New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    I am planning to buy a 2nd hand Sentra (2001-2005) and I'm quite particular with FC.

I have been seeing some varied info as far as FC is concerned for the GX (from 6-9 km/l) for city driving. I know I can opt for MT for better FC, but need some help on which model/variant is best (given the same conditions/driving style).

I also am considering the 2001-2003 Honda Civic (VTi or LXi), would the civic be better in terms of FC?

Salamat!

2. Join Date
    May 2010
    Fuel efficiency depends on a lot of factors. Driving habits, vehicle condition, weight of vehicle, etc. The Civic LXI you're considering does not have the vaunted VTEC engine and packs a less horsepower compared to the VTI variant. But the 2001-2003 model is significantly heavier than the EK Civic it replaced.

The Sentra, on the the other hand, has a 1.6 Liter engine with VTC engine technology. It may not be as vaunted as the one in Honda but fuel efficiency is decent enough. If you can, avoid the B14 Sentra Exalta, the vehicle isn't that much efficient as regular Sentras does.

If I may suggest, also add the Toyota Corolla Altis 1.6 in your choices, and also the Vios.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Thanks for the reply Myk!

What year and to which models did the VTC engine came out? What is the average FC for this engine?

I also looked into those vios being sold in the market but the prices are steeper than of the Sentras and Civic's (2001-2003).

As for the Altis, I am quite hesitant because of the oil sludging issues I have heard.

4. Join Date
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by gerald_g View Post
    Thanks for the reply Myk!

What year and to which models did the VTC engine came out? What is the average FC for this engine?

I also looked into those vios being sold in the market but the prices are steeper than of the Sentras and Civic's (2001-2003).

As for the Altis, I am quite hesitant because of the oil sludging issues I have heard.
    The VTC came out last 2004, i think (correct me if im wrong)

5. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    The Civic is the most fuel efficient among your choices. That's uhm, for the VTi/S variants. Not familiar with the non-vtec ones. Sorry.

The main reason why the GX gives poor FC ( about 7km/l ) is because of it's heavy body and its low displacement - 1.3L - combined. It's quite underpowered too. If you're considering a Sentra, might as well look into the higher variants ( GSX / GS ) which offers a higher displacement ( 1.6L ) hence the engine wont be that stressed out and it might just possibly give you a better FC vs. its 1.3L counterpart.

This is btw for the 04~05 N16 Sentras.

EDIT : The sludge issue on the ZZ ( Altis ) is avoidable as long as proper maintenance is followed.
    Last edited by renzo_d10; March 30th, 2011 at 05:34 PM.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    On the N16 Sentra, look for a 1.5L DS model in m/t guise. Not too many though but its the most FC efficient of the Sentra bunch.

I also had a 1.5L ES body Civic before and it would do around 9km/L in the city usually (no tipid driving, just regular driving). Probably wont be much different from the 1.6L m/t.
    Last edited by vinj; March 30th, 2011 at 06:32 PM.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Thanks for your input Renzo, Vinj and Myk!

I am now leaning towards the altis (2001-2002) and the Sentra (2004-20006). Simply because of how cheap and easy it is to maintain the Altis; and how much newer my car could be if I get the Sentra.

But to me the Vtec3/Dimension Honda Civic is the best in terms of looks, and I like how tidy the interior layout is.