New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    My sister is just gonna learn to drive, and she also just graduated so this car may also be used for going to work.

The budget is, more or less, 350k.
    It should be reliable and it should be M/T.
    Hopefully fuel efficient as well.
    I also expect many newbie accidents, so parts should be easy to find.

I've two approaches in mind, one is to get something that is not that old (around 5 years),
    but has a low resale value such as the previous generation Sentra.

Or maybe something that is bigger but older to avoid bullies such as an old Pajero.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

TIA

What about the Toyota Vios?

3. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    A few cars come to mind:

(All in the 2003-2007/8 range)

Corolla Altis 1.6
    Vios
    City
    Jazz

Just make sure what you get have full complete service records for the higher chance of that hassle-free-ride.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    oh yeah cripple_rooster, I forgot about the 1st gen(?) vios. I think it's my frontrunner now.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Avanza 1.3 J puwede din.
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

6. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dodongo View Post
    My sister is just gonna learn to drive, and she also just graduated so this car may also be used for going to work.

The budget is, more or less, 350k.
    It should be reliable and it should be M/T.
    Hopefully fuel efficient as well.
    I also expect many newbie accidents, so parts should be easy to find.

I've two approaches in mind, one is to get something that is not that old (around 5 years),
    but has a low resale value such as the previous generation Sentra.

Or maybe something that is bigger but older to avoid bullies such as an old Pajero.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

TIA
    For a newbie, it would be great to get a taller car to avoid being bullied on the road, as that also takes a toll on her concentration and adds to the stress which would in turn contribute to higher chances of being involved in an accident. I'd suggest you get the same kind as our harabas vehicle- a diesel Toyota Revo. Gas mileage is good, parts are very abundant and cheap, the car itself is spacious inside but narrow enough to squeeze it out in tight parking spaces and narrow streets. Tough chassis means it can take the severe beating from a newbie driver who would know little about taking good care of a car. High ride height gives a better view of the road and better flood wading capability should the situation require it. Now, the diesel Adventure would do just as well so its up to you as to which one you prefer.

If she should insist on a sedan, then a Vios 1.5G M/T or a City 1.5VTi M/T should be nice. Both are very economical and parts are readily available.

If you are looking for cars like the Pajero, she may be somewhat overwhelmed by the size of the car.

car for newbie