New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Hi guys,

Ive been canvassing for a new HU in Raon, Quaipo. Ive noticed the proliferation of cheaper brands of HUs. Before, I used to scoff at the likes of Proline and Japan Nippon. However, today, these cheaper brands have caught up in features and looks which could rival expensive models. For those who arent joining audio competitions, these might do the job.

I also came upon a shop selling Japanese surplus HU's which need FM converting so they can pick up reception properly.

What are your experiences regarding these units? Are they worth it? Which of the two, given a limited budget, will you suppose give better value?

Cheaper units:
    1) Proline
    2) AudioMobile
    3) Maxsound
    4) Wonder
    5) Iba pang sari-saring brands...
    At as low as P2700 meron ka nang CD player and USB port...At P4500 you can get DVD player and USB na. Warranty is about 6 months

I think AVT can be considered under this category:

Japanese surplus units: usually Kenwood, Pioneer, and Alpine... At around P3500 it'll be a 2-DIN CD and cassette combo. Conversion to Phlippine FM will cost around P600. Warranty is around 2 months.

This is actually a Brand vs. Brand New kind of scenario.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    personally i'd go for cheap pioneer HUs that costs 5-6k+.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    i'll go with the cheaper hu... kasi yung converted na surplus, yung display won't properly show the right station you are tuned in.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    webmiester, punta ka na lang sa shop ni jeff tan sa araneta ave. near big berts detailing.
    meron siyang mga "budget set-up meals", baka swak sa budget mo.
    meron din siyang post sa car finder section ng tsikot.com, search mo na lang.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    IMO ok naman tumunog ang Proline
    but mas flexible talaga mga pioneer, alpine HU
    go for 2ndhand nalang yung hindi galing japan
    pioneer sulit talaga kahit secondhand

6. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    i have an audiomobile hu installed on my ride for 8 months now and i am satisfied with it.

which is better? it's only a matter of preference and of course budget...

7. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    or it might be cheaper with more features pero the sound quality is poor...

8. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Personally speaking though, Im not too impressed by Alpine quality... The stock Alpine HU which came with our old corolla lost its LED lights early and I didn't like its audio output...kaya the suplus Alpine units don't appeal to me...

Also I noticed the availability of Budget DVD players with LCD screen. One of them, having a 3.5" screen and USB port costs only P8k, tapos pwede pa maging rear camera when backing up... A lot of name brands units are now made in low-cost China factory, kaya Im wondering how big a difference they make nowadays.

Look at CD-R King's CD's. Puro iba-iba brands pero they came from the same factories naman, kaya their qualities arent so far away many times...

9. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by knight21 View Post
    i have an audiomobile hu installed on my ride for 8 months now and i am satisfied with it.

which is better? it's only a matter of preference and of course budget...
    Im glad, cause Im going ttry the Audiomobile HU...I hope I become as satisfied with it as you are

10. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    ilang watts usually ung mga nasa raon like audio mobile? ok ba bass nya and sound quality?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Review of cheaper HUs vs Surplus Japan