New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2014
    hi mga master, am considering getting alternative go-to ride: (quick neighborhood/mall+grocery/school runs/addl. anti-8pm or pupunta sa pasig coding car/work commute ni mrs./etc). sedans 2005 up pre-facelift models in the < 300k range, but of course less is more in this case...no subcompacts & no altis/vios/yaris (too many yota on the road, iba naman) japanese makes only, AT only, FC not much an issue.
    appreciate your inputs on the ff. candidates pls.
    a) lancer cedia
    b) mazda 3 (hatch preferably)
    c) sentra GT180 or GSX1.6
    d) civic vtec3 pre-FD

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Either the Mazda3 or Civic ES (7th gen) with the 2.0L engine. These have better features compared to their lower trim 1.6L variants. There is not much difference in fuel consumption between 1.6L and 2.0L engines for both cars but you have more power/torque with the 2.0L engine. The Mazda3 hatchback model of that era only had the 1.6L engine so opt for the sedan.

The Sentra N16 (GT180 or GS or GSX) is a dependable car though not as sporty in terms of handling against the Mazda3 or Civic ES. The design is also quite conservative in terms of looks. It offers though quite a comfortable ride, more like a smaller version of the Nissan Cefiro.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    So this will be your secondary car. No problem with fuel consumption due to seldom/short distance use. Perhaps you'd consider a midsize sedan. A mid 2000s 2.0 or 2.4 Camry or Accord will fit your budget. Quality is top notch and performance is definitely far off from a 1.6L compact.

Among your choices I'd go for the Honda 2.0. Nice, fast car. No problem with parts too.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

4. Join Date
    Aug 2014
    thanks sir, well noted. any feedback for the lancer cedia? the last such models were being sold along with the EX when it first came out.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    I was in your shoes a year ago and I went with the Mazda 3 2.0.

Don't get the Mazda 3 hatch - 1.6 is slow and fuel efficiency is the same for the 1.6 and 2.0 (around 6 km/L in city traffic). At least the 2.0 is pretty fast.

Among all cars in your price range, the Mazda 3 easily has the best handling. Lots of features too - moon roof, leather seats, steering wheel audio controls, auto climate control, HID, automatic headlamps, rain-sensing wipers, 17" rims, and so on.

It looks timeless - similarly-aged sedans like the 9th gen Altis and Lancer Cedia look really old while the Mazda 3 is still attractive.

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

6. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Never driven one. But from what I've read here, the Cedia isn't really a well recommended car. FC is horrendous, engine performance so-so... Ride quality seem to be good though. I wouldn't recommend that if there we're other choices available for the same price bracket.

What I can recommend though is the 7th gen Accord. We have one, bought brand new by my lolo in 2005 and was his daily driver till his death just last year. The car has ran 105tkms now with minimal fuss. All A/C parts are still original, suspension arms, tie rods and ball joints we're replaced last year IIRC. The A/T shifter button broke and the driver side power window motor gave way a couple of years ago. But that's about it. Leather interior has stood the test of time. Seats are almost as they we're when newly bought. I have to say that this car was never babied, runs from Timog area QC to industrial district in Valenzuela, where the road conditions are bordering on rivaling an off road course, on a daily basis.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2014
    *GTi, the 2007+ camrys go above budget but are also under consideration. the '06s look much dated because of the grill/bumper. thanks for the heads-up sir, definitely a classy choice!

8. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Honestly, I find the 2003-2007 Camry to be a classy and timeless car. The lines remind me of the Merc S-Class. A pristine black unit with 17 or 18 inchers would definitely still turn heads. Though it probably screams "dad's car" from a mile a way. 😂 The same-era Accord was much more youthful. If you really do not care about FC, you can even consider the 3.0V6 variants. Price is practically the same. We used to have a 2004 Accord V6. 0-100 in 7 seconds!

9. Join Date
    Aug 2014
    *jut703: very nice 3 you've got there, yes the 3 aged very well - i've driven one long ago & the wife likes the hatch hehe

10. Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    Honestly, I find the 2003-2007 Camry to be a classy and timeless car. The lines remind me of the Merc S-Class. A pristine black unit with 17 or 18 inchers would definitely still turn heads. Though it probably screams "dad's car" from a mile a way. 😂 The same-era Accord was much more youthful. If you really do not care about FC, you can even consider the 3.0V6 variants. Price is practically the same. We used to have a 2004 Accord V6. 0-100 in 7 seconds!

i have graying hair and a beard, so a dad/mom car is fine haha - right now we've got an SUV + an MPV so a sedan or compact will slot in nicely. thanks again

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast