New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Hey i need some help. i plan to buy a 2nd hand pick for emergency purposes of my family ( floods and calamity ). i will be installing a snorkel which is why i'm considering a 2003 model ( strada, hilux, 05 ranger...etc ). is this the correct approach? icoconsider ko din b ung computer box ng vehicle? thanks

2. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Hmm... how much is your budget? I'd suggest the Ranger which is known to be the one with the best offroading capabilities in its class, along with very good flood wading capabilities (waterproof computer box, anyone?) Just look at the videos of the Ranger going off road in Youtube. And if you get the models from 2006 and above, you get a very powerful 3.0 liter engine which attains high hp and torque figures at very low rpm levels. Perfect for offroading, don't you think? Great for barreling down the expressway too!

3. Join Date
    Oct 2010
    i see, so even the newer models have sealed computer boxes. and them being crdi doesnt have a an effect on its flood capabilities? budget is around 750k. I assumed kc na yung new models less capable dahil sa mga additional electronics nila

4. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by whapak View Post
    i see, so even the newer models have sealed computer boxes. and them being crdi doesnt have a an effect on its flood capabilities? budget is around 750k. I assumed kc na yung new models less capable dahil sa mga additional electronics nila
    With that budget makakakuha kayo ng 2005 - 2007 model sir.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Of course! Along with the great off road capabilities of the 1st generation Ranger, the new one's got much more pulling power as well. Going through Pinatubo, or Pulag should be just a walk in the park.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2010
    in terms of maintenance...difficulty and cost kumusta naman ang ranger. i noticed among same year models na 2nd hand masmura and benta sa frontier at ranger as compared to hilux and strada, alam nyo kung baket?

7. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    IMO ang Hilux may mataas na resale value dahil sa brand prestige ng Toyota. Ang Strada mahal kasi sarap sakyan, maraming features, malakas at maganda tingnan, although mas maliit ang bed niya in favor of rear passenger space at mas inferior siya off road kapag ikumpara sa iba. Ang Frontier (yung luma ba?)? Mura talaga kasi BULOK. Ang Ranger naman, hindi mataas ang resale value dahil sa brand. Lahat ng Ford bulok ang resale value dahil sa mentality na malakas sila sa gas (which is true with the gas models pero nadamay rin ang mga diesel), at mahal ang piyesa (not sure with those made in Thailand though.)

Advice for Buying a 2nd hand pick up