New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    im planning to buy new car, choosing between civic 1.8V and altis 1.6G.
    which is a better value for money, the civic is priced at 830k and 823k for altis, both are mt. what are the pros n cons of 1.8 and 1.6 engine?

2. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    haha. same here....we've been choosing between the 1.8V and the 1.6G. We're going to the honda dealers and toyota dealers next week. But so far, altis is our choice. Why?

1. A facelift of the civic will come out around June

2. 1.8V is the " base-model " of the Civic. But the 1.6G is the mid-variant of the altis

3. Resale value is almost equal, but our current car is also a toyota so, we have the experience in using toyota cars.

4. What I like about the civic is the " HONDA " name on it and the digital speedometer.

If I were to choose. 1.8S and 1.6G. I'd pick the civic. But our budget is for the G and for the V only. So ALTIS FOR US.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    It all boils down to performance VS ammenities. Mas maganda ammenities ng Altis maskin mid variant sya though talo pa rin sya sa performance ng base model ng Civic. For me Civic, kasi airbags are overrated para sakin in the RP traffic scenario.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tidus1203 View Post
    It all boils down to performance VS ammenities. Mas maganda ammenities ng Altis maskin mid variant sya though talo pa rin sya sa performance ng base model ng Civic. For me Civic, kasi airbags are overrated para sakin in the RP traffic scenario.

Oo naman, talo siya if were talkin about performance. Siguro ang pangtapat sa performance ng civic is the " V " variant of the altis.......1.8 ang civic samantala ang " g " variant ng altis eh 1.6 lang.....diba? pero tama ka, mas maganda amennities ng altis

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Liz View Post
    im planning to buy new car, choosing between civic 1.8V and altis 1.6G.
    which is a better value for money, the civic is priced at 830k and 823k for altis, both are mt.
    Both are actually good value for money. But I would go for the Honda Civic. It would probably have a touch better appeal when you decide to sell it off years from now, Honda service is pretty good if kinda pricey. Ride quality is good and the slightly bigger engine would make is fun to drive when the "itch" gets to you.

BTW, you can get good fuel mileage with the 1.8L engine if you keep a light foot on the accelerator. Just use the engine's torque to pull the car smoothly forward as you slowly press down lightly on the gas pedal.

what are the pros n cons of 1.8 and 1.6 engine?
    1.6L
    pro - consumes less fuel
    con - less powerful

1.8L
    pro - more powerful
    con - consumes more fuel

Don't believe the car seller's saying that the 1.8L engine provides you the power of a 2.0L engine with the economy of a 1.6L ... that is pure BS.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    what do you mean by "more powerful"? does it mean pag puno ng passenger ung car e hirap na umakyat sa uphill? mahina ba humatak from stand still?

malaki b difference ng power ng 1.6 sa 1.8? and ung 1.6 na altis ba e maliit ang makina for the body or enough lng? mas tama b ung body-engine ratio ng civic compare to altis?

7. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    We've changed our decision. WEre going to get the Honda Civic 1.8S

8. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    I remember seeing somewhere that the 1.8V civic doesn't have ABS, I'm sure the 1.6g has ABS. correct me if I'm wrong.

From a brief test drive, I don't find the 1.6 altis underpowered but it is true that the 1.8V (naturally) feels more powerful. Ang ayaw ko lang sa altis, parang sobrang gaan ng steering.

Sa altis 1.6g ang boto ko dito not because the civic is a bad choice. I just prefer the styling of the new altis (from the outside, I prefer the interior of the civic naman).

9. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    what do you mean by "more powerful"? does it mean pag puno ng passenger ung car e hirap na umakyat sa uphill? mahina ba humatak from stand still?

malaki b difference ng power ng 1.6 sa 1.8? and ung 1.6 na altis ba e maliit ang makina for the body or enough lng? mas tama b ung body-engine ratio ng civic compare to altis?
    More powerful means, mas malakas ang hatak at hindi gaano hirap ang makina lalo na pag loaded and uphill.

If you consider FC between 1.8 and 1.6, consider several factors, compare mo both have 5 passengers, loaded with things. tingin ko mas malakas FC ng 1.6

Sa 1.8 na compact car, theres na kinetic version of ford and the old model of civic, based on reviews so far so good. in 1.6 variant ng altis, yung 05 model which we got, contented ako. Other tsikoters can help you on the new one.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002

More powerful means, if you are overtaking a slower moving vehicle, you can do that maneuver in less time and distance covered. That can translate to better safety since it gives you more options on what type of maneuver to do. Also a more powerful engine is actually more fuel efficient when the car is often driven with a heavy load as compared to a car with a smaller and less powerful motor.

But if the car is usually driven with a very light load (example, just the driver), then a car with a smaller engine will give better FC figures.

As for saying body-engine ratio... that is simply putting things into a box and saying everything outside the box doesn't exist. But life doesn't happen that way. We see medium sized cars with extremely huge engines under the hood and most of us seem to drool over it. In this case, we are simply discussing a difference of 0.2L in engine displacement or approximately 20 to 25 hp difference in performance.

At the end of the day, you just have to decide, is choosing the extra 20 to 25hp worth the slightly higher fuel consumption (maybe 0.5km/L less) given the cars' prices are nearly identical.

If you were asking me, I would have taken the car with more HP.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Civic 1.8V or Altis 1.6G?