New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    My HU is a Pioneer avh 1550. My sub is a 10 inch kicker comp vr dvc. I've think i have my equalizer settings nailed (thanks jhnkn ) now i need to tweak my subwoofer settings... currently I have my high pass filter at 80 hz, and have my subwoofer frequency at 80 hz (this can be tweaked from 50 hz-63hz-80hz-100hz and 125hz) aswell. For the output settings of my subwoofer, I have it at -5( this can be set from +6 to -24). When listening to music, I'm satisfied on how the bass guitar sounds and the overall "presence" of bass in songs. all im after now is more "punch" and "kick" on the bass drum.
    What do you guys think of my subwoofer settings?

Calling jhnkvn

2. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by extrarice311 View Post
    My HU is a Pioneer avh 1550. My sub is a 10 inch kicker comp vr dvc. I've think i have my equalizer settings nailed (thanks jhnkn ) now i need to tweak my subwoofer settings... currently I have my high pass filter at 80 hz, and have my subwoofer frequency at 80 hz (this can be tweaked from 50 hz-63hz-80hz-100hz and 125hz) aswell. For the output settings of my subwoofer, I have it at -5( this can be set from +6 to -24). When listening to music, I'm satisfied on how the bass guitar sounds and the overall "presence" of bass in songs. all im after now is more "punch" and "kick" on the bass drum.
    What do you guys think of my subwoofer settings?

Calling jhnkvn
    Getting a great "punch" and "kick" from a midbass is way harder. It's because most cars exhibit a general weakness for reproducing 50-80hz properly.. it's that sub-mid transition that's hard. The first thing to try is to increase your volume. This is because the "punch" in the stomach feeling is more of an attribute of your lungs and chest resonance. A bass drum punches around 40-220hz with majority of the punch being felt at 50hz. And to get it properly, you need to play loudly. It's that very reason why the punch in the gut feeling is easy in rock concerts or in clubs but hard-to-do-so in polite listening environments.

If the "general" bass seems overpowering, try lowering the volume and increasing your subwoofer level from -6 to X. X is the variable and it's up to you to decide what strikes a balance between your midbass and subwoofer. Try to get a good track for it that you're familiar with such as Eagles' Hotel California (Hell Freezes Over version). If you still find it's too "boomy", try a 63hz cutoff.. (didn't work?) then cut if off at 63hz and increase subwoofer level even more. Didn't work? Try to lessen the 80-200hz using the EQ as it might be overpowering the subwoofer. It didn't work? Try increasing your 40-60hz by a couple of decibels.

The general idea is to increase the 40-70hz. As "presence" of bass is more often perceived even higher up at a broad range of 60-220hz. Trying to quantify via instruments is hard because they cover a wide variety of octaves.. as such, a bass guitar can extend pretty low.. with some even touching 30hz. That's why experienced tuners use hertz (of the frequency spectrum) as a reference as we're more accustomed to it.

As you can see, tuning is hard to express if you simply type it it's really best to have it professionally tuned if you're not confident of your skills. But what I still recommend is to manually fiddle with it. Like I always stress - don't be afraid to play around with your toy.
    Last edited by jhnkvn; June 7th, 2013 at 01:41 AM.