New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    hello,

bago lang po ako dito. just want to ask the idea about amplifier bridging. i searched through google and now i want to ask those experienced sa mga setups (kasi puro theory yung mga nakita ko sa net)

tama po ba yung pagkakaintindi ko?

example lang po ito:
    100W amplifier(stereo mode)( 50W + 50W, 4 ohms speaker)

sa bridged mode, pag kinabit ko yung speaker na 4 ohms, nakikita ng amplifier yun as 2 ohms.

and added yung 50+50W so it is capable of delivering 100W, kaya mas maganda na 100W din yung speaker ko.

tama po ba yung pagkakaintindi ko? thanks

2. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Briding an amp basically combines 2 channels to use all power available. So your theoretical 50w x 2 amp * 4 ohms should give out around 200 watts when bridged. This is assuming your amp doubles it power when given a 2 ohm load. A bridged amp still sees 4 ohms but its a mono load. Take note that very few amps are capable of operating at loads lower than 4 ohms mono.

An example is the MTX TC2002 2 channel amp. Its rated at 50w x 2 at 4 ohms at 14.4 volts. Its bridged rating is 200 watts at *4 ohms * 4 ohms.
    http://www.cardomain.com/item/MTXTC2002

3. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    i see. medyo naintindihan ko na rin... meaning that if you bridge the amplifier, it doesnt mean na two times the wattage ang mapoproduce nya, it depends on the specification of the manufacturer(like with the MTX TC2002, 50W x 4 = 200W in bridge mode)

thanks for the reply sir.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Your Welcome. Eto pala ang better explanation. Taken from http://www.crutchfield.com/ISEO-rgbt..._glossary.html

Bridged Power
    When you bridge an amplifier, you combine the power output of two channels into one channel. Bridging allows you to drive one speaker with more power than the amp could produce for two speakers. Because of this high power output, bridging is an ideal way to drive a single subwoofer.

If your amp is bridgeable, the owner's manual will have directions that tell you how. Usually, an amp is bridged by connecting the speaker leads to the positive (+) terminal from one channel and the negative (-) terminal from the other channel. However, you should be sure to consult your owner's manual before attempting to bridge your amp.

Also, keep in mind that most amplifiers need to see a 4-ohm load when bridged to mono operation. If you want to bridge your amp, you should use one 4-ohm speaker or, if you prefer multiple woofers, wire two 8-ohm speakers in parallel. (Again, consult your manual before operating your amp in bridged mode.)

5. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Also, keep in mind that most amplifiers need to see a 4-ohm load when bridged to mono operation. If you want to bridge your amp, you should use one 4-ohm speaker or, if you prefer multiple woofers, wire two 8-ohm speakers in parallel. (Again, consult your manual before operating your amp in bridged mode.)
    hello,

thanks for that.

one more question. lets say na i want to use two subs in bridged mode, (example: the amplifier is capable of 200W * 4ohms load in bridged mode), and i want to almost utilize the 200W, does it mean i have to use two 100W 8ohms speaker?

6. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by GraveYardKiller View Post
    hello,

thanks for that.

one more question. lets say na i want to use two subs in bridged mode, (example: the amplifier is capable of 200W * 4ohms load in bridged mode), and i want to almost utilize the 200W, does it mean i have to use two 100W 8ohms speaker?
    yes or 2 dual voice coil subs that you will wire in series to make them * ohms each.

questions about amplifier bridging...