New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by zannozyja View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply. I was reading in the forums and in majority New Vios is winning. But im still holding on to the fiesta.

They said that vios will win in the long run. But I'm only planning on having it for atleast 5 years.
    Vios sells a lot because of the brand image Toyota built during the past decades. Ford has been absent in our market for quite sometime and has only returned to our market in the late 90's, first with CBU from America models, followed by smaller ASEAN models as they strengthened their presense by building new manufacturing plants in the ASEAN region.

A lot of Filipinos treat Ford like a new comer, specially when it comes to small cars, of course this is not true since Ford has had a long history of building great small cars.

A lot of the younger buyers and a large chunk of the general public (mostly non-car enthusiasts) are more likely to stick to the brand they are familiar like Toyota (or in general, Japanese brands).

Is it really much more expensive to maintain a small Ford car compared to an equivalent Toyota? It's actually not that expensive, it's almost the same as most modern Japanese branded cars.
    I believe it was tidus1203 who pointed that out when he compared the PMS (Preventive Maintenance Service) of his Fiesta and Yaris.

On my end, based on my experience with the petrol Mk2 Focus, PMS is not really that much more expensive than a modern Japanese-branded car. (The TDCi Focus I believe is the one that is more expensive to maintain)

The myth that all Fords are very expensive to maintain was born from what was true before.
    Back in 90's when the local Ford lineup was only made up from large American models like the Expedition, F-150, E-150 CLub Wagon and Lincoln Town Car, maintenance was obviously more expensive compared to smaller Japanese vehicles.

If you want a fun, good handling, solid, safe European designed car that's priced close to a Japanese car, consider the Fiesta 1.5 Trend MT or the sub-P700K Ambiente (which has steel wheels with covers).
    Yes, the new Fiesta Trend and entry-level Fiesta Ambiente are now powered by a 112PS 1.5 liter Ti-VCT engine, that's a 17PS jump over the pre-facelift Fiesta 1.4 Trend and entry-level Style models.
    Last edited by AG4; August 22nd, 2013 at 05:20 AM.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    ^ and thanks to that my friends think that I am a rich guy because I own 2 ford suvs. What they don't know is that it's not that expensive to maintain it, sometimes even cheaper to maintain it versus my mitsubishi.

#Retzing

3. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    It is best to test drive both units then decide.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by zannozyja View Post
    Hi all, I want to but a car

A little background about me regarding cars:

- I work in Ortigas, so i will most likely drive via commonwealth or katipunan.
    - I prefer M/T because I have no experience driving a A/T
    - Budget is 800k
    - Im not fond of 2nd hand cars.

I'm currently torn between the New Ford Fiesta (2014 model) and the New Vios 2013, leaning more towards Fiesta.

I want to know which car is worthy to be my first.
    And if possible which other car can you recommend for me.

Thank you very much for your time.
    Dear Sir,

i hope it is O.K. for you when i answer you because i am a foreigner in your country, i am german.
    Ford is not really bad but the rust proof from ford is not so good, that is my experiance with four fords in the last 30 years.
    The ford engines are long lasting but not so fuel efficiant compared to the Toyota engines.
    For me the toyota is over all the better car, higher quality and more fuel efficiant, all over your country you find dealers to supply your with service and spare parts.
    Not so good with the ford and also the situation with second hand parts when your car is older and you want to save money.
    The other part is when you want to sell your car again, toyota is known as a very good brand and so you can sell it easier and better, for a higher price.
    Manual or automatic transmission, i heard sometimes in the philippines that only wifes drive matic because they can not shift manually.
    This is a not true because all the modern high end sports cars like ferrari and lamborgini or comfortable cars like the s-class mercedes have matic trannys and they are not only driven from wifes.
    With matic you drive more relaxed speciall in the heavy traffic in manila, you pay that with a little higher fuel cost and the matic tranny needs a little bit more maintenance, every 60-80k km change the atf oil (auto matic transmission fluid) and filter.
    Drive a matic car and a manual and you will see what you like more, it is very easy to drive.
    At least, drive both cars and buy the one that gives your the best comfortable feeling, than it is your car.
    Good luck and drive always save.

Best Regards
    Ruediger

5. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    It's pointless to compare PMS service because it only pertains to oil change and filters. If this is the basis, the best maintenance car would be a mazda.

The parts advantage of Toyota honda mitsubishi shines outside the walls of casa. The vast supply of those brands (especially Toyota) is very evident in banawe and evangelista. Surplus and replacement parts are at almost any parts store. Try asking for surplus a for a Ford and you'll be disappointed.

As a car enthusiast myself, I like tinkering with my car. As a budget conscious person, I like to source for replacement parts for non engine related problems. For Ford, your best bet is the original motor craft brand and it's seldom that Ford have non motor craft parts. Motor craft parts cost 2x to 3x more than the replacement counterpart of Toyota and sometimes even more.

I'll give some examples to drive the point home.

Replacement power Window assembly for old model altis cost 2500, guess how much for Ford.

Replacement rack and pinion assembly for old model altis is around 10k to 15k, guess how much for Ford.

Point is, it's not a myth. It's very evident if you go banawe and evangelista.

On that note, please stop saying that the cost of maintenance is just the same as Toyota honda mitsubishi. Especially to newbies that are more gullible than us, enthusiast. I say this to let the newbies know what they are in for with Ford. Not to discourage but to set their expectation.

If you have the means to afford Ford parts and don't mind it... By all means get it. If your the kind of person that has the financial capability to replace your ride every 4 to 5 years, by all means get it.

O ya, wreck your a/t and say surplus for Ford is as easy as Toyota honda mitsubishi. Think again.
    Last edited by [archie]; August 26th, 2013 at 04:32 PM.

6. Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Father-of-3 View Post
    Maybe my experience in driving different kinds of company-provided vehicles could somehow give you a hint and help you in acquiring your first car.

I have driven Chevy Lumina, model 2002 and then 2006. After that, we switched to Toyota Aurion. Now, I'm driving a Ford Expedition 2012 model. I have a privately owned Innova, and these what I noticed:

While driving, US-made vehicles are noticeably quieter, more stable on highways, more expensive spare parts, gas consumption depends where I drive (city vs clear roads), very seldom I had problems with performance and parts. Safety wise, hard to beat. Scale of 1-10, I'd say 8.

Toyota have lighter body, ergo better gas consumption. More available parts, and I believe more durable. Score: 8 also.

When it comes to car design, both are head turners. Pero maingay lang talaga sa ilalim ang Toyota, kahit ang Altis para sa akin maingay ang ilalim.

Here in KSA, I would go for the Ford, but if I were there in Pinas, I'd go for the Vios. One reason, gas here is much cheaper than bottled water. BTW, Vios here are all called Yaris, whatever variant you look for.

Resale value, nothing beats Jap-made cars. Go for Vios.
    uy kabayan, KSA din ako..san ka? riyadh ako..hehe..

7. Join Date
    Oct 2003
    kung newbie ka at first car mo mag toyota ka!

tapat na yan na suggestion

kasi ayaw ko na babalik ka pa dito sa tsikot forum at magrereklamo at papasakitin ulo mo at ulo ng mga forumers dito na

na kesyo malakas sa gas

at kung sira man ang ford mo eh wala kang mabili sa sari sari store nyo na pyesa

ok

8. Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by AG4 View Post
    Vios sells a lot because of the brand image Toyota built during the past decades. Ford has been absent in our market for quite sometime and has only returned to our market in the late 90's, first with CBU from America models, followed by smaller ASEAN models as they strengthened their presense by building new manufacturing plants in the ASEAN region.

A lot of Filipinos treat Ford like a new comer, specially when it comes to small cars, of course this is not true since Ford has had a long history of building great small cars.

A lot of the younger buyers and a large chunk of the general public (mostly non-car enthusiasts) are more likely to stick to the brand they are familiar like Toyota (or in general, Japanese brands).

Is it really much more expensive to maintain a small Ford car compared to an equivalent Toyota? It's actually not that expensive, it's almost the same as most modern Japanese branded cars.
    I believe it was tidus1203 who pointed that out when he compared the PMS (Preventive Maintenance Service) of his Fiesta and Yaris.

On my end, based on my experience with the petrol Mk2 Focus, PMS is not really that much more expensive than a modern Japanese-branded car. (The TDCi Focus I believe is the one that is more expensive to maintain)

The myth that all Fords are very expensive to maintain was born from what was true before.
    Back in 90's when the local Ford lineup was only made up from large American models like the Expedition, F-150, E-150 CLub Wagon and Lincoln Town Car, maintenance was obviously more expensive compared to smaller Japanese vehicles.

If you want a fun, good handling, solid, safe European designed car that's priced close to a Japanese car, consider the Fiesta 1.5 Trend MT or the sub-P700K Ambiente (which has steel wheels with covers).
    Yes, the new Fiesta Trend and entry-level Fiesta Ambiente are now powered by a 112PS 1.5 liter Ti-VCT engine, that's a 17PS jump over the pre-facelift Fiesta 1.4 Trend and entry-level Style models.
    Hi AG4,

Are you saying both Trend MT and Ambiente has steel wheels with cover? Or Ambiente lang?

Hi TS,

We're on the exact same boat. I am choosing between Accent, Vios, and Fiesta.
    Slowly eliminating (but not totally) one after another. Mahirap talaga, I can buy my car any time now kaso di pa din ako makapagdecide.
    Although I am leaning more towards Fiesta. Second choice lang ung Vios at Accent.
    Easy answer for many would be Vios, close to no brainer as they say. But still think through it again.
    Fuel consumption based on my reseach di nagkakalayo yan.
    Space, in your case should not be a big issue since mukhang di mo naman balak punuin, pero mas maluwag ng konti Vios, but still should not be your deciding factor.
    Performance, ayan dito lumamang ang Fiesta para saken since I live in the mountains of Antipolo. I can get a 1.5L car for less than 700k.
    Resale value, lamang ang Vios but i think less about this kasi i plan to keep this car for a long time.
    WOW factor, saken Fiesta syempre... pero di ko masisi ung karamihan na mas nananaig ung pagka-practical at less risky.

End of the day, kung san ka mas magiging masaya with right expectation, dun ka.
    Ako more likely I will end up with Fiesta pa rin.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by maclab View Post
    Hi AG4,

Are you saying both Trend MT and Ambiente has steel wheels with cover? Or Ambiente lang?
    Only the Ambiente has steel wheels with full covers, the Trend has alloy wheels.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by AG4 View Post
    Only the Ambiente has steel wheels with full covers, the Trend has alloy wheels.
    Thanks AG4! 50k ang price difference ng Ambiente sa Trend. With Trend having Allow wheels pala at ung Twist beam sa Rear Suspension.
    Un lang ba talaga difference? Parang di kasi sulit.

Ung Vios mas mahal lang talaga for 1.3L engine.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast