New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Hi Tsikoteers!

This will be the second thread that me and my wife will be starting because we really need your honest opinions to help us decide on what car to buy with our hard-earned money. We are a family of 3 (w/ 1 yr old baby) and plans to add 1 more member to the family with 10 years We live in Baguio and will occasionally have long travel to Manila, Cagayan, Ilocos (once or twice every 2 months). Estimated travel distance per year would be at 10,000kms at the most. Plans to maintain the car 10-15 years and would religiously maintain PMS as noted on the owner's manual. Our budget is at 900,000 to 1M so we are considering the following and with some factors that we would like to get your comments and suggestions.

Our choices are the following:
    1. Accent CRDI 1.6 A/T
    2. Elantra 1.6 A/T
    3. Toyota Innova E or G (ung G kc e outside budget constraints na)
    4. Lancer EX 1.6 A/T
    5. Toyota Altis 1.6 A/T
    6. Toyota Avanza 1.5 A/T
    7. Honda Civic 1.8 A/T

Just hoping you can put on some grade (10 being the highest, 1 is the lowest) on the following factors for each car (w/ your reason why this/that gets the highest score)

Performance
    Safety & Reliability
    Fuel Consumption
    NVH
    Comfort (Seating, Baggage, and Siksikan Factor)
    Value for Money
    Maintenance Cost/Year

We are very thankful for your help on this. Medyo nagkakaroon na kasi kami ni Misis ng matinding diskusyon sa kung ano tlaga pipiliin. We can't decide and we need some guidance for us to have a consensus. Thank you!

2. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Although the Accent 1.6AT doesn't share the minor woes that the 1.6MT CRDi has, and although it has features to be wanted, I would suggest against it because you're planning to keep the car for more than a decade.

I'm not saying that Hyundai isn't tested reliable throughout the years, because believe me it has been -- with the old Starexes, it's just that the Accent has a modern turbo and it breaking down is the last thing you'll ever want. Plus, you live in Baguio, replacement parts and what not might not be as abundant there as it is here. And the quality of fuel might be bad, that could shorten the life span of your turbo. Again, it's the last thing you'll ever want breaking down.

Same goes with the Elantra. I'm not really confident on saying that it would last, headache-free, for 15 years.

Unless you plan to expand your family to seven or eight, or would haul five or more people on a regular basis, there's really no point on getting the Innova or the Avanza unless of course, you like having extra seats that might come in handy.

Thus, it would be a toss up between the Lancer EX and the Toyota Altis. I would prefer the latter though, although the former seems to be more... good-looking, since I've tested Toyota's long term reliability with my previous car.

If ever you would choose the Innova, I'd say get the gas variant. It's much cheaper anyway, most likely has cheaper PMS cost, too. And really, it might be safer since clean diesel doesn't become available always. ;)

Goodluck!

3. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by chocomansi View Post
    Hi Tsikoteers!

This will be the second thread that me and my wife will be starting because we really need your honest opinions to help us decide on what car to buy with our hard-earned money. We are a family of 3 (w/ 1 yr old baby) and plans to add 1 more member to the family with 10 years We live in Baguio and will occasionally have long travel to Manila, Cagayan, Ilocos (once or twice every 2 months). Estimated travel distance per year would be at 10,000kms at the most. Plans to maintain the car 10-15 years and would religiously maintain PMS as noted on the owner's manual. Our budget is at 900,000 to 1M so we are considering the following and with some factors that we would like to get your comments and suggestions.

Our choices are the following:
    1. Accent CRDI 1.6 A/T
    2. Elantra 1.6 A/T
    3. Toyota Innova E or G (ung G kc e outside budget constraints na)
    4. Lancer EX 1.6 A/T
    5. Toyota Altis 1.6 A/T
    6. Toyota Avanza 1.5 A/T

Just hoping you can put on some grade (10 being the highest, 1 is the lowest) on the following factors for each car (w/ your reason why this/that gets the highest score)

Performance
    Safety & Reliability
    Fuel Consumption
    NVH
    Comfort (Seating, Baggage, and Siksikan Factor)
    Value for Money
    Maintenance Cost/Year

We are very thankful for your help on this. Medyo nagkakaroon na kasi kami ni Misis ng matinding diskusyon sa kung ano tlaga pipiliin. We can't decide and we need some guidance for us to have a consensus. Thank you!
    For me, Toyota Innova E na D4D. lalo na long term use at pang pamilya.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Thanks Renzo!

Just wanted to raise a question with regards to making the fuel consumption and cost do their math. Say a car's lifetime is 100,000 kms, Diesel peg at 41 and Gas at 53. then P12 (diff) X 100,000kms = would equate to a brand new car and I'm also not adding to the math each car's FC.

If we are to play the numbers then do you think, it is still good to consider diesel variants?

5. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    If you were living in Metro Manila, I'd suggest you get the Accent CRDi. Comfy and roomy for its class, powerful and fuel efficient diesel engine... But then suspension is on the soft side and the low ground clearance isn't very ideal for a mountain dweller.

For practicality purposes, something with a sturdy underchassis, high ground clearance and lots of low end torque is the most ideal. The Innova D4D is a good contender. You get decent performance and fuel efficiency. The modern engine is cleaner than old school diesels and so is less prone to smoke belching. Fuel expenses would be less than any of the gasoline engine models you mentioned. It is worth noting that maintenance cost would be higher but its not really a big issue for most as you'd be doing it only around twice a year.

Since you're only 3 (or 4 ) and live in the mountains, have you ever considered a pickup? A Strada GLX-V A/T costs 1.085M SRP. Its actually quite comfortable despite being a pickup, handles excellently through the twisties with minimal body roll, and gets good gas mileage provided you feather the throttle.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Say a car's lifetime is 100,000 kms, Diesel peg at 41 and Gas at 53. then P12 (diff) X 100,000kms = would equate to a brand new car and I'm also not adding to the math each car's FC.
    You need to divide it by average FC . let say 10km/liter . so that around P120k. need also to consider that diesel variant is P55K more than the gas variant and with the higher maintenance cost of diesel, i would say after 10 years cost of ownership would roughly be the same.

7. Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    If you were living in Metro Manila, I'd suggest you get the Accent CRDi. Comfy and roomy for its class, powerful and fuel efficient diesel engine... But then suspension is on the soft side and the low ground clearance isn't very ideal for a mountain dweller.

For practicality purposes, something with a sturdy underchassis, high ground clearance and lots of low end torque is the most ideal. The Innova D4D is a good contender. You get decent performance and fuel efficiency. The modern engine is cleaner than old school diesels and so is less prone to smoke belching. Fuel expenses would be less than any of the gasoline engine models you mentioned. It is worth noting that maintenance cost would be higher but its not really a big issue for most as you'd be doing it only around twice a year.

Since you're only 3 (or 4 ) and live in the mountains, have you ever considered a pickup? A Strada GLX-V A/T costs 1.085M SRP. Its actually quite comfortable despite being a pickup, handles excellently through the twisties with minimal body roll, and gets good gas mileage provided you feather the throttle.
    yes, will take a look a closer look at the Innova E variant and also the Lancer Ex model this weekend. I think we are limiting our options to those that were listed above but will do check on the Strada along with the Lancer. We are already pre-approved through bank financing and looking for a car that has more bang for the buck.

8. Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginnova View Post
    You need to divide it by average FC . let say 10km/liter . so that around P120k. need also to consider that diesel variant is P55K more than the gas variant and with the higher maintenance cost of diesel, i would say after 10 years cost of ownership would roughly be the same.
    yes, you're right. Cost of ownership would roughly be the same. and if turbo did breakdown, sakit sa bulsa. btw, did the math (basing it on extremes) 15km/lr (Diesel) vs 8km/lr (Gas) = roughly 389,500Php.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    at 8 km/li for the gas variant and 11 km/li for the diesel variant... 10K km per year.. you'd probably spend 25K more per year for the gas innova vis a vis the diesel. in 2 years, the price difference between diesel and gas innovas will have been covered by fuel expenses alone.
    maintenance? the diesel needs about 2 more liters of oil per oil change. but it does not have spark plugs nor hi tension cables..
    besides, diesels have more torque than gas.. might be handy for inclines..
    and with a growing family, you can never have too much passenger and luggage space. i know, because i have two sons. (did you know that for every baby, you have to get space for a kitchen sink? so what was my first car after the kids started coming in? i got a besta van..)
    btw, are fuel efficiencies the same up there in baguio as compared to down here in the flatlands?
    pick ups? what are you gonna put in the open bed? plants? (that's about the only luggage i know that doesn't hate rain.) heh heh.
    oh yes.. i love my innova diesels... an 8 year old one and a 1 year old one.
    happy hunting.

p.s. i enjoy driving my MT d4d because "hindi siya bitin".
    Last edited by dr. d; April 30th, 2013 at 01:06 AM.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Thanks Renzo!

Just wanted to raise a question with regards to making the fuel consumption and cost do their math. Say a car's lifetime is 100,000 kms, Diesel peg at 41 and Gas at 53. then P12 (diff) X 100,000kms = would equate to a brand new car and I'm also not adding to the math each car's FC.

If we are to play the numbers then do you think, it is still good to consider diesel variants?
    I have played with the math between the fuel cost difference with diesel and gasoline along side with the price difference between the Accent CRDi and its gasoline powered equivalent. Assuming a P200,000 purchase price difference, you would need to travel at least 90,000km in the Accent CRDi just to offset the cheaper price of it's gasoline counterpart. This does not yet take in consideration the higher periodic maintenance for diesel engines.

Given the options, I would suggest the Toyota Corolla Altis as your safest option.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast