New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2017
    This is a segway from my other thread (Altis 1.6) as I am mainly expanding on my choices (max 400k budget) mainly:

Altis (08-12) - Old but reliable, parts availability, T-badge
    Camry (Pre-2012) - cheap second hand because of low resale value, Comfort/luxury, T-badge
    Mirage - Fuel economy, parts availability
    Vios - (Pre-2014) - same as Altis
    Ciaz - Fuel economy, comfort, elegant design, cheap second hand

Its going to be a coding car, but mainly used by my father so comfort is a priority. A/T is a must. Bumper-to-bumper traffic from Marikina to Quezon avenue twice to thrice a week.

I've been looking at Altises and Camrys and I'm still deliberating whether to buy an old but reliable workhorse or buy something newer like a second-hand Mirage/Ciaz with Low miles. Since a 10 year old car is still a 10 year old car, vs a 2 or 3 year old second hand car.

Cheapest option right now is the Altis and Mirage around 300k option. But most of the second hand options I've seen were used heavily as daily drivers. Hard to find a reasonably low mileage/low wear-and-tear unit. Same as Vios.

Older Camrys are easier to find low mileage/low usage. But I am still not familiar with the maintenance costs and parts availability of these units.

Ciaz - since its a low resale value car, I'm able to find a 400k 2017 model with 15k kms or less. It shares its engine with the Ertiga and Swift and the 1.4 K14B engine is one of the most fuel efficient, rivals the Mirage's 3-cylinder engine. Has no glaring weakness according sa Team-BHP forums. Main downside should be parts availability of Suzuki. But then again, I have a 10 year old Celerio that is nothing but fun to drive and reliable. Parts are cheap sa casa so I am aware of the costs of Suzuki ownership.

Inputs appreciated.

2. Join Date
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by leoblack9 View Post
    This is a segway from my other thread (Altis 1.6) as I am mainly expanding on my choices (max 400k budget) mainly:

Altis (08-12) - Old but reliable, parts availability, T-badge
    Camry (Pre-2012) - cheap second hand because of low resale value, Comfort/luxury, T-badge
    Mirage - Fuel economy, parts availability
    Vios - (Pre-2014) - same as Altis
    Ciaz - Fuel economy, comfort, elegant design, cheap second hand

Its going to be a coding car, but mainly used by my father so comfort is a priority. A/T is a must. Bumper-to-bumper traffic from Marikina to Quezon avenue twice to thrice a week.

I've been looking at Altises and Camrys and I'm still deliberating whether to buy an old but reliable workhorse or buy something newer like a second-hand Mirage/Ciaz with Low miles. Since a 10 year old car is still a 10 year old car, vs a 2 or 3 year old second hand car.

Cheapest option right now is the Altis and Mirage around 300k option. But most of the second hand options I've seen were used heavily as daily drivers. Hard to find a reasonably low mileage/low wear-and-tear unit. Same as Vios.

Older Camrys are easier to find low mileage/low usage. But I am still not familiar with the maintenance costs and parts availability of these units.

Ciaz - since its a low resale value car, I'm able to find a 400k 2017 model with 15k kms or less. It shares its engine with the Ertiga and Swift and the 1.4 K14B engine is one of the most fuel efficient, rivals the Mirage's 3-cylinder engine. Has no glaring weakness according sa Team-BHP forums. Main downside should be parts availability of Suzuki. But then again, I have a 10 year old Celerio that is nothing but fun to drive and reliable. Parts are cheap sa casa so I am aware of the costs of Suzuki ownership.

Inputs appreciated.

Since it's mostly going to be used by your dad, who we have to assume is, to put it mildly, a member of the Tito's Club already , will a sedan, like the Camry or even the Altis, be a disadvantage because of their larger sizes compared with the other choices?

I mention this because when my youngest uncle, he's nearing 70 y/o, bought his latest car he opted for a second hand Jimny, because according to him, it's easier to get in and out of and parking it is way easier than a sedan.

Just something to consider, maybe?

For me, among your choices I would go with the Ciaz, had a chance to ride in one and it was quite comfy. Plus a newer car means less potential break downs. Peace of mind when your dad needs to use the car.

HTH.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by sparc179 View Post
    Since it's mostly going to be used by your dad, who we have to assume is, to put it mildly, a member of the Tito's Club already , will a sedan, like the Camry or even the Altis, be a disadvantage because of their larger sizes compared with the other choices?

I mention this because when my youngest uncle, he's nearing 70 y/o, bought his latest car he opted for a second hand Jimny, because according to him, it's easier to get in and out of and parking it is way easier than a sedan.

Just something to consider, maybe?

For me, among your choices I would go with the Ciaz, had a chance to ride in one and it was quite comfy. Plus a newer car means less potential break downs. Peace of mind when your dad needs to use the car.

HTH.
    He's almost 60 and yes matagal nang tito, almost lolo club na. To answer your question though, his daily driver is a Fortuner and he often tells me its hard to see whats in front of his car... gusto pa nga niya ipatanggal yung A-Pillar ng sasakyan niya but that's just not possible. A sedan would be an improvement since its lower and a lower front end = more visibility.

And yes, Suzuki doesn't have issues sa reliability with its K-series engine. They're highly rated everywhere I look. Part of the reason why I'm looking at it too. Toyotas and Hondas may have more parts but if you maintain any car religiously it might as well last 10 years or more.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    in my opinion,
    the ciaz has more driver space than that altis.

my innova has about the same blind spot issue as the fortuner. my wigo has better driver view.
    if driver view is a concern, then you should try these candidates out first.

5. Join Date
    May 2009
    He's almost 60 and yes matagal nang tito, almost lolo club na. To answer your question though, his daily driver is a Fortuner and he often tells me its hard to see whats in front of his car... gusto pa nga niya ipatanggal yung A-Pillar ng sasakyan niya but that's just not possible. A sedan would be an improvement since its lower and a lower front end = more visibility.

And yes, Suzuki doesn't have issues sa reliability with its K-series engine. They're highly rated everywhere I look. Part of the reason why I'm looking at it too. Toyotas and Hondas may have more parts but if you maintain any car religiously it might as well last 10 years or more.
    There you go then, looks like your mind's already made up and you're just looking for confirmation.

I had a Suzuki Samurai (U.S. version) for more than 15 years and it only failed me twice on the road, and that was due to my own negligence even.

I miss my Suzie sometimes.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I suggest you bring your dad when looking for a used car. Later generations of Altis are already tagged as midsize by LTO do their registration cost is the same as a Camry. Fuel consumption might be higher with a Camry but it is a much better car overall than an Altis.

You can also checkout a Civic or Accord. They are about the same in price as a used Altis or Camry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by sparc179 View Post
    There you go then, looks like your mind's already made up and you're just looking for confirmation.

I had a Suzuki Samurai (U.S. version) for more than 15 years and it only failed me twice on the road, and that was due to my own negligence even.

I miss my Suzie sometimes.
    This is only my preliminary research, who knows if someone has a better deal out there. Its either you go Toyota or go repossessed units nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    I suggest you bring your dad when looking for a used car. Later generations of Altis are already tagged as midsize by LTO do their registration cost is the same as a Camry. Fuel consumption might be higher with a Camry but it is a much better car overall than an Altis.

You can also checkout a Civic or Accord. They are about the same in price as a used Altis or Camry.
    Yeah I've read that in the other thread. Very sneaky move by LTO. I think the City is the same segment of the Vios/Mirage/Ciaz although I've read that its not too good with the underchassis side, often I've seen that it sounds hollow daw and the sound insulation isn't too good either. The Honda's resale value is also a bit higher than others, so the only Hondas I see in the second hand segment are the very heavily used units, low usage units are extremely rare.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    This is only my preliminary research, who knows if someone has a better deal out there. Its either you go Toyota or go repossessed units nowadays.

Yeah I've read that in the other thread. Very sneaky move by LTO. I think the City is the same segment of the Vios/Mirage/Ciaz although I've read that its not too good with the underchassis side, often I've seen that it sounds hollow daw and the sound insulation isn't too good either. The Honda's resale value is also a bit higher than others, so the only Hondas I see in the second hand segment are the very heavily used units, low usage units are extremely rare.
    You can’t expect a City or Vios to be as refined as a Civic/Altis or Camry/Accord. There is a reason why these subcompacts are priced lower than compact or midsize sedans.

In the used market, subcompacts are priced about the same as compacts while midsize sedans are just a tad more expensive but midsize sedans have the lowest resale value compared to their SRP. Also,most midsize cars have lower mileage as they are not primarily used as the daily driver.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post

Sir Egan, what year model Camry or Accord do you think is the best value today?

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by papi smith View Post
    Sir Egan, what year model Camry or Accord do you think is the best value today?
    Yung Camry 2007-2011 at Accord 2008-2012. Some of the older ones are around 300k to 400k.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast