New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    You can always reflash or chip for more power when those come out for the 1.5.

It's still a wait-and-see for me, but I actually would trust the 6AT much more than the previous dual clutch transmission.
    That is what they have been telling me for my small yet potent 1.0L Ecoboost engine. Some simple ECU remaps can increase the output from 125hp/170Nm to 150Hp/200Nm. Anything more might not match the limits of the DCT.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2015
    how about cityvx?

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by goodvibes8888 View Post
    how about cityvx?
    The City VX is a decent subcompact sedan but it is a bit expensive for its size. However, for a budget of 1M, a middle trim compact is a better option. The City VX may have the features but it is no Civic or Altis or Mazda3.

If you need a good utility car to haul people people around the city for 900k, the City VX is quite good with its roamy interiors and decent fuel efficiency. Don't expect it to be sporty though. Honda's small L engines are geared more fuel efficiency and lacks low end grunt. If you want to get the oomph on it, you have to go thru the 3 stages of i-VTEC and rev it past 5k rpm. For outright sportiness on a 900k budget, the Fiesta 1.0L Ecoboost will trump all the others in its class.
    Last edited by Egan101; July 17th, 2016 at 04:18 PM.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    The City VX is a decent subcompact sedan but it is a bit expensive for its size. However, it is not at par with middle trim compacts.
    Any basis for the last sentence sir?

5. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by chicosci View Post
    Hi all,

I am planning to buy a car to be used as a daily ride. It will be a replacement for my 2008 altis 1.6v. Here are my top considerations.

1.) Nissan Sylphy 1.8 upper
    2.) Honda Jazz VX+ CVT
    3.) All new Honda Civic 1.8E. (This is kind of a budget stretch)

My decision points are the following

1.) FC (QC to Makati via edsa rush hour)
    2.) Ride quality
    3.) PMS Cost (CASA)
    4.) ICE

Thank you.

That is the dilemma.

Those who have this amount of money may add some more and go with the low end suv.... or those with less will go with the subcompact..

I've read it before and it is also opinion, that segment of the car market is being squeezed out...

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jettp0gi View Post
    Any basis for the last sentence sir?
    As I have said, the City is no Civic or Altis or Focus. or Mazda3. It competes more in the likes of the Vios and Fiesta and Mazda2. For a small difference in price, the Altis 1.6G/1.6V or Sylphy 1.8V or Mazda3 1.5L is a better package over any of the top of the line subcompacts (City VX, Vios 1.5G, etc.).

Our family had a City 1.5E (2009) before and it has served us well. It was used primarily to shuttle people around. It had a big trunk, sits comfortably for a small car, and fuel efficient. However, I never liked how it drives. The steering is not responsive, the suspension feels crashy, and has slow acceleration. The Jazz offers better natural grip even though they share a similar platform. The Civic FD of the same era is a much better car.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    As I have said, the City is no Civic or Altis or Focus. or Mazda3. It competes more in the likes of the Vios and Fiesta and Mazda2. For a small difference in price, the Altis 1.6G/1.6V or Sylphy 1.8V or Mazda3 1.5L is a better package over any of the top of the line subcompacts (City VX, Vios 1.5G, etc.).

Our family had a City 1.5E (2009) before and it has served us well. It was used primarily to shuttle people around. It had a big trunk, sits comfortably for a small car, and fuel efficient. However, I never liked how it drives. The steering is not responsive, the suspension feels crashy, and has slow acceleration. The Jazz offers better natural grip even though they share a similar platform. The Civic FD of the same era is a much better car.
    So it's personal preference lang pala. OK sir, understood.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jettp0gi View Post
    So it's personal preference lang pala. OK sir, understood.

Go for the Ford Ecosport, you are not subjected to floods unlike sedans.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2011
    I have a '14 Altis 1.6G AT and recently bought a '16 City 1.5E AT. Driving both, I feel that the City is more responsive and punchy. I also like hearing the car do the VTEC sound when you floor it. Windshield visibility is a problem by my 5'3" wife on the Altis, she says, she can't see the hood that well and the high dashboard obstructs her view. Interior features, if we are pitting the City 1.5VX vs the Altis 1.6V, hands down the City wins with it's hightech interior. But on my cars which are both entry level models, it's the Altis that wins since my City 1.5E is just too bare. Well the price difference for both my cars were more or less 150k.

Space - both cars offer a premium in leg space. But if we will talk about shoulder space, I think the City can only comfortably sit 4 while the Altis 5.

PMS cost? My City just finished it's first 1000kms and it was for free. But I'll just leave this here. My '14 CRV cost much less than what it cost my PMS on my Altis. In 1 year, my CRV cost me 14k(2 visits - every 6 months), while my Altis can go more than 18k(3 visits - every 5000kms) in a year. Just imagine how much less my PMS cost will be on the City with it's smaller displacement.

Fuel Consumption? Still the City. On an average of 20kph, my Altis gets around 9.5kms/liter, while on the same average speed, my City can do around 10.5kms/liter.

Registration cost? My sister owns a '10 Altis and it is considered by the LTO as a midsize sedan. Same with my '14 Altis. While the City is still considered as a compact car. So registration cost may save you around 2 to 3k/year if you get the City.

10. Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by sientobente View Post
    I have a '14 Altis 1.6G AT and recently bought a '16 City 1.5E AT. Driving both, I feel that the City is more responsive and punchy. I also like hearing the car do the VTEC sound when you floor it. Windshield visibility is a problem by my 5'3" wife on the Altis, she says, she can't see the hood that well and the high dashboard obstructs her view. Interior features, if we are pitting the City 1.5VX vs the Altis 1.6V, hands down the City wins with it's hightech interior. But on my cars which are both entry level models, it's the Altis that wins since my City 1.5E is just too bare. Well the price difference for both my cars were more or less 150k.

Space - both cars offer a premium in leg space. But if we will talk about shoulder space, I think the City can only comfortably sit 4 while the Altis 5.

PMS cost? My City just finished it's first 1000kms and it was for free. But I'll just leave this here. My '14 CRV cost much less than what it cost my PMS on my Altis. In 1 year, my CRV cost me 14k(2 visits - every 6 months), while my Altis can go more than 18k(3 visits - every 5000kms) in a year. Just imagine how much less my PMS cost will be on the City with it's smaller displacement.

Fuel Consumption? Still the City. On an average of 20kph, my Altis gets around 9.5kms/liter, while on the same average speed, my City can do around 10.5kms/liter.

Registration cost? My sister owns a '10 Altis and it is considered by the LTO as a midsize sedan. Same with my '14 Altis. While the City is still considered as a compact car. So registration cost may save you around 2 to 3k/year if you get the City.

it's also much harder to sell bigger sedans (compacts to midsized) later on when you decide to sell. yes, they will give you more comfort and space, but just be prepared to get lowballed later on when it's time to sell. subcompacts will have more buyers later on.

for P1M, might be better to consider CUVs. these generally sell better also if you want the space of a compact.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast