New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    I am looking to buy a 2nd-hand DIESEL pick-up in a couple of weeks and I need some advise on what particular model to get. I had the the Hilux in mind but after researching online it sounds like its not the best model available. I would prefer a 4x4 model with automatic transmission but am open to a 4x2 with a manual tranny.

I actually like the previous Hilux model (the body before the present model) but am not sure if it would still give me at least 5 years with minimal headaches. I can go as much as Php 700,000 for this purchase as long as I can be confident that I am getting my money's worth.

I will be using this car for road trips; carrying surfboards, mountain bikes, and other cargo. I will be using this for my daily Paranaque - New Manila route as well. I presently drive a 1996 V6 Galant and to be honest, am not very happy with Mitsubishi in terms of durability and maintenance.

What pick-up would be best for me? I would like a low-maintenance, durable, dependable, and value-for-money truck for this purchase. I had Toyota as top-of-mind because of its reputation as being hassel-free in terms of parts, reliability, and resale value, but if you guys can give me more tips in choosing a pick-up I would appreciate it a lot.

Thanks, hope to hear from someone soon.
    Last edited by chuckieholic; June 29th, 2009 at 12:09 PM. Reason: missed some info

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Have you considered X-Trail?

You can carry the boards on the roof rails and bikes in the rear cargo area. The plastic floor of the cargo area makes it more practical than other SUVs with carpeted cargo flooring.

Although it uses gasoline, the 4x4 2.5L version gives decent FC figures. It can also be converted to Auto-LPG for added fuel cost savings when driven in the city and still use gasoline when on long distance out-of-town trips.

In the 2nd hand market, 2003 to 2005 Nissan X-Trail 2.5L 4x4 starts at just over P500K.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    2nd hand strada maybe? 2007 model or lower.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by renzo_d10 View Post
    2nd hand strada maybe? 2007 model or lower.
    Thanks Renzo_d10.

Really? Over the Hilux and Dmax? I'm looking at the 2004 model 4x4 A/T Strada which goes for 500-600K. How available are the parts for this and how is it better than the models I mentioned?

5. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posted in another thread but I thought it also applies to this one.

I am looking to buy a 2nd-hand DIESEL pick-up in a couple of weeks and I need some advise on what particular model to get. I had the the Hilux in mind but after researching online it sounds like its not the best model available. I would prefer a 4x4 model with automatic transmission but am open to a 4x2 with a manual tranny.

I actually like the previous Hilux model (the body before the present model) but am not sure if it would still give me at least 5 years with minimal headaches. I can go as much as Php 700,000 for this purchase as long as I can be confident that I am getting my money's worth.

I will be using this car for road trips; carrying surfboards, mountain bikes, and other cargo. I will be using this for my daily Paranaque - New Manila route as well. I presently drive a 1996 V6 Galant and to be honest, am not very happy with Mitsubishi in terms of durability and maintenance.

What pick-up would be best for me? I would like a low-maintenance, durable, dependable, and value-for-money truck for this purchase. I had Toyota as top-of-mind because of its reputation as being hassel-free in terms of parts, reliability, and resale value, but if you guys can give me more tips in choosing a pick-up I would appreciate it a lot.

Thanks, hope to hear from someone soon.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Yes, the Toyota Hilux SR5 LN166 body similar to this is a nice pick up in the 2nd hand market.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Yes Gerbo this is actually the model I had in mind when I thought of getting a pick-up. Would you know the years this model came out and if it had A/T? Hindi naman sya yung mga converted to LHD diba?

8. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Multiple threads ginawa nyo sir on the same topic.

Some of your questions here are answered there.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckieholic View Post
    Yes Gerbo this is actually the model I had in mind when I thought of getting a pick-up. Would you know the years this model came out and if it had A/T? Hindi naman sya yung mga converted to LHD diba?

we have a 2001 hilux sr5 m/t. we have been using it everyday for almost 8 years and doesn't give us any problem, very reliable and very cheap to run.

sir, 2001-2005. no automatic transmission for this model. orig LHD
    Last edited by kha; July 1st, 2009 at 12:03 AM.

Buying a Pick-Up, Need Tips