New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Hi guys, I'm using a 1995 Lancer GLXI, and I just changed my head unit to the Pioneer 3250 model. I paid Jeff a visit earlier and also tried reading the other threads about seps, but I'm still confused. (I want to upgrade step by step, since I'm still in 1st year college. Hehe.)

My budget is around 3-5k for the seps, and Jeff suggested that I get the Morel Maximo, which is 5.5k. Has anyone tried these seps already? I haven't seen a single review of this online...

If these are no good, what would the best alternatives be? TIA guys!

2. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Err, a bit lazy with rephrasing the same lines so I'd do a copy-paste rather.

Quote Originally Posted by jhnkvn View Post

For speakers: Hindi naman ako particular sa mga brands. But you're in safe hands sa mga reputable brands. Rather than the pang-masa Pioneers, step up into the likes of Morels, DLS, Focal kung kaya.. etc.

MB Quartz used to make competitive speakers, hangang ngayon okay parin sila but over the years.. their sales lagged. Plus, meron sila mga issues dati regarding quality. And so, I'll avoid them unless malaki yun discount nila (parang dati nagka-sale yun Mickey's AutoSounds ng Quartz..)

Morels take 2nd place. I like their tonal quality but their highs might leave you a bit dazed. Madami umaagal that they're too "bright"

DLS is a rising competitor to Focal. Madami na rin nagconvert to DLS especially after hearing their UP6

Focal still remains the industry leader IMO and their brand name alones carry some value . Probably biased lang cguro ako since I was spoiled with their PolyKevlar lineup...

Verdict: I think you should first "hear" them. Mga ibang tao ayaw sa morel due to their treble range, but I'm pretty fine with it. Magpa-audition ka muna kamo since iba iba taste natin.

So, for me:

Top-Tier: Focal, DLS
    2nd Tier: Morel, Cadence

P.S. Wala akong opinions about Fidelity. Targa's quite good too.. bang per buck talaga.. pero kung kaya mo mag-Morel, go for it. Don't compromise on seps..they comprise most of your listening experience.
    These are merely my sound preference since I'm one of those people who don't like Morel's treble and finds Focals more "natural" sounding.. Then again, most users who upgraded to a Morel from stock speakers would still reap endless praise to their Morels. So is it a good buy? Yes it is.

GO ka lang kay Jeff Tan, he's pretty well known in Philippine automotive forums. If you're still questioning, you might ask for auditions. If not, roam around Banawe area.. malapit lang naman siya sa Araneta Ave eh.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Thanks po sa reply! And thanks talaga sa advice, unfortunately the focals and the DLS UP6 are pretty much out of the budget , so I guess I would have to go for either the Morels or the MB Quartz. Unfortunately again, Jeff will only have stock sometime in the third week of January, so I guess I'll have to wait to try it out.

If I get MB Quartz po, can you recommend a certain model to me? Hehe, thanks again so much.

I have a question though about auditioning . How exactly does this work po? Do I ask them to try it out one by one in my car? Or... well, I'm not really familiar with this, hehe sorry for the extremely noob question.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Sorry, isa pa pong pahabol na tanong...

What is deadening, and is it important to have good sound?

Thanks a million!

5. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    DLS and Focals have entry-level seps pagnatatandaan ko. It's those DLS Entry X-level program or something while Focals have their Access lineup.

As for models for MB Quartz, sadly, wala ako experience dyan so can't really help. However, take note that these audio manufacturers have their own "sound signature" which is mostly consistent throughout their product lineup. So some sound veterans "attests" that they know whether the sound is a Morel or a Quartz.. of course, for me.... bah... anu ba difference?

For now, I often use Mickey's AutoSound's website (http://mickeysautosound.com) for the general update of prices (matagal na rin nagpakabit ng sounds.. 2006-07 pa). Take note that prices are cheaper in real life.

Not all shops (in fact, rarely lang) that sell audio products let them audition the speakers. Auditioning is simply letting somebody hear your sound. You can bring your favorite CD kung gusto mo to hear the difference. And no, auditioning is done in the shop's location (kung meron sila) or most commonly by just sitting through a auditioner's car (let's say I have a Focal and I invite you to hear it inside the car) most car auditioning are done informally (mostly through friends.. tapos you gather at one spot to hear the sound.. etc.)

Deadening is when you apply sound-proofing materials to your car's doors and bottom (pwede din yun top). Their aim is to.. duh, deaden sound. Ganito lang concept nila: "The quieter it is in the cabin, the better you will discern the details". Not to mention that people crank the music up in response to loud traffic, it also saves your ears over time. Not much people deaden their car, but it's recommended by audio enthusiasts all the same.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Thanks po again, it seems na ikaw lang po yung nagrereply sa akin. Hahaha.

Sayang yung seps, I actually really want the Pheonix Gold RSD's but I can't seem to find them here in the Philippines. I forgot to state this in my first post.

Now, however, it seems that my grandmother is coming home from the US, so I may have a chance to grab a set of PG RSD's.

Given this, how would you compare the Phoenix Gold rsd65cs to the Morel Maximo 6 and the entry level na DLS seps? Kamusta po yung mga midbass nila? Thanks again and again and again! Lol .

7. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Nah, can't comment personally since I don't give judgements until I personally hear the sound.

Based on reviews, it looks good though (http://caraudiomag.com/articles/phoe...speaker-review). I especially like the line "one of the best speakers for sound at this price range (under $200), this set is the cheapest on the list but doesn't fall that far behind for audio quality" in their Top 10 speakers..... which has Morel Supremos on their #2... hmm.. time na magtaya sa lotto.. wahaha..

Morel Maximo 6 is still one of the favorite bang-per-buck seps (if not, the favorite among the entry-levels) up in the Philippine market though.

Hehe, ingat sa pagsmuggle ng PG to the Philippines :D Definitely DO NOT deliver them. Customs tax so much.. hell, they once taxed me 1.5k on my DHL package worth approx 600php.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Hi there! Kamusta na!

I was finally able to get the Morels yesterday, and I am extremely happy with them. I was not planning on getting an amp anytime soon, pero may nagbebenta ng second hand na sound magus c160, so I think I will go for it. Gusto ko sana kung powerbass asa600.4, pero 5k lng kasi yung benta ng c160. Any thoughts po?

Thanks again!

9. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Jzer View Post
    Hi there! Kamusta na!

I was finally able to get the Morels yesterday, and I am extremely happy with them. I was not planning on getting an amp anytime soon, pero may nagbebenta ng second hand na sound magus c160, so I think I will go for it. Gusto ko sana kung powerbass asa600.4, pero 5k lng kasi yung benta ng c160. Any thoughts po?

Thanks again!
    5k is roughly half of the price. So if it comes from a reputable source, go snatch one up. However, be wary. Ever since after ng Ondoy, there are a lot of second hand car audio products that flooded the market. Ito yun tipong binaha na tpos binebenta nalang nila sa mga unsuspecting buyers.

Isa na rin ako doon dati sold off my (technically parang donation..) Focal Polykevlars for 2k. Why the super low price? It's already floodwater-damaged. As in nagka-waves na yun cone. Sold it off to a friend who wants to tinker with it. Hahaha..

10. Join Date
    Dec 2010
    yung DLS x-sc62 6.5" sep speaker san mas maganda compare sa morel maximo? sa mga budget na 5-6k anong seps ba ok kunin?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast