New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Hi,

I am thinking of getting a bmw e36 316i, reason is just a car to use a weekend perhaps.

Another reason is I plan to hopefully a restore this car aesthetically and performance wise. Not that I am planning to put turbo but a good sounding engine. Getting body kits and 18's for these.

For the owners of these cars, where do you service this car? I heard that maintenance is like a jap car. Problem is I do not know where to get them.

Please help me tips on what to look for this car. I plan to view some e36 this weekend.

How about an e46? How much for the maintenance?

thank you

2. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    I have an E36.

316i is so underpowered, if you like speed, you'll just get disappointed. But its a good car and has a good handling. The body is strong and still looks pogi even for a 12+ year old car. Gas consumption is also not good because of its little engine plus a heavy body.

If you can, you might want to have the 320i, which has a straight 6 engine which is a lot faster than the 316i and has a nice straight 6 engine sound. Although, thirstier than the 316.

If you can maintain it outside the casa's premises then you can get cheaper usual maintenance tune-ups. But for the parts, there are a lot of surplus but I always opt for OEM parts. E36 parts are still expensive compared to japs cars.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by garfield1414 View Post
    Hi,

I am thinking of getting a bmw e36 316i, reason is just a car to use a weekend perhaps.

Another reason is I plan to hopefully a restore this car aesthetically and performance wise. Not that I am planning to put turbo but a good sounding engine. Getting body kits and 18's for these.

For the owners of these cars, where do you service this car? I heard that maintenance is like a jap car. Problem is I do not know where to get them.

Please help me tips on what to look for this car. I plan to view some e36 this weekend.

How about an e46? How much for the maintenance?

thank you

First of all, the BMW 316i is slow and under powered. It's fuel consumption is rather high given it's small engine. The better option is either the 318 or the 320.

As for maintenance, it will be definitely more expensive than a japanese car, especially when parts start breaking down as with any old car. Simple maintenance like sparkplugs and oil change is not the issue. It's the wear & tear of the car itself that you should be wary of.

You can also try reading the following thread about how expensive BMW maintenance can get.

http://tsikot.yehey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72781

Recently we just replaced the ignition coil pack on my dad's 318i. That was P12,000 for parts alone.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    By the way.

316i comes only with a manual tranny while the 320 with an auto tranny only.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    First of all, the BMW 316i is slow and under powered. It's fuel consumption is rather high given it's small engine. The better option is either the 318 or the 320.

As for maintenance, it will be definitely more expensive than a japanese car, especially when parts start breaking down as with any old car. Simple maintenance like sparkplugs and oil change is not the issue. It's the wear & tear of the car itself that you should be wary of.

You can also try reading the following thread about how expensive BMW maintenance can get.

http://tsikot.yehey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72781

Recently we just replaced the ignition coil pack on my dad's 318i. That was P12,000 for parts alone.
    id prefer a manual since this is a 10 plus year old car. if there is a 320i manual, then why not, but I heard that bmw phils. did not sell these locally. so I am stuck with the 316i.

i dont mind if it is underpowered since I will be using it like a twice a month. The purpose of this car is just for "show" type. (but not to the extent of what you see in car shows). Theme would be either a m3 or mtech body kits.

your dad's 318i, thats e46 right? where do you service it? if you dont mind me asking.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2011
    also, where to get oem parts? asides from the casa, of course, I heard they were way much cheaper than what is sold in the casa.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Based on my experience, sirain ang bmw at napakamahal ng maintenance.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    I source my OEM parts from either of this two

murangparts and bimparts, just search them on google and you'll see their multiply account.

Some parts are ordered overseas and may take a while to be shipped, kaya medyo mahirap din magpaayos ng bimmer.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Para Ordenance View Post
    I source my OEM parts from either of this two

murangparts and bimparts, just search them on google and you'll see their multiply account.

Some parts are ordered overseas and may take a while to be shipped, kaya medyo mahirap din magpaayos ng bimmer.
    im sure sa e36 and e46, madali lang i outsource. how much ang price difference ng two sources na yan? like nasa 40%?

where do you service/replace the parts that you order? they do labor also?

10. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    The price difference between the two isnt that high, some parts are cheaper from the murangparts and some are more expensive. It depends on what supplies are available.

As far as I know, they do labors too.

I am from the province so I just let them ship my parts via LBC and do the labor my own if I can or in the talyer near us that specializes on european cars.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
bmw 3 series