New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    when do i need to upgrade the alternator,battery and wires?
    at what point do i need to upgrade them to avoid dimming?
    like when my system runs at 2000rms total, at that i need to upgrade it?
    help much appreciated.

2. Join Date
    May 2007
    Look at the charge wire from your alternator. Do you think it can supply all current to the battery? It can't. This is why the Big3 is so important. Pare, mukhang seryoso ka sa sound ha!

My car has a 105amp factory alternator. The factory charge wire was like 16g. There is NO WAY that 105amps of current can flow through 16g wire. The ground wiring must be the same size as the upgraded charge wire. It's pointless to upgrade the charge wire without upgrading the grounds.
    Before I did the Big3, the charge wire started turning brown (it was getting too hot) and my alternator was about to fail -as well as dimming headlights.

Here is a great tutorial on how to do the Big3 upgrade. It will better answer your question;
    http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/foru...

With over 2000watts RMS of power, the Big3 is the least of your concern. You'll NEED to upgrade to a HO (high-output) alternator. They are very pricey, but since you've got 2000watts of power, I doubt that is a problem for you on how to bring or get the largest-amperage HO alternator you can afford. Kaya ngayon palang maghanap ka na ng high output alternator.

*Remember, manufacturers of HO alternators REQURE that the Big3 is done, otherwise they won't honor the waranty. Kaya follow all the recommended wiring.

Here's the hints, if your total system power is 1000 watts RMS or more, you will need to:

1. Upgrade the alternator to a high output alternator
    2. Upgrade to a heavy duty deep cycle battery
    3. Upgrade the "Big 3" - that is to replace the power wire between the battery and alternator, the ground from the battery to the chassis and the ground strap from the engine/tranny to the chassis with at least 1/0 AWG wire.

Good luck sa project.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by v6dreamer View Post
    3. Upgrade the "Big 3" - that is to replace the power wire between the battery and alternator, the ground from the battery to the chassis and the ground strap from the engine/tranny to the chassis with at least 1/0 AWG wire.
    Interesting! Ito lang pala ang "big 3." Was wondering which wires needed upgrading.

Thanks for the info bro

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    IMO, walang right time para kung kelan mag upgrade ng BIG 3. upgrade ka na lang and you'll get a lot of benefits from it. parang grounding kit din siya pero pati alternator to positive is inupgrade mo.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    big 3 and grounding kits work well with cars 10 yrs or more, ive read. also if you got sounds that will cause a heavy load.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    buy a plugin voltmeter, to see how much voltage drop you are getting.

when do i need to upgrade the big 3?