New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    I'm planning to buy a 2nd hand car by december 2011. ang estimated budget ay 150k

here are my choices

1. Nissan Sentra Series 3
    2. Honda Civic ESi
    3. Toyota Corolla (Small or Big Body)
    4. Mitsubishi Lancer (Itlog)
    5. Nissan Cefiro

alin kaya sa lima ang masasabing "sulit" although alam kong kailangan e-consider ang mileage at kung paano na maintain yung oto, pero kung walang problema yang tatlo. alin ang ok bilhin in terms of performance, maintenance at fuel efficiency?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Aero13; August 11th, 2011 at 09:25 AM. Reason: added vehicles

2. Join Date
    May 2010
    My suggestion is mangipon ipon pa since December ka pa bibili. Here is my take on your choices

1. Nissan Sentra Series 3 - Sulit na sulit itong sasakyan given the low resale value of Nissans locally. Ok naman performance, maintenance, at fuel efficiency. Suggest ko to go with the Super Saloon variant.

2. Honda Civic ESi - The oldest in the batch. Won't recommend this one due to age, limited parts availability, and rusting issues.

3. Toyota Corolla (Big Body) - Madami ito sa used car market. My only advice is to check out the unit carefully. Avoid modified units, and ex taxi variants. I suggest the GLi Variant.

4. Mitsubishi Lancer (Itlog) - A lot of this vehicle exist in the used car market. Ok naman pero check out for the underbushings, worn out suspensions are common problems among Lancers.

5. Nissan Cefiro - Luxury for less?? Yes, may dating pa ito hanggang ngayon. But fuel efficiency is it's weakest point since V6 powered ito pero marami tong parts sa Banawe at Evangelista at Superb Performance.

I suggest to add the Ford Lynx sa list and ipon ipon pa....

HAPPY SHOPPING!

3. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Chief Aero13,

I'd definitely go with the Corolla GLI. Easier to maintain, abundant spare parts and efficient too. Next pick would be the Sentra, followed by the Lancer itlog and last is the Cefiro. Though the Cefiro tops in the performance category, I would say it may be your last choice since your purpose is a second car, which of course would be something efficient and easier to maintain.

Thanks!

Thank you so much for the detailed comparisons sir.

mukhang Nissan Sentra Series 3 ang pinaka maganda sa 5 choices ko. to be honest, i am also leaning towards the Sentra. maganda din kasi ang loob at hindi siya yung matanda among the other choices i have.. at marami pakong nakikitang magaganda ang porma sa Sentra na ito.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    magaganda ang choices mo.
    heto pasok sa budget mo, Mitsubishi Lancer GLi '93 ng friend ko, baka magustuhan mo?
    93 Mitsubishi Lancer Gli Philippines - 3773994

6. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Aero13 View Post
    I'm planning to buy a 2nd hand car by december 2011. ang estimated budget ay 150k

here are my choices

1. Nissan Sentra Series 3
    2. Honda Civic ESi
    3. Toyota Corolla (Small or Big Body)
    4. Mitsubishi Lancer (Itlog)
    5. Nissan Cefiro

alin kaya sa lima ang masasabing "sulit" although alam kong kailangan e-consider ang mileage at kung paano na maintain yung oto, pero kung walang problema yang tatlo. alin ang ok bilhin in terms of performance, maintenance at fuel efficiency?

Thanks.
    1. Nissan Sentra- Best bet for me. You can get the newest car for your 150k if you buy this one. If you look hard enough and haggle well enough you should be able to find even 1999-2000 units. There's the great GA16 engine, and Nissan's trademark blizzard aircon too.
    2. Honda Civic ESi- Nope. Too old, engine's nothing special without VTEC, and parts and maintenance are more expensive.
    3. Toyota Corolla- This one is a good, safe and solid choice. But then, you would only be able to get very old units for 150k...
    4. Mitsubishi Lancer- The Itlog Lancer is an excellent choice as well and there are lots of it within your budget. But then I find this to be only second to the Sentra since it was only produced and sold until early 1997.
    5. Nissan Cefiro- If you do not mind the fuel mileage, this is, of course, the best car among your choices. Being a class above, the space, ride, amenities and performance are all a notch higher, but take note that fuel mileage and maintenance are also a notch higher. If you do get this one, aim for the manual variant for better performance and fuel efficiency.

Choose wisely!

7. Join Date
    May 2004
    Im torn between

Series 3 SS sentra... Maganda performance, Porma, suspension pero common problem is sa TB mga sensor..

Mitsubishi Lancer Glxi.. Maganda Performance, porma common problem suspension and Servo(Pero pwede pa convert to Toyota Sensor)

Kung ako pipili cguro Sentra S4 na Ex saloon or Lancer Gli

Sentra s4 EX saloon - 1.4 engine tipid sa Gas, Power window na... common issue with SS Sentra.

Lancer gli - 1.5 engine tipid rin sa Gas pero hindi pa all power... Common issue same as Glxi.

ang advantage for me ng Sentra is yung interior nila simple at malinis... walng kaartehan yung dash board... although masikip siya sa back passenger..

Advice lang... always check yung lagayan ng spare tire... engine oil and radiator coolant(dapat before starting or malamig pa engine)...

yung other options mo
    ESI - too old and Rust issue sa bubong and c pillar
    Corolla Gli - Rust issue sa rear wheel well(tama ba?) pero kung may sariwa pwede na rin
    Cefiro - Malakas sa Gas and may kamahalan yung parts.

*zero

will check the car din sir. pero by december pa. im still waiting for my money pa po.

*GTi
    mukhang sentra ulit ang vote for this post. i'm also leaning towards the Sentra. and so far based sa mga posts nyo the Sentra would give me less headache ..

Thanks din sa post mo. ang dami talagang matutulungin dito sa tsikot!

Thanks all for your posts

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Yung P150k mo ba nakahiwalay na yung pagpapa-gawa ng mabibili mong sasakyan? If hindi pa, parang mas maganda yata bumili ng P120k na sasakyan then the rest ng budget to keep the car road-worthy.

Kung sa maintenance lang, madaling i-maintain Toyota and Mitsubishi since palasak spare parts nya and almost lahat ng mekaniko sa kanto kanto familiar sa makina nila. Medyo mahina lang a/c nila as compared to Honda ESi and Nissan Sentras.

Honda ESi models naman abundant ang performance aftermarket parts. Medyo may edad na nga lang sya at may kamahalan ang maintenance but kung mahilig kang mag-upgrade and malalim ang bulsa mo, then this car is for you.

Kung sa fuel efficiency naman, ok din yung Sentra EX Saloon na 1.4L since EFI na sya. Carb pa kasi yung FE model na 1.3L. I've owned a Nissan before and the only bright spot was the a/c. Suspension and engine, even though casa maintained sya, was a disappointment.

Galing kasi ako sa brand na talaga namang pahirapang maghanap ng parts kaya ang hanap ko ngayon is availability at ease of maintenance kaya admittedly medyo leaning ako on both the Toyota GLi and Lancer GLXi. Kung hindi naman problema sayo ang presyo ng gas, maganda rin ang creature-comforts na available sa Cefiro.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Get the Sentra Series 3. Make sure it's the super saloon one so everything is all-powered.

If not, get the ESi, just make sure to get a stock one. Tendency is most of the EGs in the used car markets are modded heavily because it is used in drag racing.

BTW, what's your plan with the car? IMO, if you're only keeping it for a year or two, get the ESi because after two years, its resale value will still be good. You might sell it for how much you bought it granted you maintained it properly. Make sure you won't mod it if you get a stock one because most used cars enthusiast prefers stock ones.

HTH.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
150k budget 2nd hand car