New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    ....there's this popping sound coming from the tweets. it pops or cracks once in a while (di naman tuloy tuloy). kaya minsan nagugulat ako at madalas naiirita.
    ...ano kaya yun? defective tweets, wiring, o sa amp kaya nanggagaleng?

...also, once i turn on the HU, there's this cracking sound bago tumunog yung music. this usually happens when i just turned on the ignition of my car, but if i turn off my HU tapos on uli, wala na yung parang garalgal na naririnig ko.

process of elimination, check the wiring, if you have an extra set of tweets test it also, also check the RCA connections, etc.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    baka basag na...

4. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by M54 Powered
    baka basag na...
    ...wag naman sana (1 week pa lang yun saken, brand new ko binili). tsaka di naman siya parang continous popping sound. it'll pop once in awhile.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    poor grounding? was the ground wire tapped into a bolt or body but not sanded to bare metal? How's the signal coming from the HU? RCA? LOC?

6. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    ...yun din ang hinala ng kaibigan ko eh. where do i locate that ground wire? sorry, medyo birhen pako sa mga audio eh. tinago kasi ng installer yung cables sa ilalim ng upholstery.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    pop sound? try mo kabit relay.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    ....ano ba yung tinatawag na "clipping"?

9. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    sa amp po yun sir, try mo yung wirings mo and yung sa ground mo sir...

10. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by scarab
    ....ano ba yung tinatawag na "clipping"?
    this is quite a mouthful...but it's the best definition of "clipping" i've seen so far.

Clipping

Amplifier distortion occurring when a high energy wave form (a very loud sound resulting in a large output) is input into an amplifier and the amplifier is unable to fully reproduce it due to power supply limitations or amplifier design limitations resulting in the audio output waves being cut off (the rounded tops sliced off resulting in short waves with flat tops). Clipping creates audible distortion and can be damaging to speakers especially if the clipping is hard and frequent.

Clipping generally occurs when an amplifier is playing at a high level and it is asked to output a large amplitude waveform (“tall” wave with lots of power). The amplifier clips when it does not have the power capability to correctly create the waveform. Instead, as the wave is built it hits a ceiling essentially not allowing the wave to go any higher. Since the amplifier cannot recreate the remaining portion of the wave rising above the “ceiling,” the wave is cut off.

Generally, the more power an amplifier has (especially relating to the quality of the amplifier’s power supply) the more immune it is to clipping. For this reason, larger amplifiers tend to provide better quality sound at loud listening levels since they clip less often (if at all) compared to similar but less powerful amplifiers.

Clipping may be heard in loudspeakers as an abnormal, non-musical sound. It is unpleasant and it may damage speakers (with tweeters being particularly susceptible). This occurs because a speaker cannot produce the flat-topped waveform sent to it by the clipping amplifier.

In order avoid clipping, do not play a sound system at excessively loud levels and make sure the amplifiers being used are large enough to recreate the sound levels in the given space. Generally, use the largest amplifiers reasonable, as they are less likely to clip and damage speakers. It is much more dangerous to clip loudspeakers by using a small amplifier lacking in power than to use a large amplifier even if that amplifier’s power ratings are greater than those recommended for a given speaker (distortion, and clipping in particular, causes damage not clean power from a quality amplifier).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
...popping sound coming from the tweets.