New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    First off, ingat sa sulit.com.ph. There are a TON of fake Focals there But damn, it's getting harder and harder to discern them.

(Example: http://www.sulit.com.ph/index.php/vi...eds/id/3306382)

If not for the 8k price tag, even I can't tell if it's real. Unless you "feel" the cone, dapat mas-coarse yun original than the fakes.

Anyway,

I'll give a budget of 50k preferably. Preference is into SQ. Ears are very meticulous. Hell, my iPod has an portable amp for use and IEMs are Head-Direct re0s and re-zeros (I recommend these 100% if you're looking for earbuds. Costs like $79 via Paypal and is near UE Triple.Fi and Shure's SE530 in clarity only thing missing is the soundstage). Installation is on a Sonata Premium once I get my hands into it. Void na agad electrical wala pang 1k PMS lol! There's an external 400W amp AFAIK but I wouldn't hope too much on it.

Personally, I'll go for something like this (prices are taken from "big" companies so are expensive.. magpapagawa nalang ako sa C3 Banawe para mura )

BACONATOR MEAL

Focal 165KR (24k) - is here out of pure love for it
    JL Audio W1v2 Series (7.5k) -> I find JL Audio very good in SQ. Same parent company as Kickers and MTX. 10" since 12" would be too slow.
    Subwoofer Box (2.5k?)
    RF Prime Monoblock 500W (10.5k) - for subwoofer (IMO, overkill. Dunno if my brother's 2x Xtant 2140's still alive. I could just bridge them * 2Ohms for 300W of power)
    Powerbass ASA600.4x (10.5k) - for the speakers. I am hearing good reviews regarding it and the appearance is very sleek.
    Wiring (5k)

Total: 60k

Another alternative I'm eyeing is to replace the two amps with a DLS CA51. But I believe underpowered sila.

Any feedback regarding Focal subwoofers? Di sila well-known for making good subwoofers kasi eh.

DOUBLE CHEESEBURGER MEAL
    , I might go for:
    DLS UP6i (16.5k)
    JL Audio W1v2 Series (7.5k)
    DLS CA51 (21k)
    Box & Wiring (7.5k)

Total: 52.5k

CHEESEBURGER MEAL (thanks for tsikotshop for tips)
    Focal Access 165A1 [tama ba serial? forgot ko na eh] (9.2k) - didn't go polk here since Focal Access lineup is the BEST in this category bar none.
    DB 1240 DVC 12" (5.5k)
    Powerbass ASA600.4x (10.5k)
    Box and Wiring (7.5k)

Total: 32.7k

So, anu mga suggestions niyo?

I'm wondering kung kukuha pa kaya ako 12" sub or just stick with 10 inches. Not a fan of bass to begin with. I just them to be fast and tight (like my re0s). 12 inchers would give better bass depth at expense of response.. hmm.. worth it kaya?

I'll also check kung ayos pa ba yun RF 500W 2-ch sub ng kuya ko. He used to power his polykevlars dito AFAIK.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Check out the Powerbass asa 1100.5. Its a 5 channel amp rated at:
    75X4 + 250 at 4 ohms
    150X4 + 500 at 2 ohms

last I asked it was going for around 15K

3. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Noted.

In the past, I used to go for dual amps since separate ko sila binibili but since bulk ito, I guess I can go for the 5ch amp use.

Any reviews for Powerbass products though? I think with their name they emphasize more on power.. Parang Rockford Fosgate.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Okay, setup after a bit of rummaging the basement yielded a workable (?) RF Punch 500a2 (2000) and a Audio Control EQX (2002). I'll just hope these are flood-free Although I'm 80% sure wasak na yun RF. I could use the EQX though.

ganda ng idea mo sir jhnkvn sa bago mong tsikot a, pero, never tell here about what head unit would you like to put in there, every soundman i think is start syempre dun sa head unit, never less than 4volt syempre, and a good 24bit DAC,
    your plan is to go on sound quality, so i guess, you have to tell our community what was your idea about it

For your amp sir, i go for the dual amp, some 5 channel amp are underpower even the old and known THE big five of DLS, these amp goes super hot for 4 hours playing in the street, and i hear few distortion and power losses, but it still play and not shut down, just when it goes hot, the music you play is like a sound of under power system.,

These system built last 2009 and since that is what happened, the owner decide to replace it last year,

Here is the replacement:

-Pioneer AVH4250-DVD
    -Focal 165 KRX3- front
    -Focal 165 KR- rear
    -rockford fosgate T600-4
    -rockford fosgate T1500-1bd
    -Rockford fosgate T210D2
    -tuned box ported *33hz (recomended volume)

Installed in ford focus.

I remind also to the sub of JL audio sir, many of them are fake unless you direct it from the supplier here, if you know them.
    Kicker L7 is good..
    A good choice for a 10" in a sealed box.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Actually, deciding on the HU is the most problematic factor here. First and foremost, planning to retain the stock oem hu of the Sonata. Sound quality would probably be compromised, but can't bring myself to replace the ***y unit. Fine tuning the settings would be handled by the AudioControl EQX.

What about external signal processors kaya? Kicker's too boomy normally for my taste but the alternative is a DLS sub.

The focals and JLs would be sourced from araneta car accessories. If not, mickeys (di sila price competitive kasi eh). As for the installation, plano ko sana sa c3 banawe. Long term fan here might consider doing the installation there sa tsikot shop though

7. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Also unearthed a used JL W3 12 inch subwoofer. However, wala na yun foam surrounds nito. Damn.. anybody knows where I can avail of subwoofer repairs? o kahit mga DIY foam surround kits?

8. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    You can try speaker doctor
    Benedict
    0921-7224138

I have not used his services but he posts in Kotse audio club.

Quote Originally Posted by jhnkvn View Post
    Actually, deciding on the HU is the most problematic factor here. First and foremost, planning to retain the stock oem hu of the Sonata. Sound quality would probably be compromised, but can't bring myself to replace the ***y unit. Fine tuning the settings would be handled by the AudioControl EQX.

What about external signal processors kaya? Kicker's too boomy normally for my taste but the alternative is a DLS sub.

The focals and JLs would be sourced from araneta car accessories. If not, mickeys (di sila price competitive kasi eh). As for the installation, plano ko sana sa c3 banawe. Long term fan here might consider doing the installation there sa tsikot shop though
    well, about processor, RF 360.2 is the best, there is one in banawe i think selling it for 20k(mahal pa rin) pm me if you want it sir, second hand, but, hindi kase marunung gumamit yung bumili e, kaya binalik dun sa seller, but its original, from rockford fosgate company, i think nandun pa yun. check it in the web what is 360.2.

for kickers, boomy talaga if your not following the specs, and underpower, but i tested it, its good if you know how to used it, all the things naman.

hindi rin kase ako satisfied sa performance ng mga bagong JL ngayun e, actually, dun lang ako nahirapan sa paggawa ng box, even i follow the specs, mas maganda pa ang ordinary sub.

a, sir about dun sa 5 channel amp ng powerbass, meron sila for 16k, parehas ng specs ng DLS 5 channel.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    *sigh* As expected, mukhang magextend budget ko nito iba talaga pagsounds eh, really get enthusiastic. Bah, worthwhile investment naman eh.

If I was going bonkers, naghahanap na ako ng SEAS. Haha..

So..

Final setup and choices is:
    OEM Sonata 2010 HU (free! yey!) - ***, dahil dito ang mahal ng upgrades ko tuloy would have gone Alpine CDA9887 if not.
    Audison BitOne (30k) - has better SQ than RF
    Rockford Fosgate 360.2 (20k) - has better manual tuning than Audison

Focal 165VR2 (18k) - good. Aggressive.
    Focal 165KR2 (32k) - a small upgrade from the past. Aggressive.
    Audison Voce 3-way (30k) - sawang-sawa na kasi sa Focals. Laid back.