New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2013
    hi everyone! im planning to buy my first car and i would like to ask for your help and gather your opinions.
    my budget is 300k and looking around the internet, 3-Door pajero caught my eye. but i recently saw some honda city ads for a bit more than my budget.
    im confused on whether to get the 96,97 diesel pajero or add 50k++ and get the city.

here are my considerations:

3 door pajero:
    diesel is cheaper than gas
    iwas baha

honda city:
    i have the impression that maintenance is cheaper than pajero, im not sure though because im a first time owner
    nicer, cleaner interiors

the car will be used for city driving and i will be alone most of of the time.
    what do you think? any other car that fits my budget? thanks guys!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i would go for the city.
    why?

- cheaper maintenance in the long run.
    - higher resale value
    - driving comfort.

other suggestions at 300k:

- Toyota Altis
    - Nissan Sentra
    Last edited by 1D4LV; April 1st, 2013 at 06:48 PM.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    At 300k I assume the Pajero is one of those Subic/Port Irene converted units I woudn't walk away from it, I would run away.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Thanks sir! Im a little confused though. pajero '97s sell for 300k and city 2007 sell for 400k. 100k difference for a car a decade younger? Ganun ba talaga kataas ang resale value ng pajero?

5. Join Date
    Mar 2013
    You dont like cars from subic/port irene sir?

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by kidpogi View Post
    Thanks sir! Im a little confused though. pajero '97s sell for 300k and city 2007 sell for 400k. 100k difference for a car a decade younger? Ganun ba talaga kataas ang resale value ng pajero?
    could be, because you are comparing a SUV to a sedan.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    this is not much about resale value. The Pajero started of way beyond the million mark as brandnew, of course it will still be around a certain hefty amount een after a decade.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Compare their brand new prices. P3M to P700,000 and estimate the depreciations.

9. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    You dont like cars from subic/port irene sir?
    I just don't feel safe with converted cars, if its originally LHD then I wouldn't have a problem with Subic/Port Irene cars. The only cars that I know that come from Subic and Port Irene that are originally LHD are the Benzes, BMW's Porsches and Starex.

10. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    hi everyone! im planning to buy my first car and i would like to ask for your help and gather your opinions.
    my budget is 300k and looking around the internet, 3-Door pajero caught my eye. but i recently saw some honda city ads for a bit more than my budget.
    im confused on whether to get the 96,97 diesel pajero or add 50k++ and get the city.

here are my considerations:

3 door pajero:
    diesel is cheaper than gas
    iwas baha

honda city:
    i have the impression that maintenance is cheaper than pajero, im not sure though because im a first time owner
    nicer, cleaner interiors

the car will be used for city driving and i will be alone most of of the time.
    what do you think? any other car that fits my budget? thanks guys!
    Is fuel efficiency very high in your list? What about performance? I prefer taller, diesel vehicles as daily city drivers. You get more durable underpinnings and the benefits of cheaper diesel fuel and lesser fuel consumption as compared to its gasoline counterpart. I don't mind the age difference a lot. It all boils down to how well the car is taken cared of. I'd say most of our cars (may mga burara din sa pamilya namin ) have interiors that are more well kept than some cars half their age.

If you don't drive fast a lot, the diesel Revo or Adventure would be good workhorses for you. Maintenance and parts cost are cheaper than the Pajero due to a simpler build, you get a lot more cabin space than a 3 door Pajero, and they are about just as durable and flood-worthy as a Pajero. Fuel consumption is similar to a manual transmission Paj, though top speed is only upto around 140-150km/h. We have a diesel Revo as our "harabas" vehicle, and I have to say it is good enough for me in city driving, 90% of the time. Fares well in out of town trips too, if you don't mind the loud noise from the engine and don't have daredevil drivers with Santa Fe's in your convoy who love to do 200km/h runs. :hysterical:

The Honda City is fine. I believe you are talking about the 1.3L iDSI version? Maintenance cost is slightly higher due to having 8 spark plugs to replace instead of the usual 4. Fuel efficiency is extremely good though. Stay away from the CVT variants if its for keeps. It may bore a huge hole in your wallet when it decides to break down prematurely, which it is known to do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast