New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Hi,

Would appreciate any advice on the subject...

I know most would say the best option for finding second hand cars is through people you know (and consequently their contacts as well). But what if you've exhausted that option, what are the next best options? Online websites like Sulit, AyosDito, etc? Printed ads? Used car lots? Bank repossessed cars? What are the pros and cons for each and what are the things you need to watch out for in each option?

I've searched existing forums and while some topics offer bits and pieces for the answer, there's not one existing forum that talks specifically about this subject, thus the reason for the post. Or, did I just miss it. Any pointers to existing discussions would be helpful as well.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    it's every man for himself out there, sir. there ain't no rules or guidelines.
    but, you might consider paying more attention to a seller who has too many cars.. or someone who is simply.. rich... or a car aficionado..
    rich folks usually spend more in car maintenance, and less in car use abuse..
    buying from the little old lady who used her car only on sundays, might be a good choice. but remember that the demolition derby is held on sundays!
    buying from a seller who is upgrading, migrating, getting a new company car, or simply running out of garage space.. these are relatively good prospects.
    happy hunting.

buying brand new does have its advantages, but at a price.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by hjcals View Post
    Hi,

I know most would say the best option for finding second hand cars is through people you know (and consequently their contacts as well). But what if you've exhausted that option, what are the next best options? Online websites like Sulit, AyosDito, etc? Printed ads? Used car lots? Bank repossessed cars? What are the pros and cons for each and what are the things you need to watch out for in each option?

I've searched existing forums and while some topics offer bits and pieces for the answer, there's not one existing forum that talks specifically about this subject, thus the reason for the post. Or, did I just miss it. Any pointers to existing discussions would be helpful as well.
    I do believe in finding 2nd hand cars online. In fact I've found and subsequently helped my family buy an Isuzu Giga aluminum wing van and a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe 4x2 CRDi through these channels. Both are very, very good buys for very reasonable prices. After this, I tend not to refer to the printed ads anymore. Online ads have pictures and usually more details. Beats the Sunday classfied ads anytime. Used car lots are fine. Our 2006 Mazda Tribute 2.3 4x2 and 2004 Honda Accord 3.0V6 came from such sources. It was the used car lot of a friend though. They are normally more expensive than private sellers so I'd stay away from them especially if I do not know the seller. I'd stay away from bank repossessed cars unless I am 100% sure that it is in good condition. These are usually not that well maintained, and have higher mileage than usual. They're sold in as is where is basis and usually have little room for negotiation.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Hi GTi

Thanks for your input. Would you mind sharing which online websites you used to look for the cars. Any referrals as well for reputable used car lots.

5. Join Date
    May 2005
    I would personally use sulit (hope the forum does not censor that word again). Lots of people selling there.

I would avoid used car lots bec. of higher prices due to the fact they have given the cars a " make over" and rewind the odometers.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Patience isa ring magandang ingredient.
    Tatlo yung kaibigan ko before na nagbebenta ng car, admitedly maganda kondisyon, reasonable din price. Kaso nakabili na ako, offer nila Fortuner less than 20k ang odo (3yrs old) gamit lang pag out of town, Corola less than 10k odo (5yrs old) at mostly nasa abroad may ari, lastly yung Honda city kaso ayaw ibigay sa price ko.(smiley)

Connection lang din, may kaibigan ako sa Mitsu Casa, inaalok ako pag may magandang offer. Yun nga lang tyaga sa pag-aantay.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Aside from the usual low mileage and car occular inspection, It would help also if you know the history of the car's pms.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    I suggest go look online like in Ayosdito. I prefer that site over sulit since the ads are cleaner and the description aren't cluttered. Then meet with the sellers.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Hello hjcals,

sir I can recommend kotse network, i just recently bought civic fd, I can say maayos sila makipag usap kasi walang middle man. Mayari mismo naka deal ko. This week tito ko naman kukuha sa kanya ng fotuner. If you want, you can call him 09228951128 Mike. Sabihin mo ako nag refer syo Ryan.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by hjcals View Post
    Hi,

Online websites like Sulit, AyosDito, etc? These are good venues to search. easy to post on line so most units are posted by original owners. Avoid units posted by agents or middle men. Also, always make a visual inspection of the car at the owners house and not in any meeting place to see what type of car owner he is Printed ads? most of the units posted in print add/classified adds are by agents and traders with open deed of sale. best to avoid this venue. Used car lots? most of the units here are already owned by traders with open deed of sale from the original owners, hence the higher price range and as posted above, made-over masking any defects or accidents. but here you get a chance to see and check many units at one location. good reference for prices and conditions of units Bank repossessed cars? avoid! avoid! because as stated above, units here are over used, abused and some are even sabotaged by the previous owners before they turn it over to the banks

a good source also are cars owned by company officers under car plans because these are well maintained, well loved and clear papers. enjoy the hunting but be PATIENT and dont purchase the first or second that may catch your fancy. Lastly, Compare and compare the units available until you find the best that suits your needs. oh, one last thing, better be sure that the registered owner will sign the deed of sale in your presence to avoid any problems with the LTO when you transfer the ownership.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast