New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Hi Guys,

I'm a newbie when it comes to cars since I am more into motorcycles.
    It is my first time to buy a second hand car since lumalaki na ang family. I prefer to have a 1.3L engine only since wife ko lang naman and 14yr old daughter ang kasama ko. I'm not into speed... I'm more on economical.

My target sana is the Lancer Cyclone (singkit) since yun lang ang alam kong 1.3L na pasok sa 70K budget ko.

My question is ano-ano ba ang mga kailangan kong tignan sa pagsilip ng sasakyan?

Ano-ano ang mga kailangan kong itanong sa may ari ng sasakyan na nagbenta.

Other inputs na helpful is highly appreciated.

Big thanks in advance... and wish me luck in getting my first car this month

2. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    1st consideration: engine
    2nd: interior condition of the car
    3rd: pang ilalim
    4th: all gauges and other accessories works well (lalo na yung mga windows)

PS: make sure that it is not a "hot car".

3. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    road test, bring a trusted mechanic friend to asses the car, check the records,if possible have a car history done on the car (this is usually done by banks for second hand auto loan appraisals), lastly incorporate in your deed of sale that a warranty against hidden defects be included to desuade unscrupulous car sellers from taking advantage of you.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2010
    with 70k at your disposal, you can get a Kia Pride, or better, a Sentra LEC. both have good abundance on parts, they are easy to fix as well, and madaming nagkalat around the metro, so you get good mechanic support.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    the most important items to check are the documents. everything must be original, not xerox. and all the numbers should check out. check the numbers on the engine and chassis yourself. check the color on the document and on the metal.
    examine the engine and body. over and under. crawl under the car if you can't get it to a gas station to have it lifted. check for rust. check for oil leaks. check for collision repair. use a magnet if you can, to check for masilya.
    check the passenger compartment. is the upholstery ok? are the plastics ok and complete? dashboard ok? do all the lights and instruments in the dash function? all switches and lights functioning?
    now, start the engine from cold. it should start with one click. if it does not start from cold with one click, there may be something wrong with it that you wouldn't want to get stuck with. remember murphy's law: "it's worse than you can imagine.."
    give it a road test. possibly, you can road test it on the way to the gas station for that lift. legitimate sellers who have nothing to hide, should not object to the road test, provided you have a license and it does not include the indy 500.. if they object, so should you. show them your objection by walking away and not coming back. (again, remember murphy's law above. it makes walking away so much easier..) during the road test, check all controls, pedals, etc. drive over lumps and bumps, listening for loose suspension parts. is the car easy to drive? if it's not easy to drive, then don't buy it. you need a car to make life easier, not harder.
    remember, a second hand car is not perfect. if it were, they wouldn't be selling it at this ridiculously low price. and please have something left over after the sale. this is for necessary repairs that you did not consider early on, when your adrenalin was on high.. the older the car, the more expensive and more difficult spare parts are to get..
    of course, the assumption is, you know what you're doing. if you don't, get someone who knows how and who you trust, to do it for you.
    buy the most expensive car (meaning, most well maintained) you can afford; this will probably give you the least headaches.
    lastly, there are brands that are simply too cheap to resist but are too expensive to maintain. avoid these. i can't mention them here because i might get sued..
    (warranty against hidden defects..? don't we all wish it... good luck with that.)
    oh, and whatever you do, DON'T RUSH! it's the sellers who are supposed to be rushing, not the buyers. it's actually a buyers' market out there. so many choices.. maraming kotse diyan. the next one might be the better buy..
    good luck.
    Last edited by dr. d; September 26th, 2010 at 11:36 PM.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2010
    very well said dr. d! i've been collecting/gathering as much info as i could in prep for buying a second hand car. thanks!

7. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    with 70k budget, you have to get a car for 50k, reserve 20 for surprise repairs.

8. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    The B13 Nissan Sentra LEC might be within your budget. Its better than the Lancer and Corolla of the same generation in that its engine utilizes DOHC 16 valve technology already, which makes it slightly more powerful and more fuel efficient. Its got the trademark Nissan ice cold aircon as well.

buying a second hand car, what do I need to know (70K budget)