New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Which is the right rule:

1) The power (watt) capacity of the speaker should exceed the amplifier capacity.

or

2) The power capacity of the amplifier should exceed the speaker capacity.

Thanks for the reply.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Originally posted by wildthing
    1) The power (watt) capacity of the speaker should exceed the amplifier capacity.
    #1 <---The AMP's rating should fall within the upper half of the SUB's power range.;)

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Thanks for the reply. Meron kasing nakapagsabi sa akin that the #2 option is better ... kaya naguluhan ako. Thanks.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Pwede rin #2, lesser distortion at loud volumes.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    as a general rule number 2
    alam ko dapat mas malakas ang amp rating kesa speaker rating.

a 15watt amp with a 150w speaker result: fried speaker
    a 150w amp on a 15w speaker result: basag!

best talaga is matching within the speaker and amp's RMS rating not the max rating.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    mas malakas daw po dapat ang amp rating.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Di ba ang kasabihan nga daw, invest on the best amp possible. Speakers are easier and less costly to upgrade than amps.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    You've got me confused again guys!

Pasensya na at hindi ko forte ang ganito...but I'd be more than willing to learn. Here is the exact scenarios:

1) I have a pair of 12" diameter Dai-1chi Hi-Fi Woofer speaker which is 8 ohms and Max 50w as specified in the speaker specs. Its been with me since 1984 and I haven't used it.

Question are:

a) What kind of Amplifier rating should I match it to maximize its use?

I'm considering using it for a Home Theater option sana na low budget (and besides I like DIY). I'd probably be making an electronic kit for the amplifier.

b) I'll wish to make my own box too - anybody know where to get a good box dimension calculator?

'cause I have the necessary power tools and hand-skills to make one but no technical skills how to calculate the right dimensions for the speakers.

c) I heard some thing about making it as my BASS speakers and they said I need a cross-over "something"..... what the heck does that mean?

Hope for every gurus reply. Thanks a lot again.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ungas,
    for home theater, it is much better to invest in speakers, kasi tumatagal ang speakers, unlike receivers kasi ang daling magpalit ng models, dati surround lang tapos pro logic, tapos ngayon dolby digital and dts, ay meron bago na pala dolby digital-ex at dts-es
    di ko lang alam sa car sounds

wildthing,
    crossover is the device that separate the high, mid and the bass sound and pass it to each specific speaker
    high-tweeter
    mid-woofer
    bass-sub

on your 50w speaker, you can use 50w amp or less and full blast the volume. or 100w amp be sure the volume stays on half.
    get the picture?

as for DIY, ask glennster galing mag DIY yan.

check also speakers sensitivity (db) the higher the db the easy it would be to drive by the amp.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Thanks kim, how do I check the speaker sensitivity (dB). My old speaker was bought during the times na nagsisimula pa lang ang Daichi and they didn't specify any dB rating on it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Q on speaker and amplifier capacity