New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Hello, everyone.

Hoping to hear your opinion on this matter. We are in the market for a used SUV/CUV, 2016 year model and up. Budget is 900k.
    Intended to be used as a family hauler /daily driver -around 4x a week commute. Mostly city driving. Planning to keep it for 5 years or more. Main focus are reliability and ease of maintenance.

Narrowed down our options to the following:
    2016 Everest -is it true that Ford is not reliable? I've been around Japanese cars all my life, I have this thinking that American brands are difficult to maintain and get parts for, is that true?
    2016 CX5 -Is it easy to get parts outside casa? Mazda is known for it's reliability, but I have zero experience with Mazda
    2016 CRV -This is actually on top of our list. Resell value is unmatched.

Special mentions:
    Subaru XV -interior is superb. AWD system is one of the best in the world! but parts can be expensive. also no experience with Subaru, so...
    Forester -I've heard there was a world wide recall for valve springs? This was actually one of my top choice kasi mas mura sa Honda
    Rav4 -Just don't like how it looks. lol.
    Fortuner -We have a 2011 model. Pass muna siguro, unless new look (2016) -outside budget

I'd value your inputs. Looking forward to hear from you all!

Stay healthy and safe.
    Cheers!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    The Everest is made in thailand/vietnam. Its not american. It was heavily developed in australia for asian markets and nearby. 2.2 engine is not too strong so the 6sp automatic transmission isnt bad. Suspension and steering do not have too many complaints.

Majority of complaints: lugs nuts, climate contol valve and the door handle.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    If CRV is your top choice, would recommend to look deeper into the Forester especially the XT.

Outstanding power and handling, comfy space for 5, good visibility all around, and go-anywhere AWD.

Good partner to your Fortuner. One is a rugged but crude PPV, the other a softer but more refined CUV.

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

4. Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by StockEngine View Post
    The Everest is made in thailand/vietnam. Its not american. It was heavily developed in australia for asian markets and nearby. 2.2 engine is not too strong so the 6sp automatic transmission isnt bad. Suspension and steering do not have too many complaints.

Majority of complaints: lugs nuts, climate contol valve and the door handle.
    Sorry, I meant American company/ brand and not made in America.

Kung yun lang ang major complaints, okay pala.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    If CRV is your top choice, would recommend to look deeper into the Forester especially the XT.

Outstanding power and handling, comfy space for 5, good visibility all around, and go-anywhere AWD.

Good partner to your Fortuner. One is a rugged but crude PPV, the other a softer but more refined CUV.

Thank you sir! Is it difficult to find wear and tear parts for FXT?

6. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by EchoAlphaDelta View Post
    Sorry, I meant American company/ brand and not made in America.

Kung yun lang ang major complaints, okay pala.
    also there is Everest Garage on FB, he specializes on this vehicle. Makes maintenance extra easy ...

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post

+1 with Jut on the Forester XT. The uncle of my wife just bought a used 2015 Forester XT for a low price. He is so happy with his purchase. When I talked to him, he keeps raving about how well it drives. He came from driving a Corolla and an Innova.

You can get a used 2013-2016 Forester XT nowadays between 600k to 900k. Just make sure you get one with a detailed maintenance history.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by EchoAlphaDelta View Post
    Thank you sir! Is it difficult to find wear and tear parts for FXT?
    The Forester XT shares the same engine and tranny as the WRX CVT and Levorg 2.0 GT-S. Its body and frame is same with the non turbo Forester. Consumeables (air filter, cabin filter, oil filter, brake pads) are the same across all Subaru models and can be bought from Lazada or Shopee. Fluids (oil, coolant, brake fluid, CVTF) are also available online.

Unless you have a broken engine or turbo or tranny, most other wear and tear parts are easily accessible. No need to bring to casa for PMS as there are specialty auto shops that cater to Subaru vehicles at an affordable price.

My 2016 FXT is at 50k km already. The only things I replaced are the front lower arm bushings. The rest are the usual consumeables - fluids, filters, brake pads, and tires.

By the way, it’s capable also for light off-roading. I have driven it thru mud where jeepneys and light trucks couldn’t cross (Kennon road) and brought it to loose gravel paths in Baler. Road clearance is better than most CUVs and the same as PPVs, but handles like a big & tall sedan.

Last edited by Egan101; October 31st, 2020 at 12:09 PM.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    For space and comfort sa crv and forester...

Sa looks and comfort sa cx5...

Reliabilty all depends sa owner...

Interior subjective pero mas gusto ko si cx5... (bias)....

If Safety sa top trim, ill go for cx-5....(bias)...

Since you are getting it for family use, ill choise between crv and forester...

If bachelor ka like me, cx5 all the way... kodo zoom zoom... hehehe...

Goodluck!!!

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Everest, do not get the 3.2 4x4 models. Why? The 2.2 has 160 hp hauling 2 tons, the 3.2 has 200 hp hauling 2.5 tons. The 25% increase in power of the 3.2 is negated by the 25% increase in weight. Unless you really need a 4x4, but there are better 4x4 than the everest. One more thing, the 2.2 is actually more spritely than the 3.2. And no turbo problems, unlike the 3.2 engine which had plenty of turbo problems when they first came out in the rangers. I know, i had a 2013 bt50 3.2 (exactly the same monster in different clothing). They did solve the problem in 2015 with a newly designed turbo.

I sold my 3.2 everest two years ago. Transmission shift shock was getting worse. Malas lang talaga siguro ako but then, it is a ford.

Mazda cx5, I've heard first hand horror stories about the citystop from real owners at the casa, crying because of the shitty citystop feature. Special battery cost 18k which they had to replace every 6 months or so. Most of them had the citystop disabled. There were also problems of 2 vehicles suddenly stopping and not wanting to start again, and the owners told me their vehicles had been in and out of the casa and the problems had something to do with the tranny. Kausap ko mismo yung mga owners so anyone here who says there are no problems then they probably read that from some motoring tabloid ad.
    Last edited by yebo; October 31st, 2020 at 01:58 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast