New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    planning to buy a second hand car with a budget of 130-160k. in corolla, lancer or sentra, what model will i get in terms of car reliability,fuel economy, durability, maintenance and spare parts availability. kindly give your advice and suggestions.... this would be my first car if ever. salamat po in advance mga sir.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    YGPM.

Baka lang interested ka. Thanks!

3. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    You can get a fairly recent ('96-'97) AE101 Corolla GLi for that money. One of the toughest sedans from the 90s, as evidenced by the fairly large number of Corolla XL taxis still running today. Because it was in the 90s what the Vios is today, spare parts are still abundant in Banawe and your local auto supply shop.

We had one ('96 GLi MT) and it averaged 8.5 km/l in the city and around 12 km/l on the highway.

Second option for me would be a Nissan Sentra B14 Super Saloon or Super Touring. You can get these for about 20k cheaper than a Corolla of equivalent vintage, which you can spend on repairs. My tito had a Sentra B14 back then, and I think it was a lemon unit that had all sorts of engine and clutch problems. Of course, most B14s aren't like that, but I believe that AE101 Corollas are built a bit better.

If you're gonna make it into a project car though, an SR20DE-powered B14 is more flexible when it comes to upgrades and mods than a 4AGE-powered AE101.

4. Join Date
    May 2011
    Bilhin mo yung ke Renzo at mukhang alagang alaga niya yun :D

5. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    You can get a fairly recent ('96-'97) AE101 Corolla GLi for that money. One of the toughest sedans from the 90s, as evidenced by the fairly large number of Corolla XL taxis still running today. Because it was in the 90s what the Vios is today, spare parts are still abundant in Banawe and your local auto supply shop.

We had one ('96 GLi MT) and it averaged 8.5 km/l in the city and around 12 km/l on the highway.

Second option for me would be a Nissan Sentra B14 Super Saloon or Super Touring. You can get these for about 20k cheaper than a Corolla of equivalent vintage, which you can spend on repairs. My tito had a Sentra B14 back then, and I think it was a lemon unit that had all sorts of engine and clutch problems. Of course, most B14s aren't like that, but I believe that AE101 Corollas are built a bit better.

If you're gonna make it into a project car though, an SR20DE-powered B14 is more flexible when it comes to upgrades and mods than a 4AGE-powered AE101.
    thanks for your reply sir. 1.6 din po ba yung sentra b14 sir? ano pinagkaiba ng sentra b14 sa corolla gli?

6. Join Date
    May 2004
    Corolla Gli is good buy... be more particular sa wheel well prone to rusting... and power steering leak... other than that its a great car... as for the b14 medjo mas malakas ng konte sa Gas compare to Gli.. parts are easy to find... for me mas gusto ko interior and ergonomics ng b14... and advantage ng b14 is naka timing chain na siya... be more aware on the idle problem of the b14... both car are great... hanap ka lang ng mas sariwa and as much as possible stock...

7. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    I'll go Sentra on this one. Since, I'm sure you'll be seeing higher model year for your budget. Sentra has more features and does all that the GLi can better for much less.

But if you insist on a GLi, I got a friend who's thinking of selling his.

He's also a regular here in tsikot before. And a tsikoteer takes care of his car well ;)

8. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    thanks sa mga inputs sir. ano po pinagkaiba ng timing chain sa timing belt?

9. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by firefish View Post
    thanks sa mga inputs sir. ano po pinagkaiba ng timing chain sa timing belt?
    belts breaks without warning. chains makes noises before it does break. and even so, their threshold of abuse is much higher than belts.

some does not even require replacements (when use under normal driving).

10. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by basti08 View Post
    I'll go Sentra on this one. Since, I'm sure you'll be seeing higher model year for your budget. Sentra has more features and does all that the GLi can better for much less.

But if you insist on a GLi, I got a friend who's thinking of selling his.

He's also a regular here in tsikot before. And a tsikoteer takes care of his car well ;)

Kaya ang ako din pinag-iisipan ko mabuti bago bumili. Mas gusto ko sana dito makakuha since knowledgeable sa auto karamihan ng members.

*renzo_d10
    sir pwede pa-PM din?

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
which is the best second hand car buy? need help...