New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Considering buying secondhand, which would be a better buy here? If say, at 400k, with 20-50k between them? For a family of 4-5. For use maybe 2-3 times a week.

Based on looks tho, I'd go Civic>Focus>Corolla Altis.

Can you give me an advice with regards to this, and what would be the pros and cons. Specially of each year and model. Also about fuel efficiency, comfort, maintenance(price of parts, ease of repair, etc).

Thank you very much!

2. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jokwa114 View Post
    Considering buying secondhand, which would be a better buy here? If say, at 400k, with 20-50k between them? For a family of 4-5. For use maybe 2-3 times a week.

Based on looks tho, I'd go Civic>Focus>Corolla Altis.

Can you give me an advice with regards to this, and what would be the pros and cons. Specially of each year and model. Also about fuel efficiency, comfort, maintenance(price of parts, ease of repair, etc).

Thank you very much!
    the altis is the most plentiful. i translate that to, easier and cheaper to fix. also, there is the legend of toyota quality and longevity, if you believe that.
    but you should try it out, sir. some folks find the older altis, cramped inside.
    Last edited by dr. d; September 28th, 2017 at 11:46 AM.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Despite being the porkiest among the three, the Focus Sport will still be the sportiest to drive. Its 2.0L engine is also quite powerful as its output is more similar to the 2.4L-2.5L NA engines of midsize cars.

However, the Focus feels cramped compared to the Civic FB and Altis gen 10.5. Also, just make sure that the DCT tranny of the Focus is in good shape with no recorded history of failure.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    the altis is the most plentiful. i translate that to, easier and cheaper to fix. also, there is the legend of toyota quality and longevity, if you believe that.
    but you should try it out, sir. some folks find the older altis, cramped inside.
    Is the "reliability" by Toyota really miles ahead than that of Honda? I'm asking because I'm not really sure.

I understand compared to Ford maybe, but is it really advantageous compared to owning a Honda?

I was actually planning on buying a second hand 2006 Civic, they were at around 250k. And then I saw the deals with the 2013 Civic and Altis, and they cost around 400k give or take. So I started thinking that maybe that <150K difference would be worth it for a relatively more "recent" car than the 2006 Civic.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    ^^^ The Civic FB (2012-2015) rides softer than the Civic FD (2006-2011). The Civic FB is geared more towards comfort while the Civic FD was sportier. Some would say the Civic FB was more like an Altis than the Civic FD.

The 1.8L engine is shared between generations, as well as the current Civic. Fuel efficiency will be the same among models and generations with a similar engine.

When buying second hand, it is important to know the maintenance history of the vehicle. Any vehicle not maintained properly will surely be prone to failure, whatever its brand is.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Avoid the Focus like a plague - everyone I know who owns one has encountered transmission issues which are really really expensive to fix. One friend's quote for the repairs of his 2013 Focus reached 678k. 😂

That 170 hp 2-liter engine is useless if the car is so expensive to maintain and breaks down all the time anyway.

I would suggest a late-model FD Civic - either 2010 or 2011. These have the facelifted front and rear which look much better than the pre-facelift Civics. Much more fun to drive too compared to the 2012-2015 FB Civic. Comes with paddle shifters too.

If you want the FB Civic, get the 1.8 EXi which wad from Japan - it comes with bluetooth, cruise control, and a backup camera already, compared to the Thailand made 1.8E which had none of those until the 2015 facelift.

I've had both Civics and Altises and the Civics aren't any less reliable. Parts are still cheaper for Toyota when it comes to Banawe stores but it shouldn't be a dealbreaker. The FD and FB Civic are much better cars than the 10th gen Altis.

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

7. Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    Avoid the Focus like a plague - everyone I know who owns one has encountered transmission issues which are really really expensive to fix. One friend's quote for the repairs of his 2013 Focus reached 678k. 😂

That 170 hp 2-liter engine is useless if the car is so expensive to maintain and breaks down all the time anyway.

I would suggest a late-model FD Civic - either 2010 or 2011. These have the facelifted front and rear which look much better than the pre-facelift Civics. Much more fun to drive too compared to the 2012-2015 FB Civic. Comes with paddle shifters too.

If you want the FB Civic, get the 1.8 EXi which wad from Japan - it comes with bluetooth, cruise control, and a backup camera already, compared to the Thailand made 1.8E which had none of those until the 2015 facelift.

I've had both Civics and Altises and the Civics aren't any less reliable. Parts are still cheaper for Toyota when it comes to Banawe stores but it shouldn't be a dealbreaker. The FD and FB Civic are much better cars than the 10th gen Altis.

If given the option for a 2010 Civic (90k mileage) AT vs a 2013 Civic (60k mileage) MT, for the same price, 380k ballpark price, what would you choose sir?

8. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    If given the option for a 2010 Civic (90k mileage) AT vs a 2013 Civic (60k mileage) MT, for the same price, 380k ballpark price, what would you choose sir?
    The newer one of course, assuming same price. But generally FB Civics are more expensive than FD Civics. You might want to check why that 2013 FB is selling at the same price as the older, higher mileage 2010 FD Civic. My friend recently sold his 2012 FB 1.8 EXi for 445k.

The AT vs MT thing is also something you have to decide on. Many people would never buy a manual car, and with good reason considering the horrendous traffic in Manila.

If I were in the market now for a used sedan, I'd get a 2009-2011 FD Civic 1.8S that's in good condition.

Last edited by jut703; September 28th, 2017 at 03:43 PM.

9. Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    The newer one of course, assuming same price. But generally FB Civics are more expensive than FD Civics. You might want to check why that 2013 FB is selling at the same price as the older, higher mileage 2010 FD Civic. My friend recently sold his 2012 FB 1.8 EXi for 445k.

The AT vs MT thing is also something you have to decide on. Many people would never buy a manual car, and with good reason considering the horrendous traffic in Manila.

If I were in the market now for a used sedan, I'd get a 2009-2011 FD Civic 1.8S that's in good condition.

I'm really sorry, what I said may have been misleading. Searching at OLX, I could see 2010 Civics going for 330k-380k some V, some S. The 2013 Civic on the other hand is around 390K.

EDIT:

Also, the car would be used in the province with traffic conditions not as bad as that of Metro Manila. And some occasional hatid-sundo at the airport.

10. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    I'm really sorry, what I said may have been misleading. Searching at OLX, I could see 2010 Civics going for 330k-380k some V, some S. The 2013 Civic on the other hand is around 390K.

EDIT:

Also, the car would be used in the province with traffic conditions not as bad as that of Metro Manila. And some occasional hatid-sundo at the airport.
    Average posting price for a 2013 Civic is still above 500k:

If that 390k 2013 Civic is legit and is in good condition, then it's a bargain.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast