New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Hopefully I'll be getting my first new car come December (yey!). Despite driving and owning a preowned car for 2 years now, I am still a bit clueless about what to check for a brand new car (A/T), ie engine? paint?

hope you guys could provide a checklist about what to look for/watch out for before paying for the car. as much as possible, i want to avoid din naman talaga yung 'lemon cars' by taking extra precaution bago ako magbayad. what are the things that i should watch out for? ano po ba ang signs that the car is not in A1 condition (despite na galing pa sya sa casa or plant nila)

1. how would i know na hindi matagal na stock sa casa yung unit?
    2. what are unacceptable flaws? like, pano kung may smudge or something, alin ang mga pwede at hindi pwede palampasin?
    3. is it okay to test drive the car before paying for it?
    4. assuming na yung car na irerelease saken hindi ko gusto for whatever imperfection na makita ko (sa cosmetics nya) ok lang ba magrequest ng other unit?

if id ask this sa SA, syempre oo lang sya ng oo kasi syempre, it's a sale eh. kahit pa tanungin ko kung may warranty sila sa lemon cars, syempre sasabihin nila meron kahit wala naman...

i made a mistake of not taking utmost care when i bought a car before, though i bought it sa friend, meron pa rin mga minor issues, or mga bagay na siguro nakaaffect sa decision ko before kung nalaman ko lang yung ibang issues. kaya this time i want to make it right.

also, is Ford EDSA Greenhills ok? dun kasi ang nakausap kong SA eh (im praying na matuloy na ford ang makuha ko)

thanks much peeps!

ps, pakilist down po say:
    1. Interior
    2. Exterior
    3. Lights
    4. Engine
    5. Pedals
    6. Paint
    7. Audio etc

2. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    ps, pakilist down po say:
    1. Interior
    - check on the mattress of the seats
    - check adjustable knobs on every car seats
    - roll on the windows up & down, and be very speculous on any squeaky sounds as the windows are rolled down
    - check on interior lights and put it on door lights if it works properly
    - dashboard: check if all gauges are working properly; ask the SA if you can road test or drive test the car and be sure that gauges does work properly
    - try to check on the shift knobs if it is tight or too loose (M/T & A/T)
    - check on the aircon and notice it every 3-5 mins interval from the moment you turned it ON if a/c is sufficient enough to ventilate the car and most especially the passengers on board

2. Exterior
    - check on tire thread
    - check on the mud guard if it is properly placed
    - check on the car muffler (holes along the tube)
    - look underneath and side of your car if there is any sign of abuse on car usage (bump, scratch, dent, etc)
    - check the wiper and wiper blades

3. Lights
    - turn ON all lights of the car (car being released not the demo car) - headlights (high and low beam), park lights, reverse lights, hazard light, interior lights, door lights, etc

4. Engine
    - what I can just advise is try to bring a mechanic or a person that does know about mechanical things about the car. Remember that this is the heart of the car.

5. Pedals
    - check on its tightness and looseness of each pedal
    - test drive the car

6. Paint
    - check on any fading of color on the body of the car
    - check on scratches (even if it is a hairline dont accept the released car)

7. Audio etc
    - uhm this is not what I am sure about, am sorry to say but everytime I buy a car, within the week I change my audio system to a car shop
    - Great Audio system: Sony, JVC, Pioneer, Kenwood - its great if its comes in the package of your car
    - check the audio if it is MP3 ready

Payment:
    Installment:
    -Check on the terms of payment and the APR or interest rate being applied on your car loan
    -compare rates with your Financing services and other Banks and financial institution
    -ask the bank/financil institution if they offer rebates on ELPO (Early Loan Pay Off)
    -carefully READ the terms and conditions
    Cash
    -good for you
    -bargain and negotiate to lower down the price since youre paying it in CASH directly

* dont get so overly excited when the car is presented to you by the dealer, that you tend to forget to check on the details of the car and immediately would like to drive the car home, watch your emotions since it happens so better be careful.

Good Luck

:drive1:

3. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    At the dealership, most likely you won't find anything wrong with a brand spanking new unit. Even if you ask the SA how long it's been stocked in the CASA, they'd probably give you a lie.

Some of the things you'll notice whilst driving, the good and the bad. Most likely you won't notice anything out of place upon presentation of the vehicle. Give it a few hundred/thousand miles then you can judge for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by macychic View Post

if id ask this sa SA, syempre oo lang sya ng oo kasi syempre, it's a sale eh. kahit pa tanungin ko kung may warranty sila sa lemon cars, syempre sasabihin nila meron kahit wala naman...
    If you ask the SA if your car can climb Mount Everest they would probably say yes. A sale = income to them. Don't be 100% confident about what the SA's tell you.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    the list if very informative, pero once na nilabas mo na sa casa yan at nai-drive mo na, dun mo malalaman in the long run kung walang lumalabas na defect...

5. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Just saw this checklist at mycarforum.com. HTH.

http://www.mycarforum.com/index.php?...=post&id=24302

6. Join Date
    May 2010
    mga tol gano katagal usually yung checking process (going thru the checklist) before receiving yung car sa casa?

pag nailabas ko na yung with some defects na hindi ko napansin puwede pa rin naman paayos yun and if grabe mapalitan unit with the warranty?

7. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    i can make a cursory five minute check. or i can do a comprehensive check that will put a 747 pilot to shame, lasting half a day. and still, i may miss something!
    bottom line, i just get the car and enjoy. i'll let the warranty do the rest.

Buying a New Car: Checklist before paying for the car | Leaving the Casa/Dealership