New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    I plan to get a pair of 5 1/4 separates, 2-way - woofer & tweeter. I intend to place the woofer in the front doors. Where should I place the tweeters.

Some say it must be near the woofer (in the door also) in order for the sound to be "coherent". On the otherhand, some say, it would be better to place it on the dash in order for the "soundstage" to be high. Which is really better?

BTW, where do you guys usually place the passive cross-overs of front the speakers?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i have mine placed on the opposite side of where the side mirror is mounted. ok naman.

pero some recommend na sa dash nalang para may sound reflection sa windhield for better staging.

i think it really depends on the person. if it sounds better than the other, jan mo ipwesto.

just my 2 cents

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    depende rin sa oto yan kung pwede mo salpakan sa opposite side ng side mirror. kung hindi, mag momold ka niyan... di ko na masyado alam kung pano ginagawa un... pero ako, i prefer sa dash, sound reflection din un. and kung sa side mo nilagay, medyo nakakabingi for me, kasi nakatutok na ung tweets nun sa tenga mo.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2003
    imaging ata tawag nila jan. yun' tweeters ko na sa opposite side ng dash slightly angled facing windshield, ok naman sa pandinig ko.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    the best place in my experience (and in the opinion of the professional installers i've consulted in the past), is on the door right next to the mirrors or directly below them.

my preference for the x-over is secured inside the door in between the tweeter and the mid.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    for my car, dun sa pinaka sulok ng windshield nilagay nila mach2 yung tweets ko..woofers sa stock location..satisfied with the sound.
    Got Mazda?-http://www.MAZDAtech.org [SIZE="1"]est. 2000[/SIZE]
    got mazda 2? -> mazda2ners

7. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    the best location to place a tweeter is the point where the longest pathlengh from each speaker is available. This would be the kickpanels. This is due because frequency range from 200HZ and above are pathlenght dependent meaning that imaging would come out much better if the lenght of the right speaker from you is almost the same as that of the left. The smaller the difference, the better.

A negtive effect to this would be such that if the tweeter in the kicks arent properly angled, imaging would also suffer, also with staging and depth.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Depends on how much processing power your HU or equipment has... ex. time alignment etc...

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    experiment.

there is a general rule but it will boil down to the car sound acoustics.

sa ibang car mas maganda ang nasa malapit sa "woofer"..ung iba naman maganda kung nasa dash.

10. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    I have been asking around, and have been researching in the net about placements of seps. I have found that most use the kick panels to place their seps to get the best soundstaging. Unfortunately this is not for me. I might end up, as well as the passenger, to accidentally step on the seps.

Given this fear, I am opting to place the mid-woofer at the stock location (doors) and the tweeter on the dashboard. According to most, placing the tweeter high on the dashboard will create a high soundstage. Having a high, and stable soundstage is one of my primary goals.

This option is however being questioned by some. Some say that placing the tweeter on the dashboard, far from the mid-woofer would create problems particularly time alignment issues. This according to some, this would make the sound of the mid-bass "detached" from the highs. Smooth integration between the mid-woofer and the tweeter would be lost. Bad SQ some say.

I guess the more critical one gets, the more problems to encounter. Tsk Tsk Tsk

I was thinking..... Would it be wise then to buy a pair of 2-way coaxials to be placed in the stock door panels (this would answer the time alignment issues, as both mid-bass and highs are at a single point source)? Then, to attain my desired high soundstage, place additional separate tweeters on top of the dashboard?

My concern..... With a pair of 2 way coaxials, plus a pair of tweeters, would this be overkill? Would the highs be too much? If this option is doable, I can connect the tweeters and the coaxials at the "front" and "rear" speaker terminals of my HU respectively, and adjust via fader.

To wrap up, my goal is to achieve the best staging possible with good SQ (I'm not particular about maximum SPL). However, I do not like to use the kick panels for the placement of the seps. What's the next best alternative?

Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Separates - placement of woofer and tweeter