New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    May 2013
    Hi,

I previously posted about choosing between Ford Escape and Honda City, but the Ford Escape has been reserved (I called the agent just now) here now are my choices. I hope you can help me choose the best car for family use. (2 adults, 2 kids)

Chevrolet Optra LS 1.6L Honda City 1.3L
    Transmission Automatic Manual
    Fuel Gas Gas
    Year 2007 2008
    Mileage 74,784 109,000
    Price 211,000.00 315,000.00
    Color Grey Bluish Silver

Setting the price aside, which car will you pick? I also consider the following:

Maintenance
    Fuel consumption
    Handling and safety

Thank you!
    Last edited by Ryan Bayona; May 14th, 2013 at 11:45 AM. Reason: edit price

2. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    I will suggest based on what car I prefer owning: 2008 Honda City.

It's more fuel efficient. Easy to maintain (albeit the doubled spark plugs count) and good handling.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    How much is the budget?

I'd go for a Honda City, but not this Honda City. 109tkms in 5 years?! Not to mention that it is quite overpriced. Expect that you will be changing quite a lot of components already. It'll also be better if you get the 1.5L VTEC M/T variant. Aside from the aforementioned doubled spark plugs, this car also lacks punch, especially if you are used to 1.6L cars and above.

I'd stay away from the Optra. It's one solid car, and is reputed to have excellent driving dynamics. But maintenance cost, parts availability and outrageous fuel consumption isn't worth it.

I see that you're interested in the Escape. Might I suggest you look for another unit online. 2.3L 4x2 variant only. Mazda Tribute will also do, if the budget permits. Here you get much more space and class. Gas mileage is surprisingly good for a 2.3L. Definitely matches, if not exceeding, the Optra's gas mileage.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Definitely the City.

Pero ang taas ng mileage.

5. Join Date
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    How much is the budget?

I'd go for a Honda City, but not this Honda City. 109tkms in 5 years?! Not to mention that it is quite overpriced. Expect that you will be changing quite a lot of components already. It'll also be better if you get the 1.5L VTEC M/T variant. Aside from the aforementioned doubled spark plugs, this car also lacks punch, especially if you are used to 1.6L cars and above.

I'd stay away from the Optra. It's one solid car, and is reputed to have excellent driving dynamics. But maintenance cost, parts availability and outrageous fuel consumption isn't worth it.

I see that you're interested in the Escape. Might I suggest you look for another unit online. 2.3L 4x2 variant only. Mazda Tribute will also do, if the budget permits. Here you get much more space and class. Gas mileage is surprisingly good for a 2.3L. Definitely matches, if not exceeding, the Optra's gas mileage.
    Thanks for the insights! Overpriced pa pala ung Honda City and yes ang taas nga ng mileage I just saw it in ebuenamano site of BPI and I must say my wife and I really liked it when we visited the unit in their QC stockyard.

As for the budget, I think I can only go as far as Php 350K, half of which will be paid in cash and the other through financing. Given the price range, ano pa po ba ang options ko? Is this ford escape good enough? https://www.ebuenamano.com.ph/vehicles/view/78

Thanks!

6. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Bro, that is a V6 Escape. Performance is great, but gas mileage certainly isn't. Besides, mileage is still kinda high. Our similarly 2006 Tribute has only 46tkms on the clock now.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2