New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Could you guys help me in picking a good method for using my iPod as a source of music

1) FM Transmitters are definitely out. They're noisy. They hiss even if theres no music playing. It struggles in the metro where the FM frequencies are strong

2) FM Modulators - slightly more expensive, installation required, less noise than FM Transmitters(2a), power(2b)
    2a) how much noise should I expect?
    2b) I havent tried these, but I expect the volume will be just as low, same as:::

3) Cassette Adapters - cheapest solution, but theres still some noise(from the cassette adapter itself, not from outside interference). I've tried these, however the power/volume is a concern. My music being played is ridiculous low; if I pump up the volume, the hiss just becomes much more noticeable while the music volume is still just as low

4) Auxiliary Input Adapters/Line Out Connection - my car doesnt have aux in, so I would need to get an adapter for it
    4a) would this negate the power/volume concern if I use the line out from ipod (instead of the headphone jack of the ipod using an LoD) straight to the Auxiliary In?

4b) what kind of socket/connectivity would my head unit need for me to add an Auxiliary Input Adapter?

5) Replacement Head Unit that has an auxiliary in, or is designed for playing ipods - Since this is the most expensive solution of all 5 choices, this would have to be my last resort

2. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    I use Option number 4 -- since my headunit has aux-in but has no usb function.

iPods have a standard socket size of 3.5mm as well as headunits, so it will fit perfectly well. The cable I bought over a year ago at Ace Hardware for 80 pesos still does its job.

However, since you're going to change your headunit in the process might as well get a good headunit. At least the one that can accomodate USBs. At least you can play good music through your USB even though your iPod isn't around. But then, it costs more than of a standard headunit with aux-in like what I have.

BTW, no offense but cassette players are already old-school. My car used to have one, I tried using FM transmitters .. it sucks. I got fed up, and bought a new headunit instead. One that can accommodate CDs and as i've said, aux-in.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Go with option 5. Ang aux-in kasi, in my case, is ok naman, though you need to increase your volume level sa head unit. Kahit sagad na sa iPod, hindi pa rin ganun kalakas sa head unit. Besides, there are lot of head units na with USB's or supports iPod/iPhone that are not really expensive. Usually, prices of those head units start at around 5k, depending on the brand and features of the unit.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by testament11 View Post
    Go with option 5. Ang aux-in kasi, in my case, is ok naman, though you need to increase your volume level sa head unit. Kahit sagad na sa iPod, hindi pa rin ganun kalakas sa head unit. Besides, there are lot of head units na with USB's or supports iPod/iPhone that are not really expensive. Usually, prices of those head units start at around 5k, depending on the brand and features of the unit.
    Yup, yun nga lang test. When I play music via aux-in my volume is usually around 27-30

Kapag CD naman it hardly goes above 25. Mga 22 lang siya.

And yup, +/- 5k with USB function. Yung pioneer ko, though, na walang USB 3k lang bili ko. Haha.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    since you guys are using the Aux In, have you tried using an LoD(Line Out) to 3.5mm to connect the ipod, instead of 3.5mm-3.5mm(which uses the ipod's headphone out, which has a weaker signal)?

LoD to 3.5m:

i think it will help with the loudness/volume issue

6. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ZWD40 View Post
    since you guys are using the Aux In, have you tried using an LoD(Line Out) to 3.5mm to connect the ipod, instead of 3.5mm-3.5mm(which uses the ipod's headphone out, which has a weaker signal)?

LoD to 3.5m:

i think it will help with the loudness/volume issue
    Hmmmm, I think sa ganitong cable, mukhang magkakaroon ng quality loss. Mas maganda pa rin kasi ang via USB.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2012
    meron wireless modulator for ipod kagaya nito.. CDR KING

8. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by darkmatter269 View Post
    meron wireless modulator for ipod kagaya nito.. CDR KING
    thats an FM transmitter
    that's noisy and the signal is weak

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    From an FM transmitter, we just grabbed a new head unit from Raon (Php2,700). It's a Pioneer knock off. Actually mas mura pa sana pero we got one that can also read DVD discs.

Ok naman siya. I'd go with the new head unit option. Considering how low prices of head units have become lately. Install should not cost you more than Php300.00 in most places.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2012
    fm modulator din yan sir kagaya ng choice mo na nasa number 2 kaso wireless lang siya at built for ipod... hindi ko alam kung ano ang tinutukoy mo na fm modulator.. ang alam ko kasi na FM modulator is yun nilalagay mo sa car cigar socket which cost less than 500php..
    pero based sa experience ko sa fm modulator ok naman siya hindi naman maingay o mahina signal yan kasi gamit ko before...

mas maganda bili ka na lang ng HU

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Playing iPods in the car