleep over which one to get: Hyundai Tucson 2.0 DSL 4x4 or Chevy Captiva 2.0 DSL 4x2???

I like the Captiva cos it's a 7 seater and the 3rd and 2nd row fold FLAT so lots of luggage space there. But I'm not sure about the sturdiness, lasting ability and performance of Chevrolet (planning to keep this SUV for 5 years or more!).

Leaning towards the Tucson at first but my friend just got one and at barely 4 months old, she had to bring her Tucson to the casa 3x cos the aircon is not cool. Hyundai replaced compressor at the 2nd shot but A/C is still not cool enough. :-( For a brand new car, that info is scarrrry! :-( Can anyone tell me if she was just unlucky to have gotten a defective unit or does Tucson really have a weak A/C unit? Davao is super hot so a strong A/C is a must! Also, is the Tucson matagtag? Will be going on long drives often so I need a sturdy SUV.

Need your feedback please to finally help me decide. Thanks guys!

2. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Tucson - test driven and have no complaints with the aircon contrary to what your friend's experiencing with her unit.

Not sure how hot it is there in Davao but whenever it's hot setting the A/C a notch higher works.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    wala sa compressor, blower, evaporator, condenser etc. Ang problema. Nasa firmware na naka-install sa ECU ng Tucson.

Obviously hindi nila alam ginagawa nila.

At hindi matagtag ang Tucson. Na-check na ba yung tire pressure?

Yung saakin kasi na-release ng Casa tapos naka 51-55PSi

4. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Tucson na. Cramped din naman 3rd row seats ng Captiva. Yung aircon, palagay na lang kayo ng mga heat-rejecting tints hehe.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    At wala palang aircon sa likod ang Captiva

Sa dashboard lang. Pinilit lang talaga gawin 7 seater. Kung 7 seater gusto mo, mag Santa Fe ka nalang.
    Last edited by Starex_Gold; July 22nd, 2010 at 12:51 AM.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    i suggest you read the respective threads about the tucson and the captiva, since your friend has a tucson i suggest you do a testdrive to get the feel of it, maybe you can also schedule a testdrive of the captiva. it all depends on what you use it for. the new tucson has more power and torque and has the newer design, while the captiva (in my opinion and based from my experience) has a tougher body, it handles well, and can sustain abuse from unpaved and rough roads.

if you plan on maintaining it for a long time, i've got to say the captiva's PMS is expensive but they've gone a long way from the services of before.

just my two cents.

7. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Kahit naman Tucson hindi mura ang maintenance. Basta new CRDi engines.

Satisfied owner of a Tucson CRDi Premium since day 1.. No issues at all

8. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    with regards to the 3rd row seating of the captiva, kids are the only ones meant to sit in that cramped space, it was originally released as a 5 seater but then they decided to add two more seats, which i think in most cases are only really used if you've got no choice. it's ok for short drives but not for long drives. i'd still say check both of them out and see what you like better, so you won't regret any decision.

9. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    I'd say get the Tucson, the Captiva, though quite good in its own right, is getting old and Chevy after sales is not very good, not mentioning costly parts and rather small dealer network. If you need 7 seats, get the Santa Fe which is much, much more powerful and looks good inside and out.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Thanks guys! Hmmmmm ... I think Tucson has the edge now based on your inputs. Maybe my friend just got a defective unit.

What about Kia Sorento? They're pre selling a 5-seater one that's also CRDi and its not as expensive as the 7 seater one they have now. How does this compare to the Tucson?

Thanks for the inputs guys! Actually, yes, the Sta. Fe was my first choice pero ang mahal eh. Out of my budget.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Confused:  Hyundai Tucson 2.0 CRDi GL 4x4 or Chevrolet Captiva 2.0 CRDi 4x2???