New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Hi Everyone!

I'm just new here in and would want to ask suggestions or opinions from car enthusiasts. I was recently approved to get a car loan and I'm now confused of what to get, a car or a compact SUV. I've always wanted to drive an SUV but the fortuner and montero are just too big for me. Below are my choices, budget is 1.4M:

1. Honda CRV 2.0 M/T or A/T
    2. Hyundai Tucson GLS or GL R-EVGT
    3. Toyota Altis 1.6G or V
    4. Honda Civic 1.8S M/T or A/T
    5. Mitsubishi Lancer GT-A

In terms of the following, what would you choose in the following order?
    -fuel efficiency
    -maintenance cost
    -resale value in 5-10 years
    -interior / exterior design

Thank you very much in advance! It would really help me choose of what to buy to replace my current ride. Suggestion of other cars are also welcome. More power to you guys!

2. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    1. Toyota Altis 1.6G or V
    2. Honda Civic 1.8S M/T or A/T
    3. Honda CRV 2.0 M/T or A/T
    4. Hyundai Tucson GLS or GL R-EVGT

The Altis is best value for money and it just got recently refreshed with new Dual-VVT-i Engines (1.6L Economy with 1.8L Power) and toyota is also offering huge discounts...
    And nothing can beat Toyotas resale values...
    Honda Civic/ CR-V- new models are coming very soon...
    Hyundai Tucson- long waiting list, depreciation still questionable....
    Mitsubishi Lancer- Resale value and maintenance cost....

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by sqt-clark View Post
    Hi Everyone!

I'm just new here in and would want to ask suggestions or opinions from car enthusiasts. I was recently approved to get a car loan and I'm now confused of what to get, a car or a compact SUV. I've always wanted to drive an SUV but the fortuner and montero are just too big for me. Below are my choices, budget is 1.4M:

1. Honda CRV 2.0 M/T or A/T
    2. Hyundai Tucson GLS or GL R-EVGT
    3. Toyota Altis 1.6G or V
    4. Honda Civic 1.8S M/T or A/T

In terms of the following, what would you choose in the following order?
    -fuel efficiency
    -maintenance cost
    -resale value in 5-10 years
    -interior / exterior design

Thank you very much in advance! It would really help me choose of what to buy to replace my current ride. Suggestion of other cars are also welcome. More power to you guys!

I just regrouped the cars listed above in categories where they would be best at. 1st, 2nd positioning is irrelevant.

Fuel efficiency:
    -toyota altis 1.6L
    -tucson diesel

Maintenance cost:
    -toyota altis 1.6L
    -honda civic 1.8l

Resale Value:
    -honda civic
    -lancer ex gta

interior/exterior design:
    -honda civic
    -lancer ex gta

I bought a Lancer EX GLS a year ago. Great car to drive in the city or out of town. Powerful engine accelerates quick and smoothly. Spacious interior.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    I'd recommend getting a CUV. Manila roads are just dreadful and you never know when its suddenly going to flood when you're on your way home from work. For this, the Tucson ReVGT fits the bill since you get higher ground clearance, more space to fit your stuff inside, cheaper diesel fuel, and a more fuel efficient and powerful engine as compared to its gasoline powered counterparts of the same displacement.

If you want a sedan, I'd suggest you get the Civic 1.8S for equal parts performance and equal parts fuel economy. And with the Honda, you get many more ways of getting more power out of the engine should you wish to go the tuner route.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Kung sedan, Lancer GT-A.

Civic is really getting old. Bitin ako sa power ng 1.8S..

Kung CUV, Tucson na. No questions asked. Yung CR-V luma na rin, tapos bitin sa features yung 2.0L, kung 2.4L 4WD pwede pa..

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    I'd recommend getting a CUV. Manila roads are just dreadful and you never know when its suddenly going to flood when you're on your way home from work. For this, the Tucson ReVGT fits the bill since you get higher ground clearance, more space to fit your stuff inside, cheaper diesel fuel, and a more fuel efficient and powerful engine as compared to its gasoline powered counterparts of the same displacement.

If you want a sedan, I'd suggest you get the Civic 1.8S for equal parts performance and equal parts fuel economy. And with the Honda, you get many more ways of getting more power out of the engine should you wish to go the tuner route.

Buying a CUV for those once a year you-have-to-drive-through-a flooded-road reason is just the same as people buying SUVs which never see a dirt road in their whole useful life.

I have seen stupid people in pickup trucks (example: F150 or HILUX) or SUVs that turn back from a flooded road that I, moments later, have driven through with my corolla.

If the flooded road looks too deep, then don't even try to drive through it. Just wait for the water to go down. Any reason is a good reason to detour to the nearest starbucks (preferably on high ground) and grab a hot coffee on a stormy day.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    get an suv preferably the tucson.

the higher ground clearance is not only helpful during the occasional flood but more importantly it gives you a taller perspective of what lies ahead on the road and on your lane. this way you can anticipate your next maneuver should something happen to the car in front of you. the height of an suv also helps you switch lanes should there be an unexpected traffic build up on your lane ie may nasiraan pala 2-3 cars ahead of you

8. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Thanks for sharing your knowledge about the said cars..i really appreciate it!

I would really love to have a Tucson but the waiting list is just too long and i was informed that i have to wait for 2 months. this is the reason why i opted to get a Honda CRV and i don't have any background when it comes to diesel engines. any hyundai dealers you know that can provide a unit is a shorter span of time?

For sedan, i think it's a close battle between civic and altis. since the new honda civic was already released, do you guys have any idea when it will be available here in the phils? by that time, i think the price of the FD's will be lesser since I like the look of the FD's compared to the pictures of the new civic.

Apologies for asking too much questions since i'm really new in buying a new car since all that i had before were all second hand cars including my present ride. I guess i have to test drive all of them to compare.

Many thanks again to all tsikoteers and if you still have other feedbacks or suggestions, feel free to let me know. More power to you guys!

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by sqt-clark View Post
    For sedan, i think it's a close battle between civic and altis. since the new honda civic was already released, do you guys have any idea when it will be available here in the phils? by that time, i think the price of the FD's will be lesser since I like the look of the FD's compared to the pictures of the new civic.

Honda lowering the price of their cars? ... you must be joking! When the new model comes out, expect a minimum of a 10% increase in SRP and no discounts for the first year.

10. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Buying a CUV for those once a year you-have-to-drive-through-a flooded-road reason is just the same as people buying SUVs which never see a dirt road in their whole useful life.

I have seen stupid people in pickup trucks (example: F150 or HILUX) or SUVs that turn back from a flooded road that I, moments later, have driven through with my corolla.

If the flooded road looks too deep, then don't even try to drive through it. Just wait for the water to go down. Any reason is a good reason to detour to the nearest starbucks (preferably on high ground) and grab a hot coffee on a stormy day.
    Sa amin kasi hindi once a year case yan. Mabahain ang area namin so medyo allergic ako sa low vehicles. Years ago, we sold our 1997 Accord in almost showroom condition and bought the Trooper due to the flooding problems in our area. Also because the Accord had very frequent trips to do wheel alignment due to the bad condition of our roads. Na-trauma narin kasi before, that Accord was stranded in hood deep floodwaters due to traffic in the area (tumaas ng tumaas ang tubig) and the resulting damage was a replaced transmission which cost us around 200k. That's why I never recommend sedans over SUVs. Is the waiting list of the Tucson still that long? I'd thought it would have somewhat shortened by now. If not, perhaps you would be interested in the Santa Fe 4x2? As for the Lancer EX, to the best of my knowledge diba gas guzzler yan? Kapag ako, Civic 1.8S nalang. Since you mentioned the Altis 1.6, I'm sure performance is not that high up your list.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
A Car or a Compact SUV? Please Help..