New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Hi guys! I miss the times when I used to spend hours in the shop modifying a car. I'm interested to start a project. I've been out of the scene for a while so I would like to get inputs on selecting a GOOD BASE CAR.

A. Budget 500K
    B. Reliable and can be daily driven (preferably '04 Up)
    C. Easy to find bolt on parts (specifically turbo, clutch, big brakes)
    D. Manual
    E. No need to swap engines (good enough engine to build on)

Roughly speaking, my target for this car is to be able to run with an STI. At least keep up. :-) This probably takes anything less than 1.6L out of the options.

What do you guys think of cruze 1.8L MT (may performance parts ba for this? Does this have potential?)

Lancer -- and build towards evo?

Civic 2.0L?

Sorry for the long post. I would appreciate inputs! Especially those with experience. :-)

Thanks thanks!

2. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Hmm. A Civic 2.0L with a manual.

Syempre Honda, daming bihasa diyan.

Just watch this...

That's a 1.8L FI Civic. Imagine what power the 2.0L FI Civic can produce.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Run with an STI? On track? No swaps?

WRX.

Possibly the only thing that fits the bill would be a Civic FD 2.0 MT. The motor can handle over 250 whp (possibly 300 whp) on stock internals. That's STI territory already.

The only other 2.0 MTs available are the Lancer 2.0 GLX/MX/GT or the Lynx RS. The RS will only handle around 200 whp on stock internals and there are few clutches available for the RS that can take the power. The Lancer might have more boost potential than the Lynx (it is, after all, a 4B11), but I don't know if clutch and drivetrain upgrade options for the FWD 4B11 are as easy to find as they are for the Civic and the Lynx (Lynx LSD is only $610 from the US).

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    For a tuner car, still nothing beats the Honda's. FD Civic fits your budget, assuming that you can find a 2.0M/T for sale that is, since they're pretty rare. Or you'd have to settle with the 1.8.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by renzo_d10 View Post
    Hmm. A Civic 2.0L with a manual.

Syempre Honda, daming bihasa diyan.

Just watch this...

That's a 1.8L FI Civic. Imagine what power the 2.0L FI Civic can produce.
    Just have to vent, this vid appears to be another sample of people putting others at risk with their penis-enlarging speed runs on a public road with other motorists just next to them. Easter weekend pa naman so there are other people on the road with their familes and you could see them pushing it even in traffic.

BTT: with 500k for a base car id probably look for 3series or 5 series bmw to modify. Parts and expertise would be more expensive in all chances. If not, then of course the Honda Civic would have the most choices and support.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Check at Sulit. There are a few FD 2.0L MT posted for less than 500k. An officemate was also thinking of getting one as a project car.

7. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    Just have to vent, this vid appears to be another sample of people putting others at risk with their penis-enlarging speed runs on a public road with other motorists just next to them. Easter weekend pa naman so there are other people on the road with their familes and you could see them pushing it even in traffic.

BTT: with 500k for a base car id probably look for 3series or 5 series bmw to modify. Parts and expertise would be more expensive in all chances. If not, then of course the Honda Civic would have the most choices and support.
    Hahaha you just burst the bubble of the TS. Its exactly what he wanted to do just like the stupid guys on the vid.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    I'd say Lynx RS. Very good base car. Of course, modifying the Lynx isn't all about the oomph... There's an OEM kit good for another 30hp, used in USDM Mazdaspeed Protege. But if you want a much more powerful option, the Lancer GT (manual) might just be good too. Or how about converting a Mazda 3 2.0 to manual? Then slap some turbo! :D

9. Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Thanks everyone for their inputs! :D I'vs decided to go with 2.0L MT Civic FD. Got it today. I actually just got back in from a drive to sta Rosa and back.

The car has decent pull at high revs. There is also a 'fast sensation' to driving this car, so even at 100 speed limit it already felt fast.

Steering is nicely weighted.

Cheers! Thanks again everyone for weighing in.

10. Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Congrats Sir!
    Can we look at some pictures on its improvement soon?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast