New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    My mom and I wanted to buy a car this year but I'm having a problem deciding which one to buy. We basically have no knowledge bout cars - parts, maintenance, etc. I'm just about to start to learn how to drive. We don't know of a trusted mechanic and baka mas lokohin pa kami pag nalamang wala kaming alam..poor us

Here's the thing - My mom wanted a 2009 Honda City 1.3A M/T. I'm having second thoughts bout buying a bnew car dahil baka mabangga ko lang lagi since magaaral pa lang ako magdrive. So, I was thinking of us buying a 1994 Honda Civic ESI instead para di masyado masakit sa loob kahit mabangga ko man, plus pwedeng pagpraktisan talaga. Cons: Baka mas mapamahal lang kame lalo sa gastos in the long run sa repairs, gas, etc., since 15 years old na yung car as compared to buying a new one. On the other hand, kung ung Honda City naman, hindi din ba mahal ang maintenance nun? For bnew cars naman, is 2009 Honda City 1.3A M/T better than a 2009 Toyota Vios 1.3J or E M/T? Any inputs will be highly appreciated. Please help, guys. Thanks.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    bnew city vs bnew vios: sa city ako.

pero esi ok din sa starter tama ka parang praktis car muna. manual naman hanap nyo so mas ok kahit may edad na yung kotse

3. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Get a brand new vehicle. You will eventually experience "mabangga" one way or another with our road quality and kind of drivers we have out there. Don't be afraid, fact of life yan.

You are also covered with your warranty, unless ma total sasakyan mo you won't have any much problems basta fully documented ang mga pangyayari you can claim for insurance sakali ngang (knock on wood) mabangga ka. At malay mo rin hindi ito mangyari ever sayo. Don't expect the negative ika-nga.

Modern cars now have all the safety features as standard like airbags and ABS. The money you saved buying a used car is useless kung dead ka na.

I would think twice in buying a 6 year old car more so 10 or a teenager car. As with their human counterparts, they are a pain in the arse.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Get a second hand! Yung mga year 1997 and up para di naman masyadong luma praktis muna kasi pag brandnew takot mabanga, gasgas pati ayaw mo galawin yung parts kasi gusto mo casa parati and wag carb engine ah

5. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Kung worried ka about sa bangga, natural yan. Basta practice defensive driving. Aral ka din muna sa driving school. as for the car, mas maganda na bumili na kayo ng bago. Madodoble lang gastos nyo kung bibili pa kayo ng second hand. Also, ang hirap maghanap ng matinong second hand (remember ONDOY). Vios or City, It depends kung ano gusto nyo. Although mas tipid sa maintenance ang Vios (in terms of cost and labor), medyo mas maganda tignan ang city.

vios..madali at mura....mataas pa resale value..palitan mo nalang kapag confident ka na... buy the ones na binili lang dahil uso/ ung wala pang year-old...para di masakit ang depreciation..

7. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    if you have the budget to buy a brand new car then yun na ang bilhin mo. kamo wala kayong kilalang mekaniko at wala rin kayong alam sa kotse. so chances of a brand new car na masisira eh very slim. whereas kung second hand baka magka diprensya eh mataranta ka pa kung saan mo dadalhin. i suppose kung may budget ka for a brand new car eh malamang may budget ka din for comprehensive insurance don't worry about your car na mabangga o magasgasan, insurance na bahala dun.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Thank you sa mga nagreply..sobrang helpful kayo. Siguro nga, we would consider buying a brand new na lang, bahala na nga ang insurance just in case may mangyaring di maganda (wag naman).. kase isip namin baka talaga mas mapamahal pa kame sa gastos kung 2nd hand kung sirain din naman dahil di kami marunong tumingin ng matinong 2nd hand, baka maloko pa. So as for the bnew cars, we're just down to either Honda City or Vios. Ano kaya mas ok talaga between the two?

Worry ko lang sa Honda is mahal nga daw ang parts and maintenance as compared to Toyota, pero hindi naman siguro agad kakailanganin bumili ng parts at i-maintain every so often since bnew nga diba? Preferred kasi namin ung Honda City 1.3A M/T or Toyota Vios 1.3E M/T since di sila nagkakalayo ng price. Yun nga lang, mas maganda lang talaga porma ng Honda, both are fuel efficient naman pero mas mura at tipid daw i-maintain ang Toyota..so which is which?

9. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    If you are concerned too much about maintenance cost. Then my educated opinion is go for the Vios. However, you should test drive muna pareho. Importante din na gusto mo yung minamaneho mo because you will use it for the next 3-5 years. At least now we narrowed down your choice to two and I believe you can't go wrong with either way.

Also, consider the resale value. I'm sure this will not be your last car. Honda is indeed pricey to maintain (PMS, etc) but it commands better resale value than most Vios, if that is important to you then consider it as a factor as well.

BTW i need to correct myself with the safety features. The Honda City you are aiming for (1.3A MT) does not have airbags only models 1.3S and up have dual airbags based on the website. The vios you are aiming for on the other hand has driver only airbags. That may be a deal breaker for you if safety features is very important.

For your reference go to http://www.citychangetherules.com/ and click on Full Specifications

and for Vios
    http://www.toyota.com.ph/cars/new_ca.../fullspecs.asp
    click on the E variant in the dropdown and click Full Specs

10. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Since you have the budget ... get the brand new. You will not know what are the things that should be replaced in the 2nd hand vehicles. And, since you / your mom can handle the misc. fees, go for it. No doubts.

Yes. You are correct. Honda's maintenance and parts cost is much higher than of toyota's. You need to maintain your car every 10k kms -> Honda vs. 5k kms -> Toyota ( correct me if i`m wrong guys, but that's what I remember ) to have it in it's best condition.

City A vs. Vios E. It's looks vs. features.

City A has no great features slapped on it. Hubcaps, 1-din car stereo, no keyless entry, no foglamps, power windows/central lock

Vios E has BETTER features ... Power windows/central lock, alloy rims ( 14" ), this vios also doesn't carry OEM foglamps but atleast it has a place ready on where it should be placed on in case you'd prefer to have a pair. , stereo is the same with the higher variants.

There's nothing great about the Honda City A, frankly. The things that made the city copetitive over the vios is, the plastics are more intact inside, when I visited TYT's and Honda's showrooms ... I noticed that the City's trunk space is larger and so does it's engine bay. The mentality of most filipinos have -> " Honda is cool because it can't be used as a taxi " <- fail. The more people use the vehicle, the more you can assure that it is really a trustworthy vehicle. It's not that I am saying that the city isn't trustworthy, it's just that the price vs. features.

AFAIK, the city is still, more expensive despite it's lack of features that the vios has already have.

By the way. If you ever decide on getting one and you got dinged by someone. PLEASE! do not copy the poster in which he blamed a SPORTIVO for scratching his BRAND NEW VEHICLE and... PLEASE don't ever describe the car which might have dinged your brand new vehicle as SLOW, UNSAFE, SMOKE-BELCHER and the like.

It's part of owning one.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
2nd hand or bnew car for newbies? pls help.