New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Hi,

I am new here and this is my first post. I just like to seek some advice from you guys and gals.

We are planning to buy our first family car. The problem is I don't know anything about cars, so I hope you can help me get the best one out there. Since it's a family car I was leaning toward the starex, however after reading some positive feedback about the montero, now I am considering it too. Also, I would like to know the others that you can suggest.

Can you please help me choose the right one. The car should be spacious, the riding experience should be great, also I need to know about the maintenance, which has a higher resale value just in case I want to sell and of course which one is the safest to drive..

Thanks in advance.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Maybe aside from the details you have stated, you could also state the number of passengers seating, the usual route and of course the maximum budget.

For the meantime, here are the answer to your queries.

The car should be spacious .

-> The Grand Starex seats more, whichever variant it may be.

The riding experience should be great .

-> You couldn't expect something greater than the Starex except from it's other competitors. The Montero in this case, is not one of the Starex's competitor.

I need to know about the maintenance .

-> Maintenance I believe is cheaper with the Starex. Both however has the same PMS intervals -, 5,000km.

Higher Resale Value .

-> The Montero, I think is higher than the Starex, though the difference isn't that far.

Which one is the safest to drive .

-> The only answer I could tell is, always drive safe. Because, whichever car you drive ... if you're really fast and hit a barrier, even those airbags wouldn't help.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Thanks renzo_d10 for thie quick response... We are now leaning towards the starex. We'll be visiting honda and toyota today... so I hope we can get the right car for us.

thanks a lot.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    ^ Honda and Toyota ? For what ? The CR-V and the Fortuner ?

If so, the CRV is a great pick. The Fortuner is not, as in .

Or, maybe you're just mistaken about the brands ?

5. Join Date
    Feb 2010
    We looked at the Toyota Innova and Honda CRV. My wife like the Innova more. It has
    more seats in case me gusto sumama sa amin when we go out of town.. We will check other brands in the coming days and hopefully by the end of this month we can buy one already.

I am still looking for inputs so I would like to ask again.. I know this two cars are different, the Starex and Innova but what I want to know is the engine.. which do you prefer? Talaga po bang me problema sa D4D engine? How about sa engine po ng starex, wala po ba problema?

Thanks again.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Sorry for the double post.. I'm having problems with my network connections.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Sorry for the triple post.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2010
    I'm considering the Nissan Grand Livina. Seats five with capacity for another 2.. total of three rows. Pretty.

Look at the GL thread for information.. or better yet, visit the dealer and do a test drive.

Good thing to do it over the weekend.. there's CNY and Vday freebies I heard.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    if you'll go for the innova, get the gas variant for peace of mind. if you want diesel, the starex or montero will do.

10. Join Date
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by xerex View Post
    We looked at the Toyota Innova and Honda CRV. My wife like the Innova more. It has
    more seats in case me gusto sumama sa amin when we go out of town..
    While the Innova has more seats, the CRV is more comfortable and spacious if you only need 4 to 5 passengers plus the ample cargo space.

Quote Originally Posted by xerex View Post
    . I know this two cars are different, the Starex and Innova but what I want to know is the engine.. which do you prefer? Talaga po bang me problema sa D4D engine? How about sa engine po ng starex, wala po ba problema?

Thanks again.
    Hyundai has the better performing engine and it is reliable, unlike the D-4D which has had unresolved problems (ie. choking, stalling, unusual black smoke, etc..) all the way back in 2005 when it first came out. AFAIK, Hyundai uses Bosch, which has proven to be reliable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Buying new Family Car: Need Advice