New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Hi again sirs!!

My mom's colleague is offering me his 2003 Ford Lynx (I don't know if it's ghia or GSi but I'm sure it's the 1.3 variant). Also, an acquaintance of mine is selling me his 95 Civic ESi, as I have posted in another thread. The question is.....

Ford Lynx has 119T kms on its odometer, while the Civic has ONLY 55T kms (I'm really not sure if this is a case of tampering or not, I have yet to see this unit.)

What's the better unit? A NEWER model with MORE mileage, or an OLDER unit with LESS mileage?

Please help me make a decision!!!! TIA!!

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Whichever is better is whichever is in better condition.

You'll have to inspect the ESi ve-e-e-ery carefully for rust and body damage, as well as odometer tampering. Danger points for rust include the rear fenders and the roofline, but on a 15 year old car, inspect everything.

The Lynx... it'll depend on what condition it's in. 100k+ is not a lot if that is highway kilometers, but if it's city kilometers, I'd want to know if the car was maintained religiously and whether the engine and engine oil seem all right.

If you can get the owner to tell you what electronics have been repaired or replaced, better still. Older 1.6s were notorious for burning out cam position sensors, but the 1.3 is distributor-driven, not direct ignition, so it doesn't have all the same sensors. And the facelifted editions (RS-look) have better electronics than the first Lynxes.

The 1.3 is the LSi. The Ghia and GSi weren't offered in 1.3 form. Won't be as punchy as the ESi, and won't have power windows, but it has much more interior space, drives better and would be more practical, as long as it's in good condition.

By the way... what's the price for each? I'd hesitate to pay more than 125k for any 15 year old Honda... if you're comparing the two, stands to reason they're going for a similar price?
    Last edited by niky; February 24th, 2011 at 08:39 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    For me, I wouldn't buy either one. 119T kms on a 2003 model car is a tad too much. And a 1995 car is too old, even if you say it has only ran 55T kms. If I were you, I'd get something in between. Never mind if its older than 2003, or its mileage higher than 55T kms. The Civic ESi is very prone to rusting, and so even if it isn't rusty when it came to you, you'd have to give it lots of TLC so that it wouldn't rust anytime during your watch. And its engine is a pre-VTEC era engine, and I personally would not get a Honda car without VTEC. And as for the Lynx, IMHO the 85hp 1.3L engine would be underpowered for the heavy car. Which will mean poor performance AND poor fuel mileage.

What's your budget? Perhaps you would like to look for an "itlog" Lancer GLXi or an AE101 Corolla GLi instead?

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Ford Lynx LSi if it's the same price and same level of laspag.

But if the Civic looks more sariwa as in and the Lynx looks like a taxi, get the Civic.

55,000 sounds fishy for me for a 16yr old car. It may be tampered or not used for a couple of years due to accident or breaking down.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    For me, I wouldn't buy either one. 119T kms on a 2003 model car is a tad too much. And a 1995 car is too old, even if you say it has only ran 55T kms. If I were you, I'd get something in between. Never mind if its older than 2003, or its mileage higher than 55T kms. The Civic ESi is very prone to rusting, and so even if it isn't rusty when it came to you, you'd have to give it lots of TLC so that it wouldn't rust anytime during your watch. And its engine is a pre-VTEC era engine, and I personally would not get a Honda car without VTEC. And as for the Lynx, IMHO the 85hp 1.3L engine would be underpowered for the heavy car. Which will mean poor performance AND poor fuel mileage.

What's your budget? Perhaps you would like to look for an "itlog" Lancer GLXi or an AE101 Corolla GLi instead?
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Whichever is better is whichever is in better condition.

You'll have to inspect the ESi ve-e-e-ery carefully for rust and body damage, as well as odometer tampering. Danger points for rust include the rear fenders and the roofline, but on a 15 year old car, inspect everything.

The Lynx... it'll depend on what condition it's in. 100k+ is not a lot if that is highway kilometers, but if it's city kilometers, I'd want to know if the car was maintained religiously and whether the engine and engine oil seem all right.

If you can get the owner to tell you what electronics have been repaired or replaced, better still. Older 1.6s were notorious for burning out cam position sensors, but the 1.3 is distributor-driven, not direct ignition, so it doesn't have all the same sensors. And the facelifted editions (RS-look) have better electronics than the first Lynxes.

The 1.3 is the LSi. The Ghia and GSi weren't offered in 1.3 form. Won't be as punchy as the ESi, and won't have power windows, but it has much more interior space, drives better and would be more practical, as long as it's in good condition.

By the way... what's the price for each? I'd hesitate to pay more than 125k for any 15 year old Honda... if you're comparing the two, stands to reason they're going for a similar price?

* sir GTi - my budget is around 150 - 200k.. Personally, I would want a Nissan Series 4, but my dad and i can't find someone we knew or acquainted with who is selling one. We really want to buy from someone we know for safety purposes, that's why these are the only cars to choose from..

*sir Niky - btw, is this 1.3 variant already EFI? the price of the 95 Civic is * 160 - 170k (last price), while the Lynx is * 210k (last price). How about the maintenance of Lynx, is it more expensive than it's japanese counterparts? How about the abundance of OEM or surplus parts?

Thanks for replying guys! I'm quite at a crossroads and I don't know which path to take..

6. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by eljo3025 View Post
    Ford Lynx LSi if it's the same price and same level of laspag.

But if the Civic looks more sariwa as in and the Lynx looks like a taxi, get the Civic.

55,000 sounds fishy for me for a 16yr old car. It may be tampered or not used for a couple of years due to accident or breaking down.
    The Civic looks fresher because I think it's repainted or waxed, the lynx doesn't look like a taxi though because it's lady driven. The Civic owner said that his last price is 170k, and the lynx owner is set at 210k. I thought that if I add 40k, I'll get a newer model. But then again, the mileage aspect is causing me the dilemma because the lynx, although only 8 years of age, is at 119T kms already, while the Civic is only at 55T kms (yes i know this is quite fishy..)

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Hard to get LSi owners below 200k... "fuel efficient" kasi, that's why they sell high. It can be done, though. If you offer straight cash up front, most anyone will agree to a little discount.

Even if the Lynx is a big car, the 1.3 liter engine gives you decent fuel economy in traffic thanks to its short gearing and the fact that it's already EFI. And as it's the lightest of the Lynxes, it handles great.

Don't expect maintenance parts to be as cheap as a 90's car, though. But it's not horribly expensive to maintain... I'd say at par with any 2000+ compact car.

-

For under 200k, you have a wide variety of Nissans to pick from, also. Very hard to get anything 2000+ from Honda or Toyota in that price range, though.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

8. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Hard to get LSi owners below 200k... "fuel efficient" kasi, that's why they sell high. It can be done, though. If you offer straight cash up front, most anyone will agree to a little discount.

Even if the Lynx is a big car, the 1.3 liter engine gives you decent fuel economy in traffic thanks to its short gearing and the fact that it's already EFI. And as it's the lightest of the Lynxes, it handles great.

Don't expect maintenance parts to be as cheap as a 90's car, though. But it's not horribly expensive to maintain... I'd say at par with any 2000+ compact car.

-

For under 200k, you have a wide variety of Nissans to pick from, also. Very hard to get anything 2000+ from Honda or Toyota in that price range, though.
    How about the abundance of OEM or suplus engine parts, exteriors and such? Ford Lynx is not that common on the roads so I don't know where the surplus parts will come from..

9. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Personally, for this budget I would prefer to get something that gives me some more performance and is not as barebones. Are there really no other choices? The mileage of the Lynx is just too high. And the ESi is just too old.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    Personally, for this budget I would prefer to get something that gives me some more performance and is not as barebones. Are there really no other choices? The mileage of the Lynx is just too high. And the ESi is just too old.

What do you mean by "barebones?" And can you please elaborate on the performance issue? Would you mind giving me other options sir? For now, these are the only two cars offered by someone we know. Sorry if I have trust issues when dealing with these kind of transactions hehehe! I don't really care much about the looks,so it isn't my priority. I just want my first ride to be presentable, fuel efficient, and reliable.

Based on what I have read in the forums, the Lynx sounds reliable to me, and the LSi variant is quite famous for its fuel effiency/

Your opinion really counts and I appreciate your inputs. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
2003 Ford Lynx vs. 95 Civic ESi Help!!