New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2016
    im planning to buy my first car.
    I previously drive a toyota corolla lovelife. so i am an experienced driver already

but i am torn between buying a relatively new car (repo or 2nd hand dealer) and a brand new car.

Q: is it better to buy an old car on a higher line up or to buy a car in a lower line up
    EX: CIVIC 2013 or HONDA CITY 2018

Note: I can only afford to have it financed so yan ang dillema ko

Advantages (for me)
    -the CIVIC cost less, is bigger and has a more powerful engine, and only 28K+ mileage
    -the CITY is new so that's that.

salamat po sa sasagot

2. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Interest rates for used cars are much higher ...

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    The Civic is not a midsize sedan. It is a compact sedan while the City is a subcompact sedan.

If you are very sure of the history of the Civic, I would take it over a new City. It is bigger and better to drive plus fuel consumption and maintenance is not that far off from a City. However, I would suggest that you buy a used car in cash rather than loan it. If you have doubts on its history, walk away and find another one.

If you can spare a bit more, I would suggest that you buy a brand new Civic instead. You will have to loan either way if you buy a new City also. The City is a good appliance car - nothing fancy, so-so performance, decent fuel consumption, ease of maintenance, and it can get you from point A to B just like a Civic could. However, a Civic is much better car overall.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2017
    I totally agree on this, it is better to buy a second hand car in cash. Sooner or later, you'll have something to fix it. That may mess up your budget.

Of course, buying a new car doesn't mean you won't have anything to spend on maintenance. A new car is "required" to be maintained in casa. That is something you can get away from a second hand unit.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    The Civic is not a midsize sedan. It is a compact sedan while the City is a subcompact sedan.

I know it's off topic, so please bear with me.

City is subcompact, Civic is compact, and Accord is a midsized​ sedan. Now, what is an example of a full sized sedan?

I remember the car of my grandfather, a V6 or V8 engine I think. We call it "Batman" and I find it very long. Or I might be imagining it to be very long and very big because I was so young then.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Amen to this. If cash and the car is in acceptably good condition, the used civic I'd get.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Archerfish View Post
    I know it's off topic, so please bear with me.

City is subcompact, Civic is compact, and Accord is a midsized​ sedan. Now, what is an example of a full sized sedan?

I remember the car of my grandfather, a V6 or V8 engine I think. We call it "Batman" and I find it very long. Or I might be imagining it to be very long and very big because I was so young then.
    A full size sedan are the likes of the Honda Legend, Lexus 460, Kia K900, Chrysler 300C, BMW 7-series, Mercedes S-class, Audi A8/S8, etc.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2017
    A full size sedan are the likes of the Honda Legend, Lexus 460, Kia K900, Chrysler 300C, BMW 7-series, Mercedes S-class, Audi A8/S8, etc.
    That answers my question, thank you. So my grandfather really had a full sized sedan. How I wish it wasn't sold.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Thanks for the replies!

If you are very sure of the history of the Civic, I would take it over a new City. It is bigger and better to drive plus fuel consumption and maintenance is not that far off from a City. However, I would suggest that you buy a used car in cash rather than loan it. If you have doubts on its history, walk away and find another one.

If you can spare a bit more, I would suggest that you buy a brand new Civic instead. You will have to loan either way if you buy a new City also. The City is a good appliance car - nothing fancy, so-so performance, decent fuel consumption, ease of maintenance, and it can get you from point A to B just like a Civic could. However, a Civic is much better car overall.
    Yes sir, but unfortunately i do not have cash, that is why I am very unsure of this decision. I get that the interest rates are much higher but it would not reach the overall amount of the new city. (EX: city overall payment in 5 years dp 20% 1M+, civic overall payment in 3 years dp 30% 700k+). So given that civic is a overall better car, can i conclude (given that it is a well maintained car) a 5 year old civic is still better than a brand new city. is the 300k+ for a new city worth?

Quote Originally Posted by Archerfish View Post
    I totally agree on this, it is better to buy a second hand car in cash. Sooner or later, you'll have something to fix it. That may mess up your budget.

Of course, buying a new car doesn't mean you won't have anything to spend on maintenance. A new car is "required" to be maintained in casa. That is something you can get away from a second hand unit.
    Yes sir, as i have said above, the "fixes" (which is a part of my budget) will not reach the overall amount of the new city.

10. Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Yes sir, i am aware of the risk here. but like i said on my previous reply. the added interest will still not reach the overall amount of the bnew car in a lower car line

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast